Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have added an article on Canadian Pacific's R.M.S. EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND to my blog "Wanted on Voyage"

This is a comprehensive operational history of this magnificent vessel, following up my previous account of her as EMPRESS OF JAPAN.

Peter Kohler
Yellow Naval architecture Font Watercraft Rectangle

·
Registered
460 Posts
When growing up on the Isle of Bute, Scotland, as a wee boy, I would cycle to Kilchattan Bay, and tramp to the Rubh' an Eun Lighhouse on southern tip of the island, it was the narrowest point, between Bute and ***brae, the main shipping channel for liners heading to the Tail o' the Bank, where the ships would drop anchor, and paddle steamers would meet the liners and ferry the passengers ashore to Greenock. My favourite ship, was the beautiful Empress of Scotland, three yellow funnells with unique Canadian Pacific logo with red and white squares, she was a magnificent sight heading up the Firth of Clyde, with Isle of Arran to the west, and Ayrshire coast to the east. Would watch her as far as I could see, and she was just a white dot by the time she reached Toward Lighthouse. It was my childhood dream, to work on this magnificent liner, but sadly she was withdrawn from service in 1957, New tonnage with Empress of England, Canada and Britain were introduced just before Scotland was withdrawn. It was to be another 9 years before I joined Shaw Savill Line, and already within a few years Empress of England was purchased by Shaw Savill, and renamed Ocean Monarch. As long haul aircraft had started services to Australia and New Zealand, the writing was on the wall for the passenger liners, and all our fleet sold to the breakers by 1975.
Jamie Shedden (Brandane)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts