Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight (Thursday 23 July) on Channel 5 & 5HD (UK) TV, 2000-2100 BST there is a programme that some members might find interesting: "River Mersey: Then And Now" - the incredible history of the Mersey.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on this Ron. Very interesting indeed and a good commentary from Len Mc Cluskey.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I watched the programe,a glaring error they are not the Mersey Ferries but they are the Birkenhead Ferries and I don't know when this programe was made but they do not run from Birkenhead to Liverpool anymore,I post this at my wife's insistance she is a proud Birkenhead lass.Tho the Merchant Navy was mentioned it never gave credence to the real cost if life to the real heroes paid neither mentioned were the Chinese African Indian and many other nationalities from the Empire and sadly the 500 young lads who never saw their sixteenth birthday.It was great tho to see the wonderful Mersey and its contribution to the wider world sadly the part it's fleets played in the slave trade cannot be ignored.But the joy of sailing up that great river and seeing those three graces after a long trip cannot be bettered and to the brave men and women that saw them after the horrors of their voyages through the hell of the German submarines and bombers were beacons of safety.It is a great river and its people on both banks are the best you will ever meet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Tom, you are correct in one way, the ferries do not commute from Birkenhead to Liverpool, but they do run from Seacombe to Liverpool
with the Explorer sailings in between.

They did show the stern of the Leasowe.

When I commuted to Liverpool mid 60’s, the Wallasey boats were
Egremont, Leasowe, Royal Daff 11, and Royal Iris.

The Birkenhead boats were Mountwood, Woodchurch and Overchurch.

The Pierhead floating Landing stage, the longest in the world.

You had the Ferries, I.O.Man Ferry, and often two or three passy boats all at once. Cunard, CP, ED’s, Anchor, Irish Ferries.

It was a good programme but only skimmed, as you said, over subject matter that could have been expanded upon.

Who was the engineer that had an engineering plant at West Float that made locomotives and pre fabricated bridges for the Canadian railways. (Just remembered Thomas Brassey)

Sorry to have rambled,

Peter

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Ferries

On the Birkenhead head ferries who the hell thought up the horror of the painting the ferry all sorts of colours a bloody abomination a disgrace a diabolical sight to be sure I could go on but as you can conclude I HATE IT.

·
Registered
239 Posts
On the Birkenhead head ferries who the hell thought up the horror of the painting the ferry all sorts of colours a bloody abomination a disgrace a diabolical sight to be sure I could go on but as you can conclude I HATE IT.
Hear hear! I understand it was done to commemorate the battle of the Atlantic but it should have lasted just a few weeks.

Howard

·
Registered
211 Posts
Also the Edmund Gardner, (pilot boat).
Atlantic camouflage. Instead of mono chrome, technicolour, razzle dazzle.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mersey Car Ferry

I seem to remember a car ferry running from the Pier Head....were the cars were dropped off I never knew..most likely was Birkenhead

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hi Foca, Funnily enough they were called Luggage Boats even though they carried horse drawn carts, steam tractor lorries, man pulled carts and later cars and lorries. Wallasey had three of them ... during the War the Leasowe was fitted with a crane on each of their fore and aft decks ... She pulled alongside Tankers steaming up the river toward Eastham, and lifted off partially built fighter aircraft from the starboard side of the Tanker fore and aft decks so that the Tanker could then go directly to unload without delay. The planes were wheeled off at the Landing stage and towed through the streets to, I think, Speke.
When the Royal Daffodil was sunk at the Wallasey Seacombe Stage I made a number of trips across to Liverpool on the Luggage boats Liscard, Leasowe and Pearch Rock.
The Mersey Tunnel didn't serve Walasey in those days, hence the need for cargo boats.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sorry ! I forgot all about Birkenhead ferries ! They also operated Luggage Boats ... They had four of which the Bebington and the Oxton were also converted to crane boats to lift off aircraft from inbound convoy ships anchored in The Pool opposite the shipyard. Think they were all gone by by 1947 except for the Wallasey's "Pearch Rock" that was adapted to carry passengers Liverpool to New Brighton until 1954. Information from Mersey Memories Part One by Derek and Marian Young, 1990 publication.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts