Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just written to my MP in the hope he may join with others and take Mrs May's spade away.
Would like minded readers urge their own MPs to join in.

Dear Sir Alan,

I am writing to you this Remembrance weekend to urge you to take some positive action to help save our country from what will become a setback of similar dimensions to past wars, if the present path the Prime Minister and your Government are taking is not stopped.

It has always surprised me that the anti-war aspect of the EU is never mentioned in the UK. It is one of the strongest drivers of ever closer union which many of the 27 are committed to. Germany and France in particular see this as a way out of future wars. I personally do not think we should seek closer union, we already enjoy the best of both worlds, being semi- detached from the 27, enjoying many benefits, but not being a member of the Euro Zone or the Schengen arrangements.

How a bunch of right wing liars managed to persuade so many of us to vote leave still puzzles and dismays me. However, whatever they thought they voting for is certainly not about to happen.

Could you please publically support a further referendum to take place as soon as possible. Three questions;

· Accept the terms negotiated by the PM (whatever they turn out to be)

· Leave with ‘No Deal’

· Stay in the EU on pre Brexit terms

To become binding only when one option has a minimum of 60% support with a turnout of at least 60%. It is essential we move away from the dangerous 50/50 split we have as a result of the first referendum.

Although the resolve the PM is displaying would normally be welcomed, she seems to have completely lost touch with reality. She must be prevailed upon to stop digging this enormous hole that will bury us all if she does not stop now.

There are surely enough MPs from all sides who must put personal and political party loyalties aside and show the same overriding loyalty to the country that those we will be remembering this weekend did.

I implore you to show some leadership and resolve to help stop this impending disaster now. Eleventh hour was never more appropriate.

Yours sincerely,

RFJ Goodey

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
We never joined the EU, we joined the EEC on a fabricated tissue of lies from the Heath Government, supported by both Tory and Labour factions of the press. We were coerced into ever closer political union by subsequent acts forced through Parliament by PM's such as Johnny "subsidiarity" Major and Gordon "I'll sign up to it" Brown. And you wonder why the present Government and current crop of MP's as well as Euro Pensioners who keep sticking their oars in, such as Mandelson, are reluctant to actually do what they were instructed to do by Cameron's referendum. A referendum that was voted through Parliament with support from both sides of the House.

They couldn't organise an orgy in a house of ill repute, any of them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
who actually knows what this offer is all about, who has seen the actual figures??, I would accept another vote on whether to accept the deal, but not another referendum on leave or not, if there were to be one, i want the best of 5??. A lot of people i speak to who voted to remain, are now harbouring deep resentment of the EU, so i would not be surprised if the vote to leave was larger. The question of a European Army has raised its ugly head again, no thanks!!!, if that came about, who would be in charge ? Germany ?, 3rd attempt, mission accomplished, kt

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting that after so many views of this thread how few have a reaction, printable or not.

geoff
Yes Geoff, I was expecting more reaction than this, from all points of the compass. Complacency, Brexhaustion or just past caring?
Wake up lads, we still have time to save ourselves, but its running out fast. What has happened to self preservation? I thought it was one of the strongest of human reactions.
After making a decision based on lies and lack of information, when you start to get more and better information it begins to dawn that you have made a mistake. Is it then un-democratic to change your mind? Common sense in my book.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Writing to my MP would be of no possible value. She is Priti Patel, a fervent advocate of the Leave campaign, who has never voted against the government on any subject. She, despite being the daughter of an East African Asian immigrant who was given permission to enter the UK when Idi Amin came to power in Uganda, is strongly in favour of excluding asylum-seekers and immigrants from Europe.

A letter from me is not going to make her change her views.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I have only had one communication from my MP since the General Election. Having heard him speak in Parliament I'm not surprised.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
We never joined the EU, we joined the EEC on a fabricated tissue of lies from the Heath Government, supported by both Tory and Labour factions of the press. We were coerced into ever closer political union by subsequent acts forced through Parliament by PM's such as Johnny "subsidiarity" Major and Gordon "I'll sign up to it" Brown. And you wonder why the present Government and current crop of MP's as well as Euro Pensioners who keep sticking their oars in, such as Mandelson, are reluctant to actually do what they were instructed to do by Cameron's referendum. A referendum that was voted through Parliament with support from both sides of the House.

I wonder why you missed out Mrs. Thatcher? After all, the European single market which seeks to guarantee the free movement of goods, capital, services, and labour (the four freedoms) was her legacy.

Her speech to business leaders regarding even closer ties, "We must get this right. Too often in the past Britain has missed opportunities.....It's your job, the job of business, to gear yourselves up to take the opportunities which a single market of nearly 320 million people will offer......Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers—visible or invisible—giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the world's wealthiest and most prosperous people.....Bigger than Japan. Bigger than the United States. On your doorstep. And with the Channel Tunnel to give you direct access to it.....
It's not a dream. It's not a vision. It's not some bureaucrat's plan. It's for real.

Those four ideals are what Brexit destroys.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

Correct Roy, correct

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been away from SN for a few days and notice this thread has been moved.
Who moved it, and where did they put it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wonder why you missed out Mrs. Thatcher? After all, the European single market which seeks to guarantee the free movement of goods, capital, services, and labour (the four freedoms) was her legacy.

Her speech to business leaders regarding even closer ties, "We must get this right. Too often in the past Britain has missed opportunities.....It's your job, the job of business, to gear yourselves up to take the opportunities which a single market of nearly 320 million people will offer......Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers—visible or invisible—giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the world's wealthiest and most prosperous people.....Bigger than Japan. Bigger than the United States. On your doorstep. And with the Channel Tunnel to give you direct access to it.....
It's not a dream. It's not a vision. It's not some bureaucrat's plan. It's for real.

Those four ideals are what Brexit destroys.
Oh I much prefer this little snippet from another 1988 speech of hers four months later!!

"We have not successfully rolled back the frontiers of the state in Britain, only to see them reimposed at a European level, with a European superstate exercising a new dominance from Brussels."

There are heaps more of course for whatever slant one chooses but members can Google for themselves. (Smoke) Good ploy though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts