Ships Nostalgia banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Regent Royal

Anyone remember the Regent Tankers? I believe there were two. The Regent Royal was one. They were talked about quite a bit when I was a lad, though I don't recall ever coming across them.
A little bit late on this thread, just trawling through on these cold and dark mornings. Oops! it's May 31st.

I was R/O on the 'Royal' in 1968, January to April. I was sailing with dispensation, having completed 3 months sea time. The 'Royal' had not long before run aground or been beached, and as a consequence was on 'home trade'.

I remember the ornate Staterooms, with the saloon midships, galley aft. Watching the stewards bring the meals up along the flying bridge.

During this time we spent several trips from Pembroke Dock to Avonmouth, a cross channel ferry. (Bristol Channel)

On one occasion we left Liverpool bound Pembroke, when an SOS went up. An AER Lingus aircraft, in the sos, it was described as a "green and silver aircraft", reported missing and reported to be flying from Dublin in a direction of Strumble Head. Moments before we had sighted such an aircraft flying at very low altitude, and this was duly reported.

As a 'junior', and on the 'trips' we were doing I wasn't getting much comms experience. This was to change in the ensuing hours. We became the 'search' vessel. Newspapers were wanting to talk to the Captain, who graciously declined, 'no comment'.

The RN came to the scene at sometime and we were released to continue.

I joined a Maggie Booth ship in New York maybe two months later (June) when the aircraft was found just off Dublin.

The aircraft we had seen was a cargo Aer Lingus, following the same flight path, looking for his mate. Presumably the air traffic controllers knew about this, but obviously the guys on the water didn't.

Quite a steep learning curve, for me, anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------
no use getting older if you don't get wiser. That trip I did both.

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
A little bit late on this thread, just trawling through on these cold and dark mornings. Oops! it's May 31st.

I was R/O on the 'Royal' in 1968, January to April. I was sailing with dispensation, having completed 3 months sea time. The 'Royal' had not long before run aground or been beached, and as a consequence was on 'home trade'.

I remember the ornate Staterooms, with the saloon midships, galley aft. Watching the stewards bring the meals up along the flying bridge.

During this time we spent several trips from Pembroke Dock to Avonmouth, a cross channel ferry. (Bristol Channel)

On one occasion we left Liverpool bound Pembroke, when an SOS went up. An AER Lingus aircraft, in the sos, it was described as a "green and silver aircraft", reported missing and reported to be flying from Dublin in a direction of Strumble Head. Moments before we had sighted such an aircraft flying at very low altitude, and this was duly reported.

As a 'junior', and on the 'trips' we were doing I wasn't getting much comms experience. This was to change in the ensuing hours. We became the 'search' vessel. Newspapers were wanting to talk to the Captain, who graciously declined, 'no comment'.

The RN came to the scene at sometime and we were released to continue.

I joined a Maggie Booth ship in New York maybe two months later (June) when the aircraft was found just off Dublin.

The aircraft we had seen was a cargo Aer Lingus, following the same flight path, looking for his mate. Presumably the air traffic controllers knew about this, but obviously the guys on the water didn't.

Quite a steep learning curve, for me, anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------
no use getting older if you don't get wiser. That trip I did both.
Hi!
Thanks for your reply about the Regent Royal. A bit of a coincidence, but a mate of mine was on one of the RN ships involved in the search for that Aer Lingus flight. If I recall correctly it was the Manxman. He was a rating of some sort, and later became a sparky, based for a long time at the old NATO Commcen in Malta. Anyway, I remember him telling me that he, among others, had the ghastly job of fishing the bodies out of the water, something that upset him deeply.
He hated going to sea, and always did his best to get shore postings. He did his time in the Navy, became a teacher, but has now unfortunately crossed the bar.
Cheers!
Dick(Thumb)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here's a picture of yours truly in the pool on the Regent Eagle taken long ago. The pool on the Falcon was very similar. The pools were popular with the passengers travelling from Trinidad to UK for vacation from the Texaco Refinery there. Very popular with the crews too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
strange how memory plays tricks? As an e/cadet BP i spent my shore side 6 months in 1961-2 in Palmers Hebburn, and i seem to remember the funnel markings on the tankers Regent was one another was Caltex (among the many ships on the Tyne) and their T2'S.and later in the early 60's Regent and Caltx became Texaco, and their refinery in Milford Haven not far from the BP terminal at Angle Bay (For the refinery at Llandacy-Swansea).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings everyone, I was recently going through some of my late parents boxes and came across a fragment of a newspaper article about a person on the Regent Eagle who was trying to "blow it up" and had started a fire which "came within seconds of killing everyone. On October 21 (no year given) south of the Azores, an attempt was made to blow ..." Detectives were investigating.

There were 40 crew and passengers, two of them women. That is about all the article says. There is a little bit more to the article than I have written - but not much.

This has really sparked my interest and I would love to know the full story. I have only fragments of the original article and don't know where to look further.

Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Wismajorvik, thank you so much for that link. It seems to be just what I was looking for. I'm very grateful to you.

Regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
My father sailed on the Regent Royal and I have a copy of the Christmas Day menu for Sunday Dec 25 1955. Dad is sadly no longer with us but his discharge book shows he did several trips on her and at the time he had joined at Avonmouth and left her at Newcastle on Tyne just after Christmas. Dads name is Mervyn Reginal Hawley.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Greetings everyone, I was recently going through some of my late parents boxes and came across a fragment of a newspaper article about a person on the Regent Eagle who was trying to "blow it up" and had started a fire which "came within seconds of killing everyone. On October 21 (no year given) south of the Azores, an attempt was made to blow ..." Detectives were investigating.

There were 40 crew and passengers, two of them women. That is about all the article says. There is a little bit more to the article than I have written - but not much.

This has really sparked my interest and I would love to know the full story. I have only fragments of the original article and don't know where to look further.

Regards
I remember this incident, I was sailing on the sister ship Regent Falcon at the time. No 5 centre hatch coaming was located underneath the deck between the swimming pool and the midships accommodation, there was a large hatch in this deck which had to be opened during loading to vent the gases as we vented the tanks in those days through the ullage port, a small hatch in the tank lid. A disgruntled crew member opened the whole tank lid and ignited the tank which was full with gasoline at the time. The fact that the fire was beneath this deck helped in extinguishing the fire as it created a partial 'lid' over the tank hatch and the crew closed in on either side of the hatch with water curtains from the fire hoses and snuffed out the fire.
The whole crew were paid off in Avonmouth after the ship arrived as it could not be proved which of them had started the fire.
Another little anecdote, the Second Mate was Peter Stead, known as 'Steady' , mainly because he never moved very fast, was seen to pass the saloon door during dinner that day at a run and everyone immediately knew that something was amiss!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sailed in the Regent Springbok the trip after she carried the Princess Royal to Trinidad , she was a well found ship and a good feeder with a good Captain, she had a swimming pool abaft the bridge and we deck hands had the use of it from noon to 4pm, I had no complaints apart from her doing a 16 hr turn around in Liverpool, not my style I'm afraid
Hi, I just joined the forum as my Father was a merchant seaman, he is 86 and recently had a brain injury which has erased most of his memory. I was trying to have a conversation with him yesterday and I always ask him about his merchant sailor days and he remembered his first voyage and it was on the Regent Panther and he sailed from Bowling but is a bit confused as to where his first port of call was. It was spring or summer of 1952 I think he set sail, he said Panama a few times then yesterday he said Guadalcanal but I think possibly his brain is becoming confused. Does anybody remember this tanker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Esso's 36000 dwt. fleet were all built with swimming pools, some of this class pre-date the Falcon by at least a couple of years. It is quite likely there were other tankers built with swimming pools before the Esso 36000 dwt. class.
Bruce.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I just joined the forum as my Father was a merchant seaman, he is 86 and recently had a brain injury which has erased most of his memory. I was trying to have a conversation with him yesterday and I always ask him about his merchant sailor days and he remembered his first voyage and it was on the Regent Panther and he sailed from Bowling but is a bit confused as to where his first port of call was. It was spring or summer of 1952 I think he set sail, he said Panama a few times then yesterday he said Guadalcanal but I think possibly his brain is becoming confused. Does anybody remember this tanker.
I also joined the Regent Springbok the trip after the Princess Royals trip (Jackie galley boy)

61 - 74 of 74 Posts