Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone remember the Regent Tankers? I believe there were two. The Regent Royal was one. They were talked about quite a bit when I was a lad, though I don't recall ever coming across them.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
sailed on regent lion j.o.s.1.1.1954 G.R,T 8217 n.t.4766 Ibelieve she was chartered from another company did 2 trips Trinidad Cardif .

·
Registered
610 Posts
Regent Eagle Built 1959 12000GT Motorship
Regent Hawk 1945 8169GT Steam recip. engine
Regent Royal 1954 10024GT 1954 Motorship

also seem to remember a Regent Caribu, docked at wallsend Slipway, early
60s undergoing repair after a Doxford top piston exited the engine and hit changing room deck above.
tim
ps also a Regent Leopard 1949 8439GRT
Regent Springbok 1951 12177GRT
Regent Panther 1937 9556 GRT Motorship
Most of the ships owned by Bowrings

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
C T Bowring & Co; Ltd.
Regent Caribou 1951, 12073 tons
Regent Leopard 1949 8439 tons
Regent Jaguar 1941 8134 tons
Regent Lion 1945 8217 tons
Regent Panther 1937 9558 tons
Regent Springbok 1951 12117 tons
Regent Tiger 1946 9960 tons

also Cape Breton, Benidick.

Lobito Oilfields Ltd

El Aleto
El Gailo
El Mirio

The fleet as of 1952/3

·
Registered
196 Posts
Regent Eagle Built 1959 12000GT Motorship
Regent Hawk 1945 8169GT Steam recip. engine
Regent Royal 1954 10024GT 1954 Motorship

also seem to remember a Regent Caribu, docked at wallsend Slipway, early
60s undergoing repair after a Doxford top piston exited the engine and hit changing room deck above.
tim
ps also a Regent Leopard 1949 8439GRT
Regent Springbok 1951 12177GRT

I was in a Convoy ON153 Dec 1942 when the Regent Lion was damaged by torpedo
Ivor lloyd

·
Registered
17 Posts
My first trip was on Regent Caribou. Sailed from Newcastle? Nov. 1959. Also sailed on the Regent Eagle for two trips. regards Keith

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Hello Ivor -
Regent Lion was severely damaged by a torpedo again later.
She was hit by U 300 on 17th Feb 1945 in the Medi..towed to Tangier but abandoned as a total loss.
C.T.Bowring had some ships registered with Lobitos Oilfields and Trinidad Leaseholds..
Other ships not mentioned here were
La Carriere -Regent Falcon -Capulet -Cordelia -El Ciervo -El Oso -El Grillo -El Gallo -El Lobo -Regent Liverpool -Regent Pembroke -Regent Westminster.
Regards
Stan

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Cant remember the dates as I have lost my discharge book but sailed on the Regent Falcon as 4E for a while. Doxford engine, steam auxiliaries steam turbine cargo pumps. I enjoyed my time there as she had a good engine room crew. If I remember correctly everything used to shut down around five in the evening for a mass viewing of the Magic Roundabout with the center seat reserved for the captain.
I think she was about 18.000 tons and we sailed all over Europe with quite a few visits to Wales.

Don

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to you all.
I hope you keep this thread open. :eek:
I might well have learned of the Regent Royal before I went to sea in 1964, but I can't think why I should. Unless......she was shown in an "Eye Spy" book, or perhaps as a cutaway drawing in the 'Eagle' comic, something like that. My first three years at sea were on passenger boats, and after that I joined BP, but I can't recall in depth conversations about the Regent Royal. Not enough for me to remember the name after all these years anyway.
Cheers!
Dickyboy

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Regent Petroleum Tankships

I sailed on the 'Regent Pembroke' for 17 months in 1965/66. There were rather more 'Regent' tankers than you might think. They were eventually subsumed into the Texaco fleet. For photos etc., see http://www.tota.co.uk/index.php?page=6

·
Registered
135 Posts
i joined the regent caribouat smiths docks north shields 11th may1960 she had just been fitted with heating coils did 2 trips to trinedad humber as pumpman my last tanker. albert.s.i

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Ivor Lloyd
Looked up your details - you musy have been very young indeed to have been inthat convoy in 1942.
Seems Stan Mayes, you and me are among the oldest buggers around !!
Where did you train ?
Sid

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sidsal

Hello
Yes ! I had just turned 16 ..Was on the MV City of Lille at the time.
I trained at the S.Wales Wireless Training College.Caswell Bay. Swansea.

Best regards
Ivor

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Good evening Sid and Ivor,
Hoping you are both keeping well...
Must always inquire of the health of us old buggers!!
Another SN Vet is Bernard McIver - Bernard was a Radio Officer in the Dutch Shell tanker Clavella and I was in Cape Howe and both our ships were in convoy HX 235 April/May 1943.
Bernard lives in Perth Aussie and he paid me a surprise visit when he was in England on holiday last year.
Of all the oceans - what a small world?
Regards to you both
Stan

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Regent Eagle became Texaco Gloucester, Regent Falcon became Texaco Durham, I sailed on both from 1973-76, as 5th, 4th & 3rd eng.
Excellent engine room crew then too, same core group stayed with them for a long time.
Eagle was built on the Clyde at Fairfield and had a David Rowan Doxford 750 LB, Falcon was built at Wallsend Slipway and was engined by them. Falcon was engineers favourite as the bottom piston was oil cooled, the Eagles water cooled.
The Eagle featured in the excellent do***entary about Clyde shipbuilding called Seaward the Great ships, by John Grierson.
My wife sailed with me on these ships and had a wonderful time, many happy memories.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Thanks for info Ivor and thanks Stan for message too. My word - 16 years of age at sea in 1942 !!
What a great site is this SN - and so competently run !
Cheers
Sid

1 - 20 of 74 Posts