Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wikipedia states that a "ship "Potosi" was a five-masted steel barque built in 1895 by Joh. C. Tecklenborg ship yard in Geestemünde, Germany, for the sailing ship company F. Laeisz as a trading vessel".
The attached file is from the Sydney Morning Herald; dated 15 December 1885, reporting the arrival of R.M.S. POTOSI (Orient Company's ship) from London to Australia.
Among those on board were John TAMLIN. He may have been a crew member. I have been unable to verify the 'over 550 passengers'; however, it is possible that John was one of the 29 classified as 'for Adelaide'.
I believe that he was on this voyage, as the Register of Royal Adelaide Hospital Admissions dated 08/01/1890 records the following:
Age 66yrs; Place of Birth Cornwall, England; Time in Colony 5yr; Ship by which arrived "Potosi".
Can anyone throw some light on the conflict of dates? e.g.1885, as per the Sydney Morning Herald which is ten years earlier than the 1895 built date in the Wikipedia entry.
Were there in fact 2 ships,
1 (pre 1885) for the Orient Company and
2 (1895) for the German Company F. Laeisz.
I would also appreciate any suggestions as to where I could find the list of Crew and/or Passengers for the 1885 voyage. (I have been unable to find anything in data bases in Australia.)
I hope someone can assist with this query,
(From South Australia)

Attachments

· Registered
139 Posts
Hi Lola,
this is the correct POTOSI (1880-1887 Orient Line):

The other one from F. Laeisz was a cargo square rigger sailing ship:

This is (part of?) the arrival list:
Rgds, Manfred

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou Manfred for your response. I appreciate your assistance and would not have 'found' this info on my own. It will enable me to continue my discovery, and maybe find other voyages within the timeframe, to see which one lists 'John TAMLIN'. Doing another search on Wikipedia, I have also found an article regarding this 'POTOSI' vessel, including details and history. As more info is added online daily, it is a continual 'treasure hunt'
Bye for now, and again thankyou - Pam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts