Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for info on the Shields trawler Relko. She was working from Shields in the mid 60s. This is the only information I have.
Regards,
Janathull. (Applause)

·
Registered
2 Posts
norman

the Relko was mainly on researse with pelagic trawls with sir dennis Burney i dont know if this is the correct spelling for his name but he was the guy who invented the paravane that mine sweepers used. she was powered by Maybach engines and was built at Mitchison's on the Tyne, i dont know whether she ever fished commercally. i was chief engineer in her sister ship the Pelamid SN 71 that was sold to the Norwegians as a carrier and the next time i sore her was when she was loading sprats at North Shields fish quay. i hope this of some help to you Norman ex chief

·
Registered
1 Posts
M.T.Relko

Hi

Please respond either here or better still to my e mail

I have the original ships bell, dated 1963

My late father was skipper

Please respond so we can talk more personally

A phone number would be great.

Best regards

Simon

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi here is the history I have on Relko all additional info welcome

Relko: (SN 128) (1962 – 20??) (Steel)
O.N. 187941: 270g, 67n 112.2 x 25.0 x 12.6 feet
800 hp Diesel 2 x 4-cyl 4 SCSA Oil Engines by Maybech by Bristol Siddeley Engineering Ltd, Coventry) (Single screw shaft & variable pitch propeller)

18.07.1962: Launched by T. Mitchison Ltd Gateshead (Yd. No 518) forSeapool Ltd London (Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd North Shields managers) as “Relko” SN 128. 05.07.1963: Completed by Greenock Dockyard Company (Gateshead) Ltd. 07.1963: Registered at North Shields SN 128. 06.01.1964: Owned by White Fish Authority London. 1968: Owned by Vickers Ltd Barrow on Furness (James Fisher & Sons Ltd., Barrow, managers) converted to Diving Support/Research Vessel. 04.06.1968: Renamed “VICKERS VENTURER”. 1972: Owned by Vickers Oceanic Ltd. 1980: Owned by British Oceanics Ltd., (Premier Shipping & Engineering Ltd., managers). 1980: Renamed “VENTURER”. 1981: Owned by Eagle Tugs Ltd., (Shipmarc Ltd., managers), Cayman Islands. 1986: Owned by Albin Maritime Corp., (Southern Engineering Company Ltd, managers), St Vincent. 1988: LR class withdrawn, owners and managers deleted. 09.10.2007: Reported as having been sold, to undisclosed buyers.

regards

Andy

I think the Shetland museum website have a photo ???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts