Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I was recently contacted by a fine gentlemen aged 88 who had been at sea as an R/O with Brock's during the war. He was enquiring about Tony Sprigings' book and was keen to chat about old times.

His name was Peter Stuart and he sounded very sprightly. I may not have this story completely correct but he had coasted with Ben Lonsdale and was due to go deep sea on Maidan (I think, Peter told me the ship but to my fury I am not now completely sure which one ) but Ben was due to be CR/O on another ship and wanted Peter to go with him. Peter was duly replaced and left the Brock's ship which sadly was sunk during the voyage - if it was indeed Maidan it would have been sunk by Admiral Scheer. I told him Ben had been in charge of the Radio and Electronics Department at the time of my recruitment and Peter's words to me were "I owe my life to Ben Lonsdale". A poignant memory indeed.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hello sparkie2182,

I sailed with Harry on the Mahseer/GZSV when I was a first trip Chota Marconi Sahib in 1963. A great guy who taught me a lot. He was always making up little ditties or translating nursery rhymes into pidgin hindi, mostly unprintable in a genteel forum like this

= bv John + VA

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
harry............

i sailed wih harry as 2 r/o in the mid 70s on the act boats.
he was from beverley in yorkshire, and was great with me.... taught me everything ,really.
he was regarded as a bit of a loner by most of the crew, and was quite eccentric in many ways.
i wonder if others on the board remember him...........

73s

sparkie2182

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Hi there Sparkie

I sailed with Harry on the Cunard Princess/C6CG - I have posted a photo from that time in the Gallery. A great bloke...!

Alan Marsden

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi Sparkie
I sailed with Harry as 2nd R/O on two deep sea voyages on Mahseer in 1963 and 1964 and there are a couple of stories of my experiences
with him posted in the Brocklebank forum. He was an extremely helpful and supportive chief and someone who was extremely patient particularly
with nervous first trippers. As you say he lived in Beverley and at the time I sailed with him had a young wife and small daughter who I guess now would be a mother in her own right. I never saw Harry as a loner as he was always extremely sociable but he did not join in with all of the social drinking in the bar that represented the off-duty social life of Mahseer,
particularly when Captain Nuttall was master. I will always remember his great sense of humour and the trouble he went to on the last voyage I spent with him to get a coffee table that he had made in Colombo on-board and off-loaded in London when we returned to the UK. It was good to see how he
progressed as the company changed but I have never learnt what happened to him as the fleet diminished. Perhaps he retired before the very end. He was a smashing guy and someone I will always remember with great affection.
Regards
John

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
ref harry j

many thanks john and alan

i enjoyed the photo of harry in the cramped radio shack on the princess.
makes the radio room of the act ships seem palatial.
when i last saw harry.....i was on the dockside in glv.......seaforth

he was dispatched to home, and i took over the ship.....promoted from 2 r/o to senior.
he was to go on to join the cunard princess......and.....if i remember rightly....one of the fruit ships we bought from salem.
his last months on the act run were less than happy for him, a constant feud with the ships master being a daily problem.
i hope his time on the princess was happier for him.....i have the best memories of him as a lovely man.......patient and concientious (maybe too conciencious).

he was a former royal navy man.........and spent so long in the merchant service.....he was the kind of guy we will always need.

best regards to all cunardsteam sparkies..........

allan

p.s.......i remember him telling me.....when he was discharged from the r.n. he took up painting and decorating. it was not too long before he fell off his ladder, and decided to go to m.n. wireless college instead.....his love of ladders having diminished somewhat.
so....had it not been for an accident, we may never have known him.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ken

I liked Ken Fawcett a great deal. Whilst on the refit team coasting a lot of ships Ken would often come down for a chat and a few!!!! - beers - Gentleman - is he still alive?

·
Registered
49 Posts
More GWZM

Hello. Just found this thread. I was with RES 1975-1987.

Anybody know if the office staff at Liverpool (Bill Curry/Angus MacDonald/Ken Fawcett/Thelma etc) are still with us ?

Also anybody know if 'Ginger' Brown - capt with Port Line - is still alive ?

How about Les Flockhart (Purser) ? Sailed with him on Lustrous/Cunard Cavalier - what trips !

There are many other names which will come back to me eventually - Capt 'Tombstone' Twomey etc.

Regards
Ken

41 - 50 of 50 Posts