Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see the old photographs in the Daily Mail the other day showing the Met police in days of old. One picture was captioned that they were using RT - stands for Radio Telegraphy. Couldn't see the morse key though !!

David
+

·
Banned
21 Posts
Did anyone see the old photographs in the Daily Mail the other day showing the Met police in days of old. One picture was captioned that they were using RT - stands for Radio Telegraphy. Couldn't see the morse key though !!

David
+
I think they meant Radio Transmissions, David - the press never get things right.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
R/T used to stand for Radio Telephone,W/T for Wireless Telegraphy.I have seen an old do***entary about the French Police and they had morse keys in the car.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The Met used to place recruitment adverts in the REOU 'Signal' and the MNAOA 'Telegraph' for ROs with a morse speed of 20-25 wpm during the 70's.

(Thumb)

·
Super Moderator (L)
1,742 Posts
The Sweeney on W/T - that conjours up some interesting pictures in the mind !

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Met used to place recruitment adverts in the REOU 'Signal' and the MNAOA 'Telegraph' for ROs with a morse speed of 20-25 wpm during the 70's.

Was this possibily for Interpol nets at the time?

Mark

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a friend whos father was a wt operator at Scotland Yard there was a picture of him at the key on display in New Scotland Yard when my friend [ex superintendent ] showed me around the black museum and the rest of the yard , I wouldnt like to have used wt in a car chase ?

·
Registered
879 Posts

Was this possibily for Interpol nets at the time?

Mark
I believe it could have been - indeed the French CRS used morse well into the 80s.

(Thumb)

·
Banned
48 Posts
RT or WT, that is the Key...

I thought they had a senior officer in the force called Inn Spectre Morse… but maybe he just hung around like a ghost checking up on licensing hours and making key points…..(Jester)

·
Super Moderator (L)
1,742 Posts
Tonga, with comments like that, I really think you need to spend a little recuperation time on that new island of yours !!!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Flying Squad

I have a copy of The Marconi Book of Wireless published in 1936 there are three pictures illustrating use of morse by the Met. Hope this comes out OK. Just like the overcoats and hats. Cheers, Roger

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts