Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lived in New Zealand, as a citizen since 1998.
I am considering a move back to England (specifically the South West, where I have roots).
I would like to hear whether this is a good idea?
What do members see as the Pro’s and Con’s?
I have been very happy here up until a few years ago, when things started to go ‘awry’ for me. I will soon be 60, have a reasonable amount of savings, and intend travelling, visiting family and friends, seeing the world (not easy or cheap from NZ).
Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Nick,
I don't know anything about moving to England, but it might be wise to try it out for a year or so before making a final decision, not selling your house or property in NZ and renting in UK, that way you test it out and if it does not suit you then nothing is lost. That's the advise my friends received when they decided to go back to Europe after so many years in Aus. they came back after a few years and at least their house was there waiting for them and they resumed their old lives very easily.

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
UK has changed in the last 20 years. I would suggest that you come over for a holiday, and sus things out for yourself before deciding.
I imagine that Kiwi is a much more relaxed place overall than the UK, but our SW with your roots wouldn't be a bad place to settle, weather excepted of course.
I know where I'd rather live. :)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Friends that moved back to Scotland after living in Canada for 30 years.
Big mistake as it was not as they fondly remembered it and these romantic illusions were soon dispelled.
Back they came but as they had sold everything it was starting afresh and difficult!
Would never have done it they said had they given it much more consideration.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Some sage advice there Nick, try it before you buy it.
I spent a month in London in 1957 doing the sights and trawling around my Dad's haunts which he left in 1920 only to report a dirty tired city still showing many of the signs and sores of WW2 and returned home with enough evidence to convince him he did the right thing escaping to NZ.
I visited Germany and England on business again in 1984 and again in 1988 and found a huge change , enough to plan an extensive retirement trip to Europe in 1998. A trip to the Greek islands , a month in Europe with a Euro-rail first class train pass then a 3000 mile five week rental car trip from Marble Arch to Kent, across the southern counties to Cornwall , up to North Yorkshire then down to the Cotswolds and much in between.
It was June/ July , beautiful weather , wonderful villages gardens, English breakfasts , and pubs to die for. Enough to come home with a will to move there for a while but other attractions deferred the plans and in hindsight we had a lucky escape. NZ has its social and ecconomic problems but not on the scale of Britain.

Bob

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I could not better Baulkham Hills advice. Rent and absorb the local lifestyle over at least two seasons then you will be able to make a more informed decision. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
A friend of mine was persuaded by his wife to sell up and move back to the UK after about 35 years living here in OZ.They lasted about 6 months and came back and had to start all over,it was a bit hard at first but they seemed to have settled back OK, but they do admit to having spent a fair amount of money in the process. The place they went to in the UK was Exeter. In retrospect they admit that selling their home here was a mistake,they think they should have just rented it out.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Much appreciated, sound advice which I cannot argue with.
More opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
371 Posts
All of these posters are correct Nick plus you have to think about your pension. With your time already spent in NZ you will be entitled to full Super and whist it's not a fortune it certainly does help (from one who knows) If you wait until you are 65 you will be able to move to the UK and receive yout NZ pension there under "portability arrangements". Whatever the UK pension pay you will be deducted from your NZ one. Kia ora mate.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Like most, I would advocate the old 'toe in the water' approach. I love the UK, but hate the idea of moving there, and I only live in the Isle of Man - relatively close. I love visiting, but, tbh, I would give more thought to moving to NZ than moving to the UK. Try it, by all means, but keep ALL your bridges intact ...

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Nick

My advice is to stay put. I emigrated to NZ in 1968 coming back to join the merchant navy bringing my ex wife back with me when at sea. We bought a house, and intended to go back, but when I left the sea she left me with our son, so I was never able to go back. When back here for good nothing was the same. People I had known all my life until I emigrated hardly spoke, the roots had been cut, I was treated like an outsider, and still am, even by family. Based on my own experience, you can never go back. Indeed, I was not happy here anyway, which is why I emigrated. Living in NZ as well as at sea was the happiest time of my life. Whatever problems you have in NZ could be far worse here. Better the devil you know as they say.

If memory serves me right you were coming back for a holiday. and I offered to meet you. I would go back tomorrow if I had the chance.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Nick, I return to the UK after 30 years next year. I have mixed feelings but mainly based on fear of the unknown. I've lived in some weird and whacky places throughout my life so I don't think adapting to being back in the UK would be insurmountable. The biggest problem I foresee is mainstream UK opinion being different to mine based on a wider view of life. I guess I'm going have to learn to keep my mouth shut which will be a challenge in itself! Whatever you decide to do, do it with conviction.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Nick, I return to the UK after 30 years next year. I have mixed feelings but mainly based on fear of the unknown. I've lived in some weird and whacky places throughout my life so I don't think adapting to being back in the UK would be insurmountable. The biggest problem I foresee is mainstream UK opinion being different to mine based on a wider view of life. I guess I'm going have to learn to keep my mouth shut which will be a challenge in itself! Whatever you decide to do, do it with conviction.
I lived abroad in various countries, but never more than four years at a time (a self imposed rule), as I had met too many people who had lived abroad for 20 years plus and their view of their homeland was at variance with up to date reality. However we are all different and what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. Of course you will find a difference, but I believe as world travellers in our earlier days we learned to cope. You said that you have a wider view of life than perhaps the average UK resident, a lot has changed in 30 years, the average British person is more travelled than in years of fore, Here in the UK we can enjoy different cultures within their own countries in a couple of hours of leaving home and a four hour radius gives many more opportunities, much more so than living in Singapore or Australasia. However like others, if you have the means, retain a foothold in the country you currently residing in, until you are sure, you may be able to adapt, but your family may not.

At this moment we in the UK, like so many other countries are going through changes, but it is still a good place to live, and having worked in and/or visited 90 different countries in my sea and shore career I would still choose the UK; but home is always where your family and heart is, but to me those two are the same thing.

Sometimes you have to take the plunge, otherwise you may live a lifetime of 'if only I had etc etc' Life is full of quandaries such as it is better to have loved and lost than never loved at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,632 Posts
Nick,

I have attached a link that maybe of help to you. Returning after a considerable time, if you have not visited during the last 21 years, will be very difficult. Everything in UK except our wonderful country side has changed. Very fast and furious at times and here in the West Country property prices are very high. Some of the coastal areas have eye watering prices as do many favoured villages.
I would certainly think extremly hard about the return. As others have suggested come back and rent somewhere you want to possibly live and test the waters. Do not sell your NZ home. You can go back and deal with that if you decide the move back to UK is a definite.
I saw many people who moved to Spain, who after a time wanted to retun to UK and it was very hard for them to re-establish themselves in UK.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/do***ents/factsheets/fs25_returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf

Neville - Hawkey01

·
Registered
992 Posts
Sorry you’re unsettled after so long there Nick & solution not clear after weighing up all pro’s/cons etc. But there are some pretty wise comments here. Maybe the trial return, suggested by some, might be the way ahead. I think the UK still one of the better places to live, but on the face of it, (strong family reasons aside) my inclination would be to stay put & stick with what you know. (Though might not have said that a few years ago). Hope things become clearer for you Nick & am sure whatever you decide will work out ok.
All the best OJ

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
You said that you have a wider view of life than perhaps the average UK resident, a lot has changed in 30 years, the average British person is more travelled than in years of fore, Here in the UK we can enjoy different cultures within their own countries in a couple of hours of leaving home and a four hour radius gives many more opportunities, much more so than living in Singapore or Australasia.
I mentioned that because I've been fortunate to live for a good number of years in mainland Europe, Brazil, Central Asia and Singapore and have used that time to travel throughout all those regions both for work and pleasure. I return to the UK annually so I have a pretty good idea of how folks are however I guess the main difference is a holiday in a country is not the same as living there when in general the longer you stay the more you experience what it's really like to live in that country/region. (Sao Paulo was a shocker... lying in bed listening to machine gun fire...). Anyway, we shall see... (EEK)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts