Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if there is anyone around who served with Smith's of Cardiff between 1948 and 1953 ???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reardon Smith..

I sailed on the Fresno City from 2nd January 1951 to 17th November 1951... Skipper was D Lloyd..

Reg Kear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi jack
i was on cornish city 1956-1958.mainly coal or soya from australia to japan.back and fore like a yo yp.guess which end i liked best.
have fun
john martin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reardon Smith

Jacktar1 said:
Wonder if there is anyone around who served with Smith's of Cardiff between 1948 and 1953 ???
I was on the INDIAN CITY in July 1952.

Hull- New York-Cardiff -Muscat-Bahrein-Basrah-Takamatsu (Japan) - Vancouver-Tacoma - Bombay - Lobito - Avonmouth.
Have photo if needed. New member so I have not had time to post ships yet.
Regards
Jim Stevens

·
Registered
23 Posts
picture ?

Hi

Anyone who have a picture of the vessel Fresno City ?
(my wifes brother David, who lived in Sunderland, sailed on that ship)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fresno City

Hi Kag
I think Sir William Reardon Smith had three ships named FRESNO CITY One was a war loss in 1943. the next was in their ownership from 1946-1964
I sailed on this ship in 1963.The last one to bear that name was a Cardiff Class bulker owned 1970 -early '80s
Have a Merry Festive season Regards Lamptrimmer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Indian City

My father (same name as I but not Sandy) sailed as a engineer on the Indian City circa 1925 - 1930 The ship went through a typhoon in the Indian Ocean and was considerably damaged. This vessel is unlikly to be the same one is t??

Regards
Sandy

Jim Stevens said:
I was on the INDIAN CITY in July 1952.

Hull- New York-Cardiff -Muscat-Bahrein-Basrah-Takamatsu (Japan) - Vancouver-Tacoma - Bombay - Lobito - Avonmouth.
Have photo if needed. New member so I have not had time to post ships yet.
Regards
Jim Stevens

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,Kag. There is a picture of the Fresno City of1945,ex.Empire Singapore. in"Travels of the Tramps"vol2.by Norman L. Middlemiss.Sorry Lamptrimmer but Smiths had 4 of that name.The first was sunk in 1940 by the Admiral Scheer. Pierhead jumper.

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

Jacktar1 said:
madras city jan.54 west africa tour joined her in leith.capt.cox.:i want one plate, per man ,per day, chipped.he's still waiting.came up to charlie browns and blue post's looking for us,we were in prospect down at wapping

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
kag said:
Hi

Anyone who have a picture of the vessel Fresno City ?
(my wifes brother David, who lived in Sunderland, sailed on that ship)
Ahoy kag,
Is this the Fresno UR looking for?[1970]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Houston City. 7278 tons built 1942 by Wm Doxford & Sons Sunderland.
428.8 x 56.5 x 35.5. 3 Cyl diesel by Doxfords. DF ESD. Code flags GIFY. registered Bideford UK British flag. Owned by Reardon Smith Line.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi. I joined the M V Great City in Hull on the 21-3-60 paid off 23-9-60
in Sunderland.Voyage Australia, New Zealand etc.
Regards Artie

·
Registered
252 Posts
Couldn't agree more, are there any more from Smiths out there.
When were you there Janner? I am sure you were a Junior Engineer on one ship I was on but I can't remember which one, they were good days now sadly gone.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Reardon Smith Cardiff

I sailed as AB. on the 'Atlantic City' for nearly 12 months 1957/8. She was probably one of the happiest ships that I had the good fortune to sail on in more than 20 years at sea. I was sent from Cardiff to join the ship in Dublin, most the deck crew were from Dublin, they were a good crowd, very few changes while I was there, even today I can still remember most of their names.
Captain Danny Lloyd was the master for the first couple of voyages, a very happy and sociable man, who was replaced by Captain Passmore who, although he was a fair man, kept himself to himself. The Mate was George Ellerby, a better mate I have yet to work with, a real character.
The Ch. Eng. was a red bearded Australian and the 2nd. was a geordie whose name I think was Jacky Chatten, another character.
The ship was built by Doxfords in 1941 a basic but trim little vessel which still holds happy memories for me.
Cheers Bruce

·
Registered
252 Posts
You were there a wee bit before me, I served my time with them in 69 and spent the early seventies with them. My first captain was George Ellerby ( See my photo of "Sara Lupe" ex Cardiff City) and I sailed with Jacky Chatten (Extra 2nd engineer)on the Indian City for a month or two. Jack was married to a Japanese lady so the "Indian" suited him as she was carrying cars out of Japan to the States and coal back to Japan for what seemed an eternity (especially if you were on her). Jack was also quite badly burnt in a fire on one of the ships ( May have been the later Atlantic City to yours ) and was more or less given a job for life, certainly was a character.
I never met Capts Lloyd and Passmore but certainly remember the names.

1 - 20 of 346 Posts