Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
REYNOLDS was built by Boelwerfe temse in 1973 for Bolton Shipping .15964 Gt. Pictured at Genoa july 1984 discharging grain (Silos Granari del Mezzogiorno) Ponte Parodi now demolished for a luxury cruise area) at the end 2003 still in service as GUANG SHEN flagged R.P of China.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of my old ships!
I joined her in Prince Rupert 10th March 1980 in a blinding snowstorm and paid off in sunny Manila on 4th July. I'm trying to think where we went but I know we spent a few days in Port Kembla loading steel for Kaohsiung.

Rgds
Dick Ware (ex Marconi Marine R/O)

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good Dick, i hope this is a good remember for you!!! from a passioned of merchant ships. Hi GP

·
Registered
6 Posts
tanker said:
Very good Dick, i hope this is a good remember for you!!! from a passioned of merchant ships. Hi GP
That photo must've been taken on one of the few occasions when the ship wasn't rolling!. I reckon she could roll in a drydock; she was a swine in rough weather!

Dick

·
Banned
48 Posts
As I see you just joined us today (and presently show on the main page as "our newest member"), a warm welcome aboard to you Ilhan, enjoy the good ship SN and all who sail on her. Bon Voyage

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Reynolds was my first and second trips 24/3/81 to 17/7/81 & 23/9/81 to 30/4/82. Load steel in Middlesbrough. Discharge 6 to 8 ports up the Great Lakes. Load grain in Duluth & Thunder Bay for the continent. 5 days seasick North Atlantic. Also used to run from Santos & Angra Dos Reis with steel. Was in a collision on her November 81 coming out of the River Seine, hit by the ice breaker bow of the Finn Forest. Took out all the sailors cabins. Spent a month in North Korea middle of winter -40 and a further 5 weeks in Sydney waiting to load coal for Japan.

Some ship, some memories.

Spent three years with Bolton's. Got the sack, missed ship (Nosira Lin) in Santos. Rejoined her up the coast but then borrowed a pick up truck in Vancouver with one of the Stewards. Collision with a train and a few ton of timber. Snapped left femur in half and was out for 6 month with a $1000 fine to pay. Did my last trip with them 1983 (Nosira Sharon) to pay off fine. Personnel Manager flew out to Ravenna to terminate employment once it was paid off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Captain J. Parsloe. Only decent Master I have ever met, signed me off in hosptital. Just checked my Discharge Book, signed & dated 30th November 1982. I remember him visiting me on several occasions in hospital. He even chastised a police officer for intimidating me as I was waiting to got to the oprerating theatre.

Spent two weeks in hospital and was flown home by CP Airways on a DC-10. They had to remove six seats from the plane to fit my stretcher on. 16 hour flight Vancouver to Schipol, then to Newcastle airport and picked up by ambulance and taken to North Tees Hospital for medical where I lived. Funny but I was more scared at 18 of what my Mam & Dad would do when I got home than all the s**t I had caused.

My old man was Bosun with BP at the time and was not to impressed when I got home, but like he said... those without sin cast the first stone (*))

·
Registered
301 Posts
Trying to upload photo of Reynolds collision in 1981. Laid alongside Le Harve for repairs. I was sat directly behind the messroom storm door waiting to go on 00.04 watch. Is was ripped off with the force of the impact from the Finn Forest and was never found.

Hope it loads up.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey dick a few days in port kembla try 7 weeks the wharfies went on strike we discharged limestone from sasibo? japan and back loaded steel for koashiung tiawan and manila your name is familiar but i cannot put a face to it

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of my old ships!
I joined her in Prince Rupert 10th March 1980 in a blinding snowstorm and paid off in sunny Manila on 4th July. I'm trying to think where we went but I know we spent a few days in Port Kembla loading steel for Kaohsiung.

Rgds
Dick Ware (ex Marconi Marine R/O)
Dick,
I also sailed the mighty Reynolds. I served on Rossetti, Reynolds and Rubens between 1974 and 1980. I was 4th, 3rd and 2nd eng during that period. Left them just before you joined. I had many happy days with them and their photos are along my hallway walls. Sad or what!

P.Charnley

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi can anyone please tell me what the biggest contaner carrier in in the world today , ive been looking for sights put cant find the information i want , you can reply to [email protected] if you wish , and thank you for any help resived , love and hugs : - ] ....................

·
Banned
152 Posts
I believe it is the Emma Maersk, but that will change soon as she is the first of a series of vessels (all sister's)

Sláinte

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Ref: MV. Reynolds. Without a doubt my favorite ship in 26 years of sailing. Was with her during building and sailed her mainly as 2/E for many years. But wow did she perform in a sea!!!!!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Another quick one...I stood by the building of Rossetti, Reynolds and Rubens. Sister ships but, to me, the Reynolds just had way more character. Then stood by building of Nosira Lyn, Sharon and Madelaine...the Lyn was, again to my mind, a totally different ship. Then did Taian Taichu and Baron Dumore at Mitsui, Tamano...Taichu was a fabulous ship, yet the Dunmore immediately laid up after fitting out, seemed like a soul that needed awakening. They all had their personalities, it was just a matter of how they matched ours I guess.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Or at least she is when I remember to attach photo!!

Here she is in all her B&W hand touched glory hanging off the buoys at Port Said sometime mid 70's minus her sounding caps and the first 10 meters of mooring lines (Jester)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts