Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today 3 rd Sept 2006 is 43 years to the day since I started my apprentice ship with Thos & Jno Brocklebank Limited at Riversdale Tech .
3 rd Sept in 1963 was in fact a Sunday and is the day I found the Aigburth Hotel while scouting my way around the college.

Any other " Aiggie " patrons of that era ??
Derek

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Happy days, Derek, you struck gold on the first day. I heard a lot of "Aigee" yarns from a Scouse Electrician who was a regular. After starting study leave at Riversdale (about 15 years after you) I too bumped into the place. On my very first "session", in walked my Lecky pal - I never looked back! My niece attended John Moore University, the new look Riversdale Tech, during the early '90s and also became an Aigburth Arms fan. I hear it's still going but in a re-vamped style - maybe not to the taste of former patrons. I also hear that Riversdale is now a housing estate - that's progress.

John T.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Attendend Riversdale for three months each year 1965, 66, 67, 68 Aigburth Arms for a pie and a pint was favorite lunch or Scallop and chips from the chippy on the other side of the road.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I heard the Aigburth Hotel is long gone since they widened the road from where the old dual carrigway ended ( by the cricket ground ) right through to Speke.
The last night we were all in the front Lounge in 65 things got a bit out of hand and a piece of the wooden trim from behind the padded seat which went around the perimeter came away in my hand ?. Its probably the only piece of the place still in existance.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Corrction . I have just posted my Indentures in the Galery and found the date to be 62 not 63 . 44 years ago since I strted work ; what happened to the time !!!!!!!
Happy Days .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Aigburth Hotel Riversdale

Still the best pint of Guiness that I recall and the mushy peas and chips from the chippy not far from there kept us alive after sailing in the Mersey over the river at the Tidal Pool.

Prior to going to Riversdale I went to Dundee college of Technology in Bell Street with Captain Creelman as one of the tutors, head of college was Captain Alan Gardiner.

Stuart Watt was anothe Gadget as was Stewart MacDonald who I understand sailed with BP for quite a few years, any takers on current whereabouts of any these folks would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your local in Dundee would have been the " Bread " Bredalbane Arms . Jimmy Stirling was the owner.
Best pint in " The Aiggie " in the early 60s was a pint of "D" which I remember was diamond '; dont know who made it but it was strong and good .
The other favorite there was " brown mixed "

·
Registered
340 Posts
Derek Roger said:
Your local in Dundee would have been the " Bread " Bredalbane Arms . Jimmy Stirling was the owner.
Best pint in " The Aiggie " in the early 60s was a pint of "D" which I remember was diamond '; dont know who made it but it was strong and good .

Double Diamond, brewed by Ind Coop I presume?

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Derek Roger said:
In Bristol a mixture of half a pint of brown ale and half of bitter used to be known as a "brown split" - there were a couple of pubs around town where you wouldn't be game to ask for one!

John T.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Memories of the "Bread" are to say the least hazy!
Although I hailed from the three "j's" Jute, Jam and Journalism city, it was a parting of sweet sorrows on my first departure for my first trip of 18 months.

The times we spent at the boatshed, along the waterfront at Broughty Ferry, sailing and rowing the old whaler, which had to be brought back up the beach each time on wooden rollers over the stony beach, would now be classed as "barbarism" or at least cruelty. If we had any issues with what we were being asked to do the penalty was to carry one of theses rollers, a hefty lump of wood, whose name I forget, for 30 or 40 feet over our heads!

My other memory's of Riversdale (70/71) was living in a single occupancy room in the Tower Block with a view over the Mersey rather than the dorm style of living which a few of my other classmates had to do, I recollect they were apprenticed to an Irish outfit which had a red hand on the funnel, any takers as to the Company?

·
Registered
340 Posts
My other memory's of Riversdale (70/71) was living in a single occupancy room in the Tower Block with a view over the Mersey rather than the dorm style of living which a few of my other classmates had to do, I recollect they were apprenticed to an Irish outfit which had a red hand on the funnel, any takers as to the Company?[/QUOTE]

Head Line?

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Razor said:
My other memory's of Riversdale (70/71) was living in a single occupancy room in the Tower Block with a view over the Mersey rather than the dorm style of living which a few of my other classmates had to do, I recollect they were apprenticed to an Irish outfit which had a red hand on the funnel, any takers as to the Company?
Head Line?[/QUOTE]

Correct - Head Line with the Red Hand of Ulster.

John T.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Happy days.

Spent many a night in the Aiggie. Fond memories of the young lassies from Calder Hall, I M Marsh and Notre Dame teacher training colleges!

John M

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I M Marsh !!!
The lassies used to follow Riversdales Rugby team during home games . One of our local fixtures was with the police cadets at their campus and they too of course frequented the Aiggie and went to I M Marsh dances .
There was intense rivarlry and the lads on both sides played up to the lassies
watching ( There was more boxing I think than rugby played on such fixtures
My brother Cameron who followed me at Riversdale met a young Lass at I M Marsh whom he married ( Poor lad had a shortened career with Brocks when he was required to " get a shore job " )

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not just follow. I can remember a couple of games between the I M Marsh lassies and the Riversdale lads!
Seem to remember that there was always lots of ripped shirts.

The landlord of the Aiggie used to let us cash cheques (max £2). What we had to do before cashpoint machines.
That £2 wouldn't last long on a night out these days!.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was at Riversdale from 64-66 and remember the Eggie well. The beer (Walkers of Warrington) was pretty foul and most people seemed to drink it half and half with a bottle of Brown Peter (also awful tack!). My digs were in Alma Road. I made a nostalgic trip back about fifteen years ago and was disappointed to discover that the new Eggy was an ultra-modern soulless sort of place - nothing like the establishment which lost all it's tables and chairs to a pyramid on the main road one Saturday night!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Riversdale 64/66

I was at Riversdale from 64-66 and remember the Eggie well. The beer (Walkers of Warrington) was pretty foul and most people seemed to drink it half and half with a bottle of Brown Peter (also awful tack!). My digs were in Alma Road. I made a nostalgic trip back about fifteen years ago and was disappointed to discover that the new Eggy was an ultra-modern soulless sort of place - nothing like the establishment which lost all it's tables and chairs to a pyramid on the main road one Saturday night!
Hey Bryan, remember me? Where did you go after we left College.
I went into Bibby Line until 1975 when I swallowed the pick. Now teaching at City of Bristol College.

Alan Melia

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I was there, on and off, of course, from '74-9. Interesting place. There was a strange bloke who used to announce the time in the mornings over the loudspeaker system, in a very curious voice. The chippy (greasy annie's we called it) was terrible. But, once you've a few pints inside you, things like that didn't seem to matter!
Peter

1 - 20 of 184 Posts