Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got quite a few photographs but not of sufficient quality to send. My Marwarri trip was from late 1960 to early 1961. (The exact dates have been left out of my discharge book for some reason). I remember the beer quite well (unless we had a different lot). It was in boxes, no labels, likely heineki, and not to be touched until clear of sand heads. Have a marvellous Gus Loedwik story, too long tonight but definitely on a future occasion. Another name - do you remember Dave Courtenay. 2nd R/O? Where are you living now? I still do a bit of marine consultancy work after leaving Esso when I terminated my sea going career. Living in Lymington on South Coast. Somewhere in my attic I have the names of all those I have sailed with. I'll look them out. Tony Greenwood

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thanks for that Derek, its great to see him. Here is a picture of us having dinner at Maxims (air cond. restuarant) in the Grand Hotel, Calcutta. L to R is Colin 4th eng. Peter Boggon purser, Beryl my wife and then me ist R/0 ss Marwarri;1960.
Notice how Pete is leaning his head to his right just as in your picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
A.G.Greenwood said:
Got quite a few photographs but not of sufficient quality to send. My Marwarri trip was from late 1960 to early 1961. (The exact dates have been left out of my discharge book for some reason). I remember the beer quite well (unless we had a different lot). It was in boxes, no labels, likely heineki, and not to be touched until clear of sand heads. Have a marvellous Gus Loedwik story, too long tonight but definitely on a future occasion. Another name - do you remember Dave Courtenay. 2nd R/O? Where are you living now? I still do a bit of marine consultancy work after leaving Esso when I terminated my sea going career. Living in Lymington on South Coast. Somewhere in my attic I have the names of all those I have sailed with. I'll look them out. Tony Greenwood
Hello Tony,
I do recall Dave Courtenay now you have given his name. He was on his first sea trip with us, a fair haired chubby young fellow. We lost the main transmitter coming into the Hughli, the output valve... a huge beam tetrode had failed. We had two spares. As Dave passed me the first one he dropped it! Bust!
He passed me the second one, I installed it and as I was applying the anode connection the top cap snapped off! What to do now?
I sat down with the valve wrapped in towels held between my knees, my face wrapped in towels and goggles on. Then very slowly filed sufficient glass away from the pip to expose a tiny bit of connection wire. Then Dave and I gingerly soldered the top cap back on and very carefully installed it..... and we were on air again... phew!.
It was not only beer we got from the chandler, I had a dozen bottles of bacardi and a dozen bottles of gin in my wardrobe. There was a good deal of vintage French wine going the rounds as well as champagne. That trip was a bit special.
I hope you post the crew list and some pictures when you get into your attic.
I'm in Whitby, Yorks. have alook at my profile.
regards
Harry

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Almost unbelievably because I am very internet literate I have only just found this site. What a find. I started by doing a quick search on "Brocklebank" and have been happily reading for the last hour or so. I intended to post comments on lots of threads but briefly I wanted to say hello here.

Arthur Orum recruited me in March 1964. I had just got my 1st Class ticket at Riversdale and just wandered in to Cunard Building and asked if there were any jobs. Whoever was on reception introduced me to Arthur and I spent an hour or so being interviewed, was introduced to Ben Lonsdale which I presume was the final stamp of approval, and then told I had got a job. I joined the Matra in Royal Albert Dock 10 days later and there met Gordon Caddy for the first time.

I didn't have much to to do with Ben Lonsdale but he always seemed very gentlemanly, I thought the world of Arthur but never seemed to get on very well with Gordon. When Bill Curry went ashore I thought he was great and he tried briefly to get me to consider going ashore in 1970 but I wasn't cut out for that. I was greatly saddened to hear about his death.

I look forward to many happy hours renewing acquaintances on here.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Thanks Harry. I liked your beam tetrode story but not as much as the one where you had loads of ex bonded booze from Cal. What sort of trip is that? Probably the only trip in your life where you had a relatively low bar bill I'll wager? (Pint)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have only just noticed this posting.
Pete Fuller must be the one I knew at Riversdale College when we started training in 1955. I heard that he went ashore and joined the Glasgow police, probably soon after the Marwarri.
I remember that her nickname was "more worry" and once coasted on her to Birkenhead
Also Capt Saxby was Mate on Matra in about 1958 - 59; he was always singing "my canary's got circles under his eyes". Why do we remember such stuff?

Bill

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cunarder said:
A classic - just a pity Arthur Orum isn't in shot to complete the picture

Alan Marsden
Never thought I'd see those faces again - some stories in there such as Dennis Williamson being stopped by the police en route to Southampton with a 9' radar scanner strapped to the top of his car! As for Mike Norton, well.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Peter boggon

Harry Nicholson said:
Thanks for that Derek, its great to see him. Here is a picture of us having dinner at Maxims (air cond. restuarant) in the Grand Hotel, Calcutta. L to R is Colin 4th eng. Peter Boggon purser, Beryl my wife and then me ist R/0 ss Marwarri;1960.
Notice how Pete is leaning his head to his right just as in your picture.
Now that is how I remember Pete Boggon, who was 2nd Steward on the Macharda with me, John Picquet being the Purser/Ch Stwd.
Anyone heard the whereabouts of John?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Also Capt Saxby was Mate on Matra in about 1958 - 59; he was always singing "my canary's got circles under his eyes". Why do we remember such stuff? oglebilluk

Bill,
If you were on the Matra in `58 -`59 we definately sailed together as she was my home from Aug `58 for a year (2 trips) Master Capt Tom Fox-Lloyd.

"Cyclone" had quite a repertoire of ditties did`nt he, "Beans beans good for the heart.......the rest must be censored" as he ambled into the Saloon with looks of questioning approval at what us apprentices were eating at our small table in the corner.....

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Hello. My name is Roger Bentley and I was 1R/O on the Magdapur for a voyage commencing 31 October 1958 ending 26 May 1959. Dave Courtenay was the second R/O and I am pretty sure that was his first ship in Brocks. He was a small rather shy chap from the Manchester area I think. Reading all the messages with great interes. Wish I had joined earlier. Regards. Roger

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Welcome Bentley Sahib. For those of you who don't know Roger is a stalwart of The Radio Officers' Association and has been editor of QSO for numerous years. He has just hung up his typewriter and I am sure he will spend many hours on here with his new found time!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Thank You Tony, For the publicity! I wish to correct one point in my last message, the Courtenay I sailed with was called Desmond, Des for short. Still catching up. Ek Dum Thikai Sahibs. Regards, Roger Bentley

·
Registered
242 Posts
hello Derek,
<< I don't recall that name... mind you, some mornings I don't recall my own.
Just now I recall the 1st mate of the Marwarri was Bill Milne from Drumnadrochit>>

Sounds like the same Bill Milne who had been a 2nd Mate during my day ...very smooth...good with the ladies! Liked the odd dram!

ted

·
Registered
20 Posts
My very first ship in Brocks was 2nd R/O on the Manipur/GBJZ in early 1958. The Chief R/O was Roger Goodson. On walking up the gangway the first person I met was the 1st Mate Billy Milne (AKA Drumnadrochet) lying in the alleyway with a large rifle (unloaded) trying out his aim. Behind him was the
2nd mate Tom Parry practicing his golf swing. They were an interesting pair and immediately introduced me to Tenants Lager which was 6d a can. What a way to start my seagoing career. I never looked back.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Well! This site is amazing and to think I almost packed it in! Anyway Tony, I'm raking around in what remnants of memory I have and trying to place you, any chance of a photo? I really value your post though, you have given me the surname of Gus Loedwig which is marvellous. Among all those I sailed with he stands out with his huge presence, a lovable and loyal rogue who made a staunch friend. Which Marwarri trip were you on, May-Nov 1960 or Dec60- April 61 ? On the first one my wife was with us as supernumery, the Purser was Pete Boggon, that was the trip when the Calcutta chandlers made our ship a gift of masses of bonded alcohol with decomposed labels out of a bonded store (been there for years). Gus was captured by the Madras customs lowering a load of it into a bum boat. We went home via the States, Savannah first. I recall that Gus had a motorbike with him and would drive around Calcutta on it, one day a plump lady of Calcutta riding pillion bounced off and landed in the grass on the Maidan.
Second trip Gus had his arm in a sling much of the time and was sent home from Calcutta on another ship I think. When we arrived in Liverpool he met us at the quayside with a new motor cycle and side car (wife sat inside) painted in Brocklebanks colours. On that second trip the Super flew out from UK and stopped the chipping of the hull in Kidderpore Dock, Marwarri was so rotten the chipping hammers were going through the bows. We had some new plates affixed and they sent us home, the bunkers were oozing through and down the plates! As she had been mined and sunk during the war I was beginning to lose confidence in her. On the way through the Med a freak wave hit us and set the windlass back three inches and we took a lot of water into the forward hold among 300 tons of Sudanese cotton... which was a bit of a worry. The masts whipped and my aerials came down, I fell out of my chair in the radio room and hurt a finger which troubled me for a good few years afterwards.
Bill Milne was the 1st mate (from Drumnadrochit) and Capt Saxty in charge on both trips. Capt Saxty for me is the 'bearer of the archetype' of the sea captain. Gus the carpenter does not fit any human type I've met before or since, he was unique.
Anyway which of those trips were you on the Marwarri... remind me please.
I would like to be prompted about Les Flockhart the purser... I can't seem to recall his face. On the first trip a Colin was 4th eng. a Jeff was chief eng, and Brian the 5th. The 2nd mate was also Colin. These are from photo's, I dont have surnames (do you?)
Anyway which of those trips were you on?
Would the Chief Engineer be Geoff Guest ? and the 2nd Mate Colin Kingston from Doncaster ??
" Drum "was quite well known as he carried his 12 G/G shotgun with him and apparently have the crew throw empty beer cans( which were in plentifull suppy ) up over the side "to keep his eye in " There was a yarn he shot a seagull or albatros by mistake and the old man threw a fit !

Derek

21 - 40 of 50 Posts