Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
I sailed in the Regent Springbok the trip after she carried the Princess Royal to Trinidad , she was a well found ship and a good feeder with a good Captain, she had a swimming pool abaft the bridge and we deck hands had the use of it from noon to 4pm, I had no complaints apart from her doing a 16 hr turn around in Liverpool, not my style I'm afraid

·
Registered
246 Posts
Regent was my first and last tanker company covering a large number of years at sea, eventually under the Texaco emblem. The Regent Falcon was my first as 3rd Mate in 1963 and the Regent Eagle next as 2nd Mate in 1964. I was Mate and Master of both as well and also sailed on the Regent Liverpool and Regent Pembroke. The old Regent Royal was a special ship as she had been built with the Spithead review in mind and was in that in 1952(?). The Princess Royal was the ships sponsor if I remember correctly. Good Company, good crews and for the most part, good runs, UK coast, Trinidad, Caribbean and US East coast. I have very fond memories of them all.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Esso's 36000 dwt. fleet were all built with swimming pools, some of this class pre-date the Falcon by at least a couple of years. It is quite likely there were other tankers built with swimming pools before the Esso 36000 dwt. class.
Bruce.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
If I remember correctly the Regent Falcons swimming pool had underwater lighting. Obviously built for the Caribbean runs, never seemed to need it running from UK to Scandinavia and Europe in the winter.
I bet it would have been wonderful on an evening in warmer climes.
Don

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it was in 1959 when I was doing my R/O course at the Watt School in Greenock, the newly built "Regent Eagle" berthed close by. Some of us were allowed on board to have a look round and I can still remember the radio room and even the ship's call-sign GCNA, so I was well impressed. Many years later I sailed with a Geordie Ch/Eng Jim Mann who I discovered had been Chief on her at one stage.

Jack Plenderleith

·
Registered
246 Posts
Jim Mann - lovely bloke. I was 5th engineer on the Caltex Calcutta (LB Doxford) when he was Junior Second. She went to scrap in Japan and we both joined a geared turbine ship - Caltex Bahrein I think - in Singapore. Jim hadn't been on a steamer but didn't worry too much as he had two excellent Cadets to run the 4 - 8 watch for him. Unfortunately ten days later they were unexpectedly sent home from the the Gulf and Jim hadn't actually got round to learning much! We had many 'teach ins' when I came down for the 8 - 12!

He became a king pin in the railway preservation world on the Tyne but sadly died relatively young a few years ago.

I have many happy memories of Jim - always cheerful. He must have been a great Chief Engineer to work for.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jim Mann - lovely bloke. I was 5th engineer on the Caltex Calcutta (LB Doxford) when he was Junior Second. She went to scrap in Japan and we both joined a geared turbine ship - Caltex Bahrein I think - in Singapore. Jim hadn't been on a steamer but didn't worry too much as he had two excellent Cadets to run the 4 - 8 watch for him. Unfortunately ten days later they were unexpectedly sent home from the the Gulf and Jim hadn't actually got round to learning much! We had many 'teach ins' when I came down for the 8 - 12!

He became a king pin in the railway preservation world on the Tyne but sadly died relatively young a few years ago.

I have many happy memories of Jim - always cheerful. He must have been a great Chief Engineer to work for.
Really sad to read that Jim Mann has crossed the bar. When he was made redundant under British flag he joined AMPTC (Arab Maritime Petroleum Transport Co) of Kuwait and he then reckoned he should have made the move years before. I sailed with him in the 80's on an AMPTC ship, the Algerian flag S/T Wahran 392,000 dwt so he had obviously come to grips with steam turbines by then! We kept in touch for years but eventually lost contact through us both moving around. No email back then...RIP Jim..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Me too

I sailed in the Regent Springbok the trip after she carried the Princess Royal to Trinidad , she was a well found ship and a good feeder with a good Captain, she had a swimming pool abaft the bridge and we deck hands had the use of it from noon to 4pm, I had no complaints apart from her doing a 16 hr turn around in Liverpool, not my style I'm afraid
I was on that trip as well, also 4 trips before including the one when we carried the Princess Royal. I think we went into port of Spain that time just to let her off. Captain Fury was our Boss, but I can only remember the names of 2 other crew members. they were Creepy Crawley (Galley Boy) and Ted Betts (Catering Boy). I was just a Deck Boy of 16 years old and was PEGGY. That was all in 1952

·
Registered
6 Posts
Regent Springbok

Regent Springbok had a swimming pool? I was told the Falcon was the first tanker with a swimming pool.

oops, built 62, Falcon. 59
You are correct, Regent Springbok had a small swimming pool on the main deck beside the catwalk, wasnt very big and we didn't get much time to use it anyway. That was in 1952 when I was on board

·
Registered
6 Posts
Regent Springbok

You would have been on the Sprinbok the for at least one trip with me. I di 6 trips on her all to San Fernando Trinidad. I was on that trip with the princess Royal. Captain was Captain Fury OBE. I was only 16 YO and was Deckboy and Peggy for the Deck crew.
I remember one trip when we hit very bad weather somewhere near the Bay of Biscay, the concrete etc had broken out from around the anchor chain and all the chain and paint locker were flooded.Paint everywhere and that huge LLOyds Wire Rope had come off its reel and was thrahing around everywhere. I can't remember any of the other crews names but I do remember my cabin was the first one on the starboard side just behind the mess.
All that was a long time ago in 1952.

Please reply if you can remember any of the crew, One was a Pole named paderwoski
Cheers
Frank

·
Registered
6 Posts
Springbok

You are correct, Regent Springbok had a small swimming pool on the main deck beside the catwalk, wasnt very big and we didn't get much time to use it anyway. That was in 1952 when I was on board
I was on the Springbok in 1952, did 6 trips on her. She was my first ship as a young lad of 16. I was a Deckboy and had the job of Deck crew Peggy.
Did have a few swims in that little Pool as because I was Peggy used to have a 1 hour break in the afternoon same as the catering staff.
Would love to hear some of the other crews names if you can remember any.
Cheers
Frank

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If I remember correctly the Regent Falcons swimming pool had underwater lighting. Obviously built for the Caribbean runs, never seemed to need it running from UK to Scandinavia and Europe in the winter.
I bet it would have been wonderful on an evening in warmer climes.
Don

It sure was Don, we used on the 'punishment' trip down to Port Harcourt.

We took a cargo to Freetown, went down to PH to load, could get fresh water due to the jetty having been knocked about a bit and all the pipework bust. We called in at Monrovia for water and the mate decided to use the pool for extra storage. At only 2" deep it was like pea soup. We headed for Bridgeport, Conneticut and a few days out the cook told me all he had left after the port authorities had 'borrowed' our stores, was flour and cheese, so it was cheese rolls all the way over.
The stores loaded in NY were amazing, best food ever in the MN.
Then it was back to Pembroke.
It was August, so on the way across the new 2/E got me on deck doing the winches and the flea bitten deck steam line. More Thistlebond than metal.
My wife thought the world of Jimmy Mann, a real gentleman.
Was he not related to Alex (Hairy) Andersens wife Isobel?

Very very happy times.

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks Johno, That's the name of the second Regent tanker that I remembered the name of.
It sounds like Regent was a pretty good company to to work for, at least before Big Brother took over. Not bad runs either. (Thumb)

·
Registered
4 Posts
regent tankers

Thanks Johno, That's the name of the second Regent tanker that I remembered the name of.
It sounds like Regent was a pretty good company to to work for, at least before Big Brother took over. Not bad runs either. (Thumb)
hi dickyboy if you look up tota.com you will get a list of all the tankers you are looking for plus photo and info i was sent it last year i forgot who gave me the details but i hope its a help to you regards johno(Thumb)

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
All ready done that Johno:eek:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Regent Springbok had a swimming pool? I was told the Falcon was the first tanker with a swimming pool.

oops, built 62, Falcon. 59
yes and she had a first class cabin, she took the Princess Royal to Trinidad the voyage before I joined her

21 - 40 of 74 Posts