Ships Nostalgia banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a feeling that the old Chusan did a trip or two for Max Wilson, I sailed with a 2nd cook from Belfast called Chunky Cardwell who had been on these cruises

·
Registered
149 Posts
Stowaways
I remember one trip on the Reina and I think we had just left Cartagena bound for La Guaira, incidentally a port were the crew members were not allowed, due to a previous incident on the visit of a Cunard Liner when the crew beat up the police and the town.
It was mid afternoon when a passenger called my attention to a knocking coming from a trunkway on the No 2 well deck….I went up to the Mates Office to get the keys and accompanied by a Master at Arms, we opened to trunkway to find this bloke hanging there calling for aqua, hauling him out all he could say was abaco, indicating that someone else was below. Climbing down into the lower hold with a torch by now about a dozen faces peering at me from above the bags of tin in the after end. They were all in a terrible state of dehydration as their water must have run out and they must have been there from Mejillones in Chile… they had built a little nest on the top of the bags of tin in the after end of the hatch..Anyway a good meal and plenty of drinks and they were all passed fit by the doctor.
Bill Campbell Chief Officer kindly put them in my care with the instructions that they were to work on deck helping the "Water Babies" crew who washed down the decks at night. All went well and they all turned to, but breakfast in the morning Mr Campbell was annoyed at their scruffy dress.. worn out jeans and shirts mended with cross stitching. As I was in charge of issuing all the crews uniforms, I was informed to issue them with new jeans, shirts and company sweaters..Next day they turned to still in their old clothes..oh no the new gear was only for best. When we arrived in Havana the Captain arranged for they to be flow back to Chile…..and the Chief Officer told me to collect the clothes before they left…I caught them just as they were leaving with their new clothes neatly tucked under their arms, with big hugs and adios's I had not the heart to ask for the clothes back..and told Campbell I had missed them.
Lamp trimmer told me the tale of another stowaway who had spent Christmas in Walton whilst the Reina was in dock……he told him he had a lovely time over Christmas ^Much Bueno Walton"
Thing not known by a lot of people but I found out doing my fire rounds…..and came across them out for exercises with their Wardens. Life Prisoners from Bermuda were sent to the UK to serve their sentences and were accommodated way down in Tourist Class

·
Registered
895 Posts
I was a cadet on the Reina del Mar…1959, and I certainly remember sailing into Havana in January 1959, with Castro's Olive clad army spread out along the Morro Castle, watching us sailing into the inner harbour. Once alongside Captain Litherland ordered that all bars open to Castro's army…… /QUOTE]

Captain Litherland, one of the world's finest gentlemen. Sailed with him down to New Zealand on 'Salinas', (on charter to SS&A)approaching Pitcairn, with ETA 1st January 1956, we were told to wait until Gothic had visited, she was also due on 1st January, Captain Litherland was having none of it, we increased revs and arrived at 0500, we sailed a few hours later after dropping off stores for the islanders, buying our hand carved flying fish etc. As we sailed we saw the Gothic on the horizon approaching P I , she would have been greeted by all the crew and island boats flying the PSNC house flags on their sterns.

Our visit made the NZ papers, still have a cutting, what the political outcome twixt PSNC and SS&A was we never discovered, but everyone onboard 'Salinas' was very happy, especially the old PSNC hands who only knew the WCSA, mind you they were disappointed to find out that NZ girls expected more than a bar of Yardleys Soap for their favours, and USDollars were about as much use as a chocolate teapot...……..happy days (K)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Captain Litherland

Nice to know somebody else remembers what a nice person Captain Litherland was.....about the only time we were allowed into the Passengers bar was when the Captain invited the cadets to Bingo or dance night when we danced to keep the old dears happy.
If we left Willemstad, Curacao at night he would have me up on the 14" Aldis illuminating his favourite pub, whilst the owners and customers stood outside waving, and our siren blew farewell.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
When I was on the Reina Del Mar the laundry men were English one of them was my future brother in law there were no Chinese on her then her other brother was a winger on her.In Valparaiso I had a dear john from their sister I thought that they had found out of my dalliance with a lady passenger and wrote home and told her but they hadn't,she being from a seafaring family had seen her dad and brothers away from home for a long time and the way her mum had to cope decided it was not for her,fortunately she changed her mind and we married after all.Sadly after seven wonderful years she passed away.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ships Laundry

When I sailed on the "Reina del Mar"... Liverpool Chinese ran the laundry, I remember as Senior Cadet it was my job every morning to check how much water they had used and put a chit on the Mates desk before breakfast, as well and sand and canvassing the bridge deck wooden rails. The story goes that the Reina started with female laundry ladies, but so many became pregnant that they reverted to all male laundry personnel.
Sorry to hear about your wife Tom.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Forgot to mention the Spanish guy you mentioned previously was called Julio..bit of a character really...we used to pick up the Spanish crew each trip in Santander and were mainly assigned to Tourist Class.
Bagged Fish meal was never carried on the "Reina" whilst I was there.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Something I forgot when I paid off the Reina Del Mar I was paid too much as I had two fivers stuck together in my money.Has any other brother had such luck in there pay offs? On the ship we had a passenger who flipped his lid and had to be watched and myself and another a.b. Did this duty on our watch in the sick bay and when he walked about we would accompany him he took a shine to us and in the shop he bought us a spinning ash tray but we gave it back later to the shop but when he went into the bar he ordered gin and tonics for us and himself the barman gave us ours but only gave him a tonic no gin he flipped again over this so back to the hospital his family picked him on Peru. On leaving Colon to go thro the canal the after mooring crew most of us well hung over were treated to an ice cold bottle of Barclays beer by a lady and her daughter who as I have mentioned before we had a dalliance with the best livener I have ever tasted,we had them both with us the night before in Dirty Dicks bar where we gave them the peter meters the bar used to give out anyone remember them ,another a,b.with an odd perv was a guy who stole our fruit de looms wierd bugger he was also a blimpmerchant also I think that Sadie a famous Liverpool queen was a steward on her.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think the Bar you mention in Cristobal was the "Dog House Bar"......seem to remember 10c for a small beer...and I have had many a thick head after doing the canal transit.
Remember a tale about the lads in a Dock road Pub during the seaman's strike, feeling sorry for themselves...and the door swings open and there is Sadie in a fur coat."Don't worry lads the Queen is back"

·
Registered
895 Posts
Something I forgot when I paid off the Reina Del Mar I was paid too much as I had two fivers stuck together in my money.

where we gave them the peter meters the bar used to give out anyone remember them ,
Never lucky with money, only ever got what I worked for.:rolleyes:

Peter meter had one of those for years, forget what I reached on the scale, think it was to do with someone laughing (==D)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Never lucky with money, only ever got what I worked for.:rolleyes:

Peter meter had one of those for years, forget what I reached on the scale, think it was to do with someone laughing (==D)
Hi Seaman 38 as I remember the measure started at an inch =tuck it in you are an embarrassment to the male race one was for large girls and small cattle funny how I remember that why?

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Hi Seaman 38 as I remember the measure started at an inch =tuck it in you are an embarrassment to the male race one was for large girls and small cattle funny how I remember that why?
The one given out in Kowloon's Gingles Bar started with the remark "Should have been a girl." Another was "Housewives' joy.' but can't remember any others. Seventy years is a long haul.

Foca's mention of the Spaniard called Julio - I did a trip on the old Reina in summer of 1950 and remember a portly Santander steward who could possibly be the same guy. Working at touching up the foredeck paintwork and such, he would come up on his break and pretend to be finding fault with our work, as if he was the bosun. We also kidded him and got to learn a few Spanish swear words whenever he fired back - my favourite; he would grab his crotch and say "Tojo mi los cojones."

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The photograph of her burning tells almost all that you need to know. She was the Former Furness Bermuda ship Ocean Monarch. Once Furness Bermuda ceased operations she was sold to Bulgarian interests and renamed Varna. She sailed for some years under this name, even undertaking cruises along the St Lawrence, as well as Mediterranean cruises. She was laid up for some time before this plan to reactivate her came about and her cruises were widely promoted. Hence the variety of brochures shown. However, it was not to be as she burned whilst undergoing refitting work for her new role.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Way back, member sparkle2182 asked why have a passenger liner service between UK and Chile ?
Hard to believe nowadays but international jet airline service was still in its infancy even in the mid 1950's, but managed to kill off all regular international passenger service by sea in less than 10 years ...general cargo went the same way soon after with containerization.
In 1951 I began a seagoing carreer I had dreamed of, thinking it would last a lifetime, only to see ship jammed ports and rivers, and hardly a day at sea without a ship sighting, vanish in 20 years. In recent years, serving on container ships, made all Pacific crossings without sighting another vessel almost until landfall ... really don't know what to say at this point ... Snowy.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Dog House Bar ( early 1950's ) had a rum drink called "A Zombie" which was free if one could knock it back in one go and a Certificate called "Hair of the dog". The tape measure ( a 12 inch long paper strip ) I recalled starting off with "Just a waterspout, should have been a girl". Others were "Maiden's delight", "For large girls and small cattle" and I think the last was "For barroom betting only". The Dos Hermanos in Havana was hard to pass up as was the Star Bar in Callao and in Valparaiso, the Zepplin ? either that or a like German name. Once when in Callao, we received a sunami warning and the entire Peruvian Navy put out to sea and most civilians left for Lima area. The port went dead so we all went ashore to the Star Bar and the ladies stayed as they figured we knew better. In hindsight we made a foolish decision as had we known how catastrophic recent sunami events have been, we definitely would have put to sea. As it was we just had what we used to call a "Surf Day "
and as a Cadet and not allowed to drink ... did our usual bar tending which was simply opening bottles of beer and collecting soles ... occasionally nudging awake one of the girls resting under the bar to get ready when another crew member with money walked in. Must not frequent taverns, ale houses or houses of ill repute ... a line in our indentures ! Snowy

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Way back, member sparkle2182 asked why have a passenger liner service between UK and Chile ?

Passengers were not important. It was the MAILS.

The REINA DEL MAR was the replacement for the aging REINA DEL PACIFICO. The 'MAR' was only seven years on the PSNC run. By 1963 the liner service was not viable and the ship was chartered to and went to Union Castle. PSNC continued until the mid 1980s and by then even their cargo fleet had disappeared. Why they did not stay and continue with containers? Probably bad management and probably some due to EU too.

·
Banned
526 Posts
reina del mar to the breakers

REINA DEL MAR
O.N. 187132. 20,263g. 11,214n. 600' 9" x 78' 4" x 30' 1"
Six steam turbines made by the shipbuilder, driving twin propeller shafts. 17,000 SHP. 18kts.
5.6.1955: Launched by Harland & Wolff Ltd., Belfast (Yard No. 1533) for Pacific Steam Navigation Company Ltd., Liverpool. 8.4.1956: Completed. 1964: Chartered to Travel Saving Association (Union-Castle; Canadian Pacific; Royal Mail and Max Wilson all being participants). (Union-Castle Mail Steam Ship Company Ltd. / Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd., appointed as managers). 6.1964: Charterers acquired 100% by Union-Castle Mail Steam Ship Company Ltd. 1969: Transferred to Royal Mail Lines Ltd., (same managers) and charter extended for a further five years. 10.1973: Sold to Union-Castle Mail Steam Ship Company Ltd., (Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd., managers). 5.1975: Transferred to Travel Savings Ltd., (same managers). 1975: Sold to / through Mitsui & Company Ltd., Japan, for demolition in Taiwan. 30.7.1975: Arrived at Kaohsiung for demolition by Tung Cheng Steel Manufacturing Company. 10.12.1975: Work commenced.
interestingly - i have these images on file of the reina del mar - the first two i believe are just before she went to the breakers however not sure were the 2 images were taken - the 3rd is of her in cape town - again on her way to the breakers - and the final one shows her berthed again at capetown with the pendennis castle - the last one is quite striking as one normally perceives her to have been quite large - but against the pendennis castle - she seems quite small - cheers

Attachments

61 - 80 of 93 Posts