Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
R.m.s. Titanic

The famous White Star Liner TITANIC, unfortunately, never had the chance to grow 'old' but should certainly be considered a 'lady' during her very brief career.
She is seen above departing on her ill-fated voyage from Southampton on April 10th, 1912.
Readers living in Belfast might like to visit the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum which has an extensive range of TITANIC postcards, posters and booklets on the topic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Had a program on Titanic Saturday nite (13) JP was mentioned quite a lot and they showed you the wireless hut with the rheostats and main breakers quite clearly, the R/O even switched the breakers off before leaving, some of the wiring still visable.
In one of the staterooms the clock is still on the mantle shelve stopped at 02.20 and in the pantry are rows of unbroken plates still in their racks.Unbroken engraved windows still in place on prom deck windows.

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Alhough it is not often mentioned by the Titanic industry, there is a memorial in Cherbourg, to all who died and those who joined the voyage at the French port.

Fred

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Southampton has a fine memorial to the ships engineers of the Titanic, also a plaque nearby to the musicians who played while she was sinking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
does any one knows anything about a bookcase that was ordered for RMS Titanic, and was wayting for her return in Belfast?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Almost all of the furniture for Titanic was made internall by Harland & Wolff in the carpenters shop. Several items of furniture were not ready when the vessel sailed and consequently were disposed off in various ways. One of the most well known is a large table and chairs which found its way to the offices of the Belfast Harbour Commissioners where it is in use in the boardroom. As for a bookcase I am not awre of one but it is possible such an item was late for the ship. If it was a small one it probably found its way to a "private" home i.e sombody nicked it!

·
Banned
21 Posts
Titanic

Now, Now, what scurrilous remarks, surely nobody nicks things in shipyards do they ? , especially items such as you mention. I am sure the items mentioned have only been borrowed until the ship returns, then they will be handed back, I am quite sure.

Chris.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
I seen that show on the telly last week,its was great, the camera even went into the Turkish Bath, yes the radio room with the breakers was something to see.
John

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
OK I apologise, perhaps it was a bit unfair to say we "nicked things" in the shipyard. What I should have said was relocated them to a shore based installation. You would be amazed at the number of houses painted Battleship Grey whenever we had an MoD contract.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Belfast City Council have just spent £70.000 on a consultants report regarding the Titanic which recommended a "light sculpture" of the vessel be erected in the Thompson Dock as a tourist attraction. This "memorial" would comprise a string of lights to outline the vessel profile and be completely "see-through" Sounds to me like 70 grand straight down the drain. Titanic in fairy lights I ask you !!

·
Registered
27 Posts
About that bookcase,
I heard (and saw it on tv) that it was up for sale, But it was too big , so nobody wanted it.
I don't know if it's true, not everything they say on tv is.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Bet you didn't know "Titanic" returned to dock in a car park and it lasted longer than the original.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
The British Titanic Society will not hold its annual convention in Southampton next year but will move to Britannia Aldelphi Hotel in Liverpool next April 06, some of the 1200 members were not too happy with hotel arrangements in Soton. also many members live in the north. Liverpool was where she was registered and White Star had there head office there, and as the offices are still there people will be shown around same.The Martime museum and the Titanic archives are also in the town helped to sway the move. Millvina Dean (93) survivor of Titanic said she would not be going to Liverpool as it was to far to travel.

·
Registered
949 Posts
If they were not happy in Southampton then they will wish they had been on the Titanic when they stay at the Adelphi.

I stayed there last year for all of one night of a 3 night stay because I thought I would catch something in my opinion expensive and appalling venue.

I say good luck to them.

Paul

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Perhaps that might bring them back to Southampton in 2007, the hotel said it would like to see them back.Apparently quite a few southerners are a bit annoyed about the trip up north.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts