Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Oz you can access, and print out, WW2 servicemen's / women's records on the Nominal Roll through the Australian War Memorial website - a gov't entity. For the basic records you don't have to provide your identity details.
I'm looking to do the same on a British serviceman from WW2 but can't find an equivalent type website for the UK. The information seems to be available from several non-gov't websites but you have to log in with your name and email details and, it appears, a fee is payable.
Can anyone advise the best and simplest way to achieve what I'm seeking ?

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Try looking at the website for The British National Archives which is located at Kew in West London - not that the location should affect you from Oz. I have had some good results for a very similar search there. The website can be a bit ponderous but in many cases you get there in the end. There is no charge, or there did not use to be a charge.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
They will charge if You need any of Their Do***entation but excellent provided you can give Them some good info.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Unfortunately, if it is a British serviceman you are researching [WW2 era and beyond], then there is only really one thing you can do and that is apply for the man's service record. These records are still held by the Ministry of Defence https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records and will cost £30 unless the serviceman's spouse is still alive. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There are some exceptions with Navy, for example if a seaman had service from the early 1920's that followed into WW2 then he may have a record in the ADM series at Kew. But, if it is someone who was called up for WW2 service then the only way to go is via the MOD.

Merchant Navy records are different and it is important to distinguish between them, but getting hold of all of them takes a bit of knowledge as to where they are held and how to search for them. There are no MN records that are free unless you can attend TNA Kew in person.

Regards
Hugh

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
Unfortunately, if it is a British serviceman you are researching [WW2 era and beyond], then there is only really one thing you can do and that is apply for the man's service record. These records are still held by the Ministry of Defence https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records and will cost £30 unless the serviceman's spouse is still alive. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There are some exceptions with Navy, for example if a seaman had service from the early 1920's that followed into WW2 then he may have a record in the ADM series at Kew. But, if it is someone who was called up for WW2 service then the only way to go is via the MOD.

Merchant Navy records are different and it is important to distinguish between them, but getting hold of all of them takes a bit of knowledge as to where they are held and how to search for them. There are no MN records that are free unless you can attend TNA Kew in person.

Regards
Hugh
With your help, Hugh, I managed to get sent from Kew, the ship movements log of the SS Spero - my Dad's ship during the war.
They cost £3.

JJ.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Glad that worked out for you, John.
Some MN records such as movements and medal files you can download for £3.50 but most of the rest will need a visit to Kew or you will need to employ a researcher.

Military records as I have stated are via the Ministry of Defence.

Regards
Hugh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts