Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
John (Flower)

I hope the following helps. As there were three ships called mercury in 1963 I leave it to you to decide which one is correct.

BALTISTAN GQSV, GRIT MXZL, WANDSWORTH MNOJ, CITY OF ELY MFJM, HAWKWOOD GCLR, PORT VICTOR MSWK, BOWCOMBE GCMW,TEAKWOOD GHTJ, MERCURY GJXH/MRFJ/ZFDB, RETRIEVER GHMP.

Best regards
John

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Hi

My father Charles Sleightholme was Master of the Corbeach from the early sixties to when he retired in 1971. I remember him telling me that he was always having trouble with the welsh dockers because he insisted on having the steele ingots tack welded together. It apperantly affected their bonus.

Just before he retired Corys were trying to sell the Corbeach and a party from British Nuclear Fuels visited the ship as they were interested in her for transporting Nuclear waste to Japan. The old man told them that the ship was too unstable for such a voyage or cargo. Not sure if Cory's were pleased with him about that.

Did a few trips myself on the Corbeach during school summer holidays. I was always in the 2nd Mates on the port side. The 2nd Mate thought that cabin was too noisy so he resided in the Pilot's cabin on the stardboard side which was next one down the alleyway to the Radio officers cabin.
I was on the Corbeach at the end of the 1960s I'll look up the skipper in my discharge book....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seems Im coming a bit late on the scene, how time flies.Can anyone help me with the call signs for the following BALTISTAN, GRIT, WANDSWORTH, CITY OF ELY, HAWKWOOD, PORT VICTOR, BOWCOMBE,TEAKWOOD, MERCURY, RETRIEVER, all between 1959 and 1965. Appreciate yr help
John Flower.
Hi John,
From the 1960 Signal Letters of British Ships I have the Wandsworth listed as MNDJ, City of Ely GCNQ and the Retriever as MRYW.
Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
To John Leary and Dryden, many thanks for the call signs brilliant service.
I swallowed the anchor on the Mercury/GJXH in 65, emigrated and spent the next 26 years signing VJQ in Kalgoorlie Western Australia as R/O with the Royal Flying Doctor service, a bit like Portihead but with land stations, however never forgotten the key.....Cheers All John flower

·
Registered
267 Posts
There are no coast stations active on 500 kc/s though a move is afoot to secure this frequency by the American Maritime Radio Historical Society for museum and historical initiatives. Tests have been carried out between two former American coast stations KPH in California and KLB Seattle.
According to official do***ents I have seen at work there are still a few CRSs operating on 500 kHz - almost all in Russia and South East Asia (espcially in Indonesia). In reality I suspect their operation is minimal but as they still appear in official lists of Radio Signals we have to assume the capability is still there. Probably for non-GMDSS vessels (local traffic) only who may still carry an R/O.

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
According to official do***ents I have seen at work there are still a few CRSs operating on 500 kHz - almost all in Russia and South East Asia (espcially in Indonesia). In reality I suspect their operation is minimal but as they still appear in official lists of Radio Signals we have to assume the capability is still there. Probably for non-GMDSS vessels (local traffic) only who may still carry an R/O.
The efficacy of Indonesian coast stations on 500 kcs was pretty poor in the days when everyone was using it. They are probably still sitting at their consoles reading newspapers and ignoring everything that's going on, same as they did years ago. Nobody told them that it's all over.

John T

41 - 48 of 48 Posts