Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've lost Photoshop whilst "cleaning" my computer I've been looking for a replacement. I was recommended Picassa, but it appears to be no longer available. Does anyone know a suitable alternative which would allow me to manipulate my pictures?

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I use Gimp and it is a powerful program, but it does take some getting used to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Replacing Photoshop.

Hi, I still use Picasa but Google have stopped support for it but I can still do editing and e-mail photos from it via Thunderbird. An alternative is Paint.net which is free but more complicated and does what Picasa does and more.
Phil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could try Affinity, from Serif. It is cheap (~£40) and very powerful, with plenty of online help. There is also a version for IPad.
jop.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Faststone Image Viewer "http://www.faststone.org/download.htm" has my vote if you want something that can view and improve photos really well. Slide the mouse to port to see and use all the tools available. Slide to starboard to view attributes such as EXIF. Move mouse north and see the Thumbnails browser of nearby photos. Move southwest to view a control and navigator bar, move southeast to access the Windows task bar. I've used many other more sophisticated programs such as Photoshop but start off managing and initial 'fixing' pics with Faststone. No comparison with what Picassa supplied. Yes, it's free.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
I have got Gimp on my Pc, and it does a lot, but I find it a bit ***bersome, so I generally use the smaller, simpler, free Paint.net. This used to be a Microsoft product, but they abandoned it, and it was continued by enthusiasts.

I had Photoshop for a year, but this was a year when I spent a lot of time in hospital and hardly got to use it. And since you no longer can buy Photoshop, but now have to rent it, that was a great waste of money. And, as far as I could ascertain, it did not do anything that Gimp does not do.

I got a photo viewer on my PC with Windows 10, called "Photo", it has a few means of enhancing pictures. The cropping function is awful, the colour filters are even worse, but the lighting compensation bits I think are all damn good. And that is the function I use the most for camera pictures. I sometimes like to direct contrast a little on top of this with Paint.net's "curves." But if I want to do anything in the way of serious colour manipulation I have to open the Gimp.

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Ive got Photoscape which I like very much, and also another very good free programme called IrfanView, which I have used for many years and would recommend as being simple and effective and ideal for basic functions like resizing and cropping.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Not a photo problem. I have last Windows Live Mail - don't ask me how - and want to see any e-mail that has surely landed in that app since I last looked, plus all the other in box stuff I have been saving. When I attempted to go into WLM I got a small window telling me "wlmail.exe - System Error. The code execution cannot proceed because WLDCore.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix the problem."

Well, I got nowhere with that and, further searching tells me that Microsoft no longer supports WLM and that I need to use Outlook. I am not averse to change, as long as it is an improvement but, what has happened to those e-mails I wanted to save from my old WLM?

Please keep any solutions as simple as possible as I am severely challenged by Techy stuff.(Whaaa)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Simple Photo Programme

As I've lost Photoshop whilst "cleaning" my computer I've been looking for a replacement. I was recommended Picassa, but it appears to be no longer available. Does anyone know a suitable alternative which would allow me to manipulate my pictures?
I use Photos, it comes free with Windows 10 for quick editing and enhancing,

I also use Microsoft ICE for creating panorama shots, download free from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52459

This is one I created from several shots joined together on a Panama cruise, it was a monsoon at the time so the photograph is a little dismal, but it is unique, there will be more photographs of the bridge, especially when it is complete.

I also use Corel's Paintshop Pro Version X6, I have used it since inception, not to difficult and they have an easy tutor.

I enhanced this photograph of HMS Victorious, by adding the crest and lifebelt. The lifebelt photograph I took at Port Canaveral Florida when the Victorious submarine S9 was visiting, the Chief of the boat was the son of my old messmate on the carrier back in the 50's, he arranged for two husbands and wives of old crew to visit.
Great memories.
The HMS Victorious Facebook Forum use it as there opening photograph, but they cut off my copyright.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I use Photos, it comes free with Windows 10 for quick editing and enhancing,
Thank you for pointing this program out, Microsoft shoots itself in the foot by making their little "presents" annoying by taking them away when you have got used to them. I am going to give this a go.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I use 'Photos' for quick, good and easy results. Some of its results turn out just as good in 10 seconds as ages of fiddling with whatever version or other of 'Photoshop' that I have.

'Photoshop', of course, is far more comprehensive and a much steeper learning curve but 'Photos' is just as good for many of my pics.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Earlier I recommended Faststone Image Viewer at "http://www.faststone.org/download.htm". Has anyone else tried it yet? I used all the others that are recommended above and haven't found any that I would prefer over Faststone. When I have a really serious editing job to do I use Corel's Paintshop Pro but the majority of my editing and organising is done with Faststone. Is it just me? I'd really like to get an opinion from anyone who has tried it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts