Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Great ship and a great run,Havana before Castro, was a great night ashore, we were there on Jan 1st when the revolutionaries came into havana, we were in the dos hermanos bar fortified with bacardi. The next trip however things had changed and Havana was taken off the itinary. Still there was always Valporaiso, Callao,panama and the spanish ports for compensation
I was on the Del Mar on her second voyage recall the Dos Hermanos bar Havana with affection not infection as one of my mates might do,used the bar many times on visits on other ships,I have posted before of my time on the Del Mar,my favourite place on her was the padded cell above the after mooring deck where a lady passenger and I spent many happy hours,her mum was a great lady also she was a friend of another a.b.from Wallasey but he didnt get to share the padded cell , the lucky bugger was sneaked down to her cabin,The crows nest was an open one great in the tropics but bloody freezing when docking before xmas.There was a raving Portugese poof on her I think he was one of the extra crew we picked uo in Santander,any body remember him?I think the skippers name was Rice and the chief engineers was Curry?

·
Super Moderator (L)
1,742 Posts
I was on this ship as an AB on the scrap run to Taiwan it was a slow voyage but a pleasnt one played football in the coral lounge the swimming pool was fulled and a few bar b cues were hld
See post 18 below .....

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Reina was a wonderful experience. She was like a public transport bus stopping constantly to take on or drop off passengers. And as an observant AB I discovered that once she arrived in the Carribean, and on to all of the ports down to Valparaiso and back again, more than a few of the Latin passengers were fare dodgers just like those on a bus. And getting off at the next stop.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
One job I had on the Reina was to assist the Deck AB. I can't remember his title, but he used to keep the outer decks up to scratch. Make up new quiots, organise deck games for the passengers, and generally interact with the passengers. He had a locker on one of the open decks, lifeboat I think. It was a good job, and one of the few where a deck crew member could interact with the passengers.
If I recall correctly the deck AB name was "Topsy" Turvey, an Aussie who had been a helicopter pilot in Nam, came to the UK and ended up on the ships.

·
Registered
156 Posts
On the scap run the raings had the top passenger cabins this made the voyage very pleasant for us the officers had to use there usual cabins because of the alarm systems I think I am right in saying when opperational the crew cabins aft where air-conditioned

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
On the scap run the raings had the top passenger cabins this made the voyage very pleasant for us the officers had to use there usual cabins because of the alarm systems I think I am right in saying when opperational the crew cabins aft here air-co No Kag the crews accomodation aft was not airconditioned, the deck crowds if I recall was on the port side aft.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
Correct, the Deck Crowds Accom' was port side aft, just ahead of the laundryman's accommodation, which was one big cabin in which they cooked, ate and slept, at least I think they cooked in there as well. Used to stink our accommodation out, I do remember that.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
PSNC passenger service was not limited to UK passengers. The Reina del Pacifico (in 1950) called at La Rochelle, out and homeward, carrying French, German , Swiss, etc. between Europe and WCSA ports. Brits were mainly bound for Bermuda, Bahamas and Kingston. Jamaicans used her, going back and forth to their jobs in the Canal Zone.
One of my fondest memories was standing lookout in the bows, and listening to Spanish monks serenading their hispanic kinfolk passengers with La Golondrina, somewhere between Cartagena and Kingston. Those guys could really harmonize.

·
Banned
1,035 Posts
I had this photo on a british book about Liverpool city from time ago. But I did not know anything about this ship. At first I thought perhaps she was a spanish liner because she has a very common spanish name: REINA DEL MAR (english: QUEEN OF THE SEA).

I always liked this picture. The book have many others, with portuary scenes from the 50's... with many ships. But no mention of their names, because the book speaks about the history of Liverpool, not about ships.

At Liverpool in 1956 (she was a beautiful new ship). Photographer Elsam, Mann and Cooper.

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Reina del Mar P.S.N.C.

An interesting pic of REINA DEL MAR when she was built by Harland & Wolff
ltd Belfast in 1956. She was built to mantein the service from U.K.France and
Spain to Bermuda , Bahamas etc. (M. Ships W.Built 1956).
I think that all photos can be put on the site, important is specified when they are not of our Personal Collection, like this the unfortunately that have not a great collections can partecipate to the site with researching and scanning the various ships pics.Are you agree with me?
This is an example.
Gp
The excellent photo shows her on sea trials ... note code flag "A" at yard arm; also has "H" above bridge. Cheers ! Keith.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I was lucky enough to have been taken on a cruise on her when I was eleven years old in 1967. An adopted aunty wanted me to have something to remember her by - this trip. And did it succeed, this is still one of the most vivid recollections of my childhood. Beautiful ship.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 'Reina del Mar' built and completed 1956 at Belfast for the PSNC Co. to serve the UK to west coast of South America passenger/cargo service and run
as sister ship to the older 'Reina del Pacifico'. I remember well when Reina del Mar was delivered,it was the most beautiful ship. However, what I can add as
information for anybody who is interested and I'm sure there are many,is that at the time of her delivery to PSNC the 'Belfast Telegraph' newspaper published a beautiful colour supplement of all aspects of the ship.From that supplement I have always had the memory of Reina del Mar in my mind. My wonder since is - does Belfast Telegraph still have that supplement in their archives and can a copy be published. Worth investigating for anybody who is so keen on all things relevent to the beautiful ship.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went on this ship for 4 holidays back in the 1960s and 70s, very laid back and the neptune events were always good.As a youngster the childrens area was run by a woman called Judy and The jungle book was the fav Kids film in the cinema.
The radio officer was a guy called Harry Chesters and my dad picked his stoke accent up and we were friends for years after, i used to go up to the radio room when he was on shift and look at the big valves glowing in there, we also went down into the engine room, what would elf and safety say about that now??
so sad she was scrapped early due to the oil crisis.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
I was the Deck Crewman's Boy on the Reina. He had a little store/workshop type place on (I think) the stbd boat deck. We used to scrub rails with sand & canvas, generally keep the open decks clean and tidy, make quoits and all that sort of thing. We also used to assist in kids deck games, frog racing etc.
If I recall correctly the blokes name was "Topsy" Turvey. His First Prize for the winning child was an 'Ot Water Otter. This really excited the kids, and spurred them on to win. The Ot Water Otter was in fact an old kettle, which must have been won by hundreds of kids over the years. :)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Phil,
I was 2nd radio officer on the Reina del Mar at that time. I really got on well with Harry, any idea what became of him? The children's hostess was Judy Nelson. A really grand ship.
The big valves were in the bottom of the public address system in the radio office with only a metal bar to guard them.
Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, sorry it's a very late reply, After Harry left he divorced his wife, and i remember he set up an antiques business in Burslem in Stoke, he used to keep in touch sometimes with my mother but i haven't heard from him since for many years now, if i remember his wife was called Olive and he had a daughter, Kim.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Thought some of you might like a photo of Reina del Mar in Union Castle colours. The pic was taken at Southampton (Empress Dock, if I remember correctly) in late 1960's. Her lavendar hull is looking a little tatty.
I remember one of the G & J Weir men who did her sea trials out of Harland & Wolff describe her as "The Reina del Mar that never got far".

Jim S
Not Empress Dock

Reina Del Mar alongside the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal at berths 38/39 Southampton Eastern Docks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I served on the Rena Firstly doing med cruises and then down to Cape Town I think the first cruise was Cape Town Durban Maritious Back to Cape Town a walk off by the crew was organised in said port just before ship was due to sail back to Cape Town All crew on the quay The passengers were cheering Dispute was solved and we sailed Next cruise was down to South America 10 days crossing 10 days on the coast (fantastic time ashore ) then 10 days back it took me those 10 days to recover She was a very happy ship Graham Hall MNM

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was a cadet on the Reina del Mar…1959, and I certainly remember sailing into Havana in January 1959, with Castro's Olive clad army spread out along the Morro Castle, watching us sailing into the inner harbour. Once alongside Captain Litherland ordered that all bars open to Castro's army…… one female officer sporting a 45 on her hip, think she was a Captain told the tale about being captured and tortured by Batista's men, when she was running a pro Castro radio station. We sailed that evening as we only stayed overnight on cruise trips. The Reina was a very happy ship and the only time we had any problems was when we left Valparaiso with no passengers to load copper at San Antonio….the amount of black eyes among the catering staff was unbelievable, got it all out of there system. I remember doing fire rounds and having to go to the depths of the accommodation going round with a phone jack and checking in a certain numbers with the bridge…surprising some of the happenings I saw. On the way back passing the bakery and been given fresh rolls and fancy cakes by the bakers, oh to be young again. Sunsets in port were always a big event with the Cadets, Quartermasters involved in lowering the flags to the minute whilst the Coldstream Guards "Evening Hymn" was played over the tannoy. Leaving Princes Landing Stage outward bound to the Ayres of "Early One Morning" "Hearts of Oak" and finally as she let go tugs and headed outwards "What shall we do with the drunken sailor".
I remember on one occasion going down the Engine Room to lower the Chernikeeff Log, dressed in No 10's…which involved getting into a cofferdam opening a valve and lowering it out. On the way back the engineers were waiting for me with water syringes, and by the time I reached half way up I was soaked and so mad I picked up a bucket of what I thought soogee water and hurled it at them only to find it was oily water. I believe they spent the rest of the watch cleaning up the mess. I never got soaked again and to my amazement never got told off.
Couple of years previous I had been on the "Kenuta" , discharging "Sea Fury" aeroplanes in large packing cases…the whole event was guarded by the army and air force, as a Belgium freighter carrying ammunition had been blown up in Havana a few weeks previous

41 - 60 of 93 Posts