Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The photo shows a Whirlwind helicopter hovering over a wreck apparently in the River Plate late 50s early 60s. The ship's name does not show up in the records. Any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I think that the photo is mis-captioned as the Cuidad de Montevideo didn't sink, she went to the breakers in BA in 1969.
Not a match for Ciudad de Asunción either. CIUDAD DE ASUNCION

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Nope, masts are all wrong.
I don't even think it is in the River Plate but rather an RN helicopter in the English Channel.
Argentine Sikorskys had the roundel on the hull just aft of the big door, RN had it - on their Westland Whirlwinds -as shown on the gusset under the tail boom with 'Royal Navy Rescue' above and astern of the roundel.

Looks like a four hatch short sea trader such as Bore used to have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with Cisco. The helicopter doesn't seem to be an argentinean or uruguayan one and the wreck seems to be a rather small ship. To my knowledge, no accident with 600 casualties happened in the River Plate basin. The worst one I think it was the collision between the "Royston Grange" and the "Tien Chee" with the loss of 88 lives.
The wreck cannot be the "Ciudad de Buenos aires" because although the date might match, she sank in the Paraná River.
Regards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts