Ships Nostalgia banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
RSNC Prospectus

Rummaging around in the loft I found a copy of the prospectus.
I've posted pics of the pages in the gallery, if interested, take a look.

·
Registered
236 Posts
A mate of mine [sadly no longer with us] started at the college in 1950
but due to family cir***stances had to leave and get a job.

At one time the Reardon Smiths [Sir William] lived just round the corner from us in Barry, and I had an aunt and uncle who moved in the Reardon Smith's social circle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was at the college in 1970. Cmd Kenworthy-Neil was in charge.
The training vessel was the Margarita.
I have tried to attach an image of the mess. I am on the right. I cant remember the names of the others.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
I was at the college in 1970. Cmd Kenworthy-Neil was in charge.
The training vessel was the Margarita.
I have tried to attach an image of the mess. I am on the right. I cant remember the names of the others.
Here she is. 1957. I'll try again. Tech issue.
Having trouble with resizing. Will try later.
I'll tell ou something - in the 1950's we would not have been allowed that hair!!! The principal would have had apoplexy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Duquesa,
They were at sea with those hair do’s as well. Just remembered that the lad next to me was called Rob.
If you go to advanced settings when posting the image resizes automatically.
Larry

·
Registered
665 Posts
Ted Sleeman that's a man I remember. He christened me 'Rancid Bucket' ,a play on my surname at the time ... Sowerbutts, and used it all the time I was there.!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Hi Duquesa,
They were at sea with those hair do’s as well. Just remembered that the lad next to me was called Rob.
If you go to advanced settings when posting the image resizes automatically.
Larry
Sorry, I've tried every which way but I cannot get the pic to reduce in size. Don't know why because I usually have little problem with this. Will have to wait until my son feels he can again come into the house - currently we are a no go area.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi
According to an article in the Merthyr Express newspaper dated 1937, “Thomas (Tom) Smith had completed a three-year course at Smith’s Nautical School. He was educated at Fochriw Council School from where he obtained a scholarship to the Nautical College. During his studies at Cardiff, he had the distinction of being top of his form for each term each year and finally became the top boy for the three years. This was the first occasion on which a scholar at the college has obtained this distinction. In his final certificate, he obtained first position in every subject, including six distinctions, and he was awarded the Master Mariner’s Silver Medal for efficiency." A second snippet from the same newspaper in 1941 says "he had gained his second officer's certificate and has spent three years as an apprentice and fourth officer in ships of the Elder Dempster Lines.”
I would welcome any help building some background on his career especially the time spent at the Cardiff school.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I was at RSNC from '74 to '78. I went to sea with Athel Line, which morphed into Anco Tankers, then Panocean-Anco.

I live outside San Francisco now, working as a surveyor.

Richard Alty
Hi Richard,
I have just come across the site and seen your message. I was there at the same time as you along with several others I remember the names of.
Dai James Silver Line
Andrew (Abe)Lincoln (Can't recall)
Dafydd Evans C.P (Sadly killed in motor cycle accident in 78 or 79)
Neil Mcpherson Mobil
Mark Ricketts P&O
Chris Galaphant ( also I believe Athel Line. Surname spelling may be a bit off!)
Tony Clapham.
Some great times had by all!
Regards
Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
The original Margarita was no minesweeper but a very excellent sailing vessel of which we were all extremely proud. The minesweeper came later. Possibly the ex. St.David and no doubt under the command of the redoubtable Fred Ball.
I spent many happy nights on watch duty in both Barry & Penarth docks on the old girl. I have some excellent pics of her if anyone is interested.
Hi Just scanning the web for photos of Margarita which you say you have is there any chance i could have a few please. [email protected]

121 - 136 of 136 Posts