Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was at Riversdale from 64-66 and remember the Eggie well. The beer (Walkers of Warrington) was pretty foul and most people seemed to drink it half and half with a bottle of Brown Peter (also awful tack!). My digs were in Alma Road. I made a nostalgic trip back about fifteen years ago and was disappointed to discover that the new Eggy was an ultra-modern soulless sort of place - nothing like the establishment which lost all it's tables and chairs to a pyramid on the main road one Saturday night!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Riversdale 64/66

Hey Bryan, remember me? Where did you go after we left College.
I went into Bibby Line until 1975 when I swallowed the pick. Now teaching at City of Bristol College.

Alan Melia
Hello Allan
I only just picked up your message!
I stayed with Marconi until redundant in 1986. Most of my time there was with Bank Line worldwide trading, though as things got worse I spent the last five years or so on their copra boats commuting from Hull via Panama to the South Pacific (first stop Tahiti) then back via New Guinea and Suez.
After that I went F.O.C. and was lucky enough to spend five more years on the Valdivia (Harrisons Clyde) before my last trip on an Israeli-owned shambles when I walked off after three weeks.
Then, courtesy of a couple of well-paying insurance policies, I took several years off whilst I was still young enough, then worked for a local communications company programming mobile radios.

Now thoroughly enjoying retirement researching the old shipping companies. I never realised just how many there were - literally thousands - and that's just the UK!

Bryan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts