Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was on the Regent Panther in late 1946- as a 3 year old passenger, with my mother and younger brother. We were on our way to Venezuela to join my father who was drilling for oil there for Shell. It took us as far as New Orleans, where we had to change to the freighter Tiberius. I have only one memory of trip and that was before we boarded. Going out in a launch we passed the Queen ELizabeth and I can still recall looking up a black steel wall that seemed to reach the heavens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
regent boats

who can forget the regent tankers,i jioned the Regent Leopard as a cabin boy and when i saw that they had a spud machine ,i though great so i went in the galley,machine will be fixed before we sail,WRONG, it was never fixed and we carried twelve passengers,to Trinidad,loaded crude then back to shellhaven,had good food and a tripboth ways Captain name P.O.Robertson tigercub33

·
Registered
3 Posts
Regent Caribou

Did anyone work on Regent Caribou around 1956. My uncle Roy Baines was a Donkeyman Greaser on this tanker and was awarded the George Medal for his part in saving an apprentice who had become overcome by gas when cleaning out the tanks. It would be great if anyone has any information about this.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Hi Bob,
My brother Les was Bosun of Regent Caribou at time of this tragic incident.
He lives in Stanford le Hope but is now having a few days with his son in Bromsgrove....I will let him know of your inquiry.
Regards,
Stan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks

Hi Bob,
My brother Les was Bosun of Regent Caribou at time of this tragic incident.
He lives in Stanford le Hope but is now having a few days with his son in Bromsgrove....I will let him know of your inquiry.
Regards,
Stan
Hi Stan

Many thanks for the quick response and follow up. I have attached an excerpt from the London Gazette which reported this incident.

Best Regards, Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
It must have been 1951 or 52 when my parents made Pointe-à-Pierre to the UK on the Springbok - I will see if I can find and post one of their photos - preferably not one of me age 3 in a duffle coat and reins!

·
Registered
89 Posts
During my time with Shell,59\67 the tlk was all about how good Regent Tankers were,had taken over No.1 spot from Esso,don't know if that is true.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I sailed on the Regent Hawk in the early fifties as 4/engineer. She was Steam Triple Expansion with oil fired boilers. I can remember expanding boiler tubes in Panama and a couple of engineers with back problems following this operation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I remember as a very young boy travelling on Regent Royal between UK and Trinidad where my father had just joined Texaco and he subsequently became the Marine Superintendent. If anyone has pictures of the ship I would like to know

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was R/O on the Regent Falcon/GDRU joined her in Immingham in Dec 64 , sailed to Trinidad with all the passenger cabins full with Texaco workers and their families, one passenger was in the pilots cabin behind the radio room.

Did several trips around the Caribbean and Central America and one across to Nigeria before returning to the UK to Dingle in July 65.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone work on Regent Caribou around 1956. My uncle Roy Baines was a Donkeyman Greaser on this tanker and was awarded the George Medal for his part in saving an apprentice who had become overcome by gas when cleaning out the tanks. It would be great if anyone has any information about this.
Hi bobbruce. I am Roy Baines' daughter and was quite excited to stumble across your posting while searching for info on my Dad's story. Dad sadly passed in 1993. He was a wonderful man and missed every single day. He fell on hard times after he retired and sold his George Medal. We knew nothing of this until after he passed. Dad was a proud man and it would have broken him to ask for help from his children. I would love to know where to look for his medal, I have no clue. On a lighter note ~ We must be cousins?! Who are your parents? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My first trip was on Regent Caribou. Sailed from Newcastle? Nov. 1959. Also sailed on the Regent Eagle for two trips. regards Keith
Don Coates;57800983. I joined the Regent Caribou in the Tyne on12th October 1951 -cannot remember whether I did one or two trips - she was a lovely ship . regards Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am now retired and have found a great hobby, building large display models of ships I remember from my time at sea, just finished regent leopard, if you are interested in seeing it,e-mail me or contact back through here, my e-mail is [email protected].
BILL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many thanks Alastair,
I have almost given up,, The so -called maritime museum (current version) had never heard of her !
thanks again,
Bill.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts