Ships Nostalgia banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
After 40 years

I was a Deck Cadet at Reardon-Smith Nautical College in 1973 and graduated as 2nd officer ... Went to Glasgow for my 1st Mate and Masters.
I left sea after 10 years or so and joined world of computer science. Always miss my days at sea.
I went back to Cardiff last summer after 40 years and it was very sad to see the good old Reardon-Smith building was gone.
I could imagine Commander Ball and his border collie .... Miss those days ...

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Just been having a rummage and found this.
My, how prices have gone up!!!!
(From Aug 1956)
Thank you for this. I enjoyed reading the Outfit List, it was worse than the bl00dy Worcester. I mean 'Rolled Gold Cufflinks' .....double ended bow tie..!?
As a thirteen year old I recall struggling mightily with stiff collars !

I have a vague association with Cardiff having done 1st Mates there in 1969.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Studied at RSNC 1966 to 1967. Have a few images that I will post up some time. Left to join J &J Denholm of Glasgow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I was a cadet at Reardon Smiths in 1957 and somewhere if I can find it have a photograph album showing the college, cadets and activities. Was SLC boats for a term and spent time on Margarita (ex Nocturne) I remember Capt Rose and Captain Sleeman, Also Fred Ball and Snowy Whiteman as our instructors

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Hi I was a cadet at Reardon Smiths in 1957 and somewhere if I can find it have a photograph album showing the college, cadets and activities. Was SLC boats for a term and spent time on Margarita (ex Nocturne) I remember Capt Rose and Captain Sleeman, Also Fred Ball and Snowy Whiteman as our instructors
In that case I'll look out mine and post over the weekend. I was there then as well. Left in '58.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi Lightkeeper

I was also there in 57 my time was up in July. With of course all the lecturers you remember. I was also one of the three cadets that brought Nocturne round from Dartmouth on the final leg of her delivery voyage to Cardiff over Easter in 57. For the rest of my time at RNSC I had charge of her engine room.

Michael Meredith

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Masirah, Thanks for that info. Just trawled through the thread looking at all the posts and photographs. I have remembered more names and noticed Peter Anderton from Brum. He, Dickie Burroughs and I (Peter Williams) were in the same Brum Sea Cadet Unit TS Sherbourne. Some names to add to your photograph.
Back Row LtoR: John Frost, Mike Meredith, Jarrold CC,Pete Radford, ?, David Ball, Peter Willams, Stamantou. Front Row L to R need to work on it but holding cup was Gary Harnett.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I'llhave to search for those old photographs. I was there when Jarrold was CC. Recall the names Frost and Stamatou. There was another Greek there at that time also. Anderton went through with me.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I believe the crew of Margarita were Meredith, Harnett & Burroughs together with Messrs Ball & Wightman.
Below is a pic taken on a visit by Princess Margaret when we all were lined up and inspected.This one shows cadets Coley,Perrot & Elbro (L to R ). A second one is a group which must have been 1957 as I am in it.
Another is one of Margarita. I'll post this and attach later as I have to resize the files. Apologies.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 · (Edited)
Apologies again guys - really not up to speed on this attachment bit.

In the group picture: Rear row L>R:- Hayman,Watkins,Elbro,Coley,Perrot,Allen(?), Palmer,Anderton,Reardon-Smith,Burns.
Front row L>R:- Fronks & Seymour.
The Work Crew:- Hayman,Burns,Elbro,Perrot & Reardon-Smith.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Duquesa, I have just seen your pictures of 7th November especially the one with the group of 12 "Innocents"!!

I seem to remember that in, possibly, my first post that I mentioned that I was US at 'things practical'. On one voyage I made such a 'Castor & Pollox' of something that the Bosun uttered these immortal words "Son, you are as useful as a man with no hands". I have used that comment to get out of 'working parties' ever since.

I have had a rough year with stays in hospitals for varied reasons. These stays had the effect of my having to cancel a 2nd Tandem Skydive planned for June. I did my 1st one in May 2013 and it was absolutely wonderful.

I will have to plan for the next one in 2017. I also went to Cardiff to see the college and was disappointed to see that it was not there any longer. That's, so called, progress I suppose. I still remember my time at RSNC and my time with Ben Line with great affection, at least that's what I like to kid myself!!!!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Busy few days just now Peter but will send you a PM shortly. Good to hear from you. I wonder where the other reprobates in that group are??

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Dad was at Reardon in 1958 - Clive Graham.
Does anyone remember him?
I would also love to know if there are any other websites dedicated to finding others who were there at the same time?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
My Dad was at Reardon in 1958 - Clive Graham.
Does anyone remember him?
I would also love to know if there are any other websites dedicated to finding others who were there at the same time?
Many thanks!
Yes, he was there in '58 but I only recall the name not the face. I'm not sure but I believe he may have started at the beginning of my last term.
This site is the only one that has ever mentioned the college. Brummie Pete (above) may recall. The group photograph would have been taken in '57.

·
Registered
3 Posts
List of some of the cadets at the college in 1957 and where they were from CC indicates Cadet Captain.

P.Williams Birmingham (Lightkeeper)
Z Shakir Iraq
B.Jaggo Iraq
S.Youisif Iraq
K Al Sheraidh Iraq
M.Wilson Pembroke
R.Jones ?
R.Burroughes Birmingham
B Abbas Iraq
S.Paulus Iraq
P.Anderton Birmingham
E.Allen ?
W.Burns Northern Ireland
M.Coley Wolverhampton
M.Elbro Wolverhampton
M Eggleton ?????
R.Flack ????
P.Hayman ?????
L.Fronks ??????
P.Reardon Smith Barry
J Perrot ?????
R.Palmer ????
D Seymour ?????
R.Gaunt Nottingham
L. Watkins ?????
A. Saliba Iraq CC
P.Jeffrey Cardiff ?
P.Simmons Wolverhampton?
D.Ball Abergavenny
P.Gummerson Manchester
? Irvine ?????
M.Stamatiou Cyprus
? Al Badir Iraq
A.Jardi Iraq CC
W.Burroughes ??????
G.Harnett Cardiff
M.Meredith Penarth
?.Lawrence Newport Pembs
? Jarrold ????? CC

I have a couple of photographs which I will scan and put on this thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK - I think I have managed to attach 2 photos of him.
Lets see if it works!
How long was the training at Reardon?

Yes, he was there in '58 but I only recall the name not the face. I'm not sure but I believe he may have started at the beginning of my last term.
This site is the only one that has ever mentioned the college. Brummie Pete (above) may recall. The group photograph would have been taken in '57.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Good comprehensive list there which confirms my memory. Your father was there in '58 certainly in the summer term if not Easter. Seeing the photographs I now recall the face. The course was a year - three terms although some of the Iraqis had done a little longer but they were the exception. I would have been CC in your Dad's first term.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Duquesa,
Thanks for the reply - forgive me - what is a CC?
Can you also tell me your name so that I can ask him if he remembers you?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
CC means Cadet Captain. There was a new one each term as the old "batch" left and went to sea. I've sent you a private message.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts