Ships Nostalgia banner
181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi John. I remained with Houlder Marine Drilling from 1982-89, then joined British Gas E&P (later Centrica E&P) working on offshore gas production platforms. Went into onshore gas terminal & power station management. Latter part of my career in Offshore & Onshore Project Management. Don’t recall the two guys from SS I’m afraid. Pev said he had been in touch; are you in contact with anyone else from Riversdale? Best Rgds, John.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi John. I remained with Houlder Marine Drilling from 1982-89, then joined British Gas E&P (later Centrica E&P) working on offshore gas production platforms. Went into onshore gas terminal & power station management. Latter part of my career in Offshore & Onshore Project Management. Don’t recall the two guys from SS I’m afraid. Pev said he had been in touch; are you in contact with anyone else from Riversdale? Best Rgds, John.
Hi John
Yes I had quite a few exchanges with Pev
No have had no contacts with ex riversdale cadets did have Jimmy Landry
On the phone in the 90’s
Names are coming back Forester who I recognize on photos slim with a moustache ( I think ) think he was an Everton supporter
The name Gosling also rings a bell a dark haired chap with strange eyes
Thèse 2 names came to mind at 5 in the morning
Let’s hope some ex cadets read ships nostalgia
Take care John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Riversdale Tech

Hi everyone. I've just joined after finding this Riversdale College thread trawling the net.

I attended there 69-71 studying ONC Mech Engineering. I'm not Merchant Navy, being an apprentice gas engineer with the North Western Gas Board back then - they sent about 20 odd of us to Riversdale straight from school. A revelation !!

All of us traveled there daily from the South Lancashire / Mersey areas and our course was in two 8 week blocks per year over 2 years. Most of us stayed with the NWGB / British Gas / National Grid throughout our careers and are all now retired. We didn't mix with many others at Riversdale probably due to us all commuting there daily.

I've been reading the many interesting memories of others at Riversdale. I'm trying to remember our lecturers,

Mr Endbinder - Electrical eng
Mr Kirkbride - Was he electrical also ?

One of these did not like us gas engineers and thought we shouldn't be there !!

Mr Lewis - A young guy Mathematics
Mr Fraser - first year mechanical second year maths - a bit of a terror !!
Other names I cant recall - Heat Engines - a baldish guy with a bit of a lisp (?) - superb lecturer though
Tech Drawing - dark haired guy

I remember the dire pies (and chips with flourescent green peas). A walk down to Otterspool promenade to watch various objects floating by !! One afternoons lectures were done in a Methodist Church at Aigburth Vale - quite a walk.

Sorry to realize it's all gone. Liverpool John Moores university now does a Marine Engineering course and has a state of the art computerised ships bridge simulator - I saw this whilst attending a open day a couple of years ago.

Later I did my HNC gas engineering at Stretford Tech Manchester - a different kettle of fish altogether !!

Thanks for the memories

Gasser

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Gasser, I was at Riversdale 64/65, Elder Dempster cadet, I think the heat engines lecturer was Lt Cmdr Kenworthy Neal RN. He was terrific and the last I heard of him was that he was teaching at the Australian Maritime College in Tasmania. Bill

·
Registered
36 Posts
Riversdale 64/66

Hey Bryan, remember me? Where did you go after we left College.
I went into Bibby Line until 1975 when I swallowed the pick. Now teaching at City of Bristol College.

Alan Melia
Hello Allan
I only just picked up your message!
I stayed with Marconi until redundant in 1986. Most of my time there was with Bank Line worldwide trading, though as things got worse I spent the last five years or so on their copra boats commuting from Hull via Panama to the South Pacific (first stop Tahiti) then back via New Guinea and Suez.
After that I went F.O.C. and was lucky enough to spend five more years on the Valdivia (Harrisons Clyde) before my last trip on an Israeli-owned shambles when I walked off after three weeks.
Then, courtesy of a couple of well-paying insurance policies, I took several years off whilst I was still young enough, then worked for a local communications company programming mobile radios.

Now thoroughly enjoying retirement researching the old shipping companies. I never realised just how many there were - literally thousands - and that's just the UK!

Bryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
A few pictures from Phase 3 at Riversdale, 1972-1973, the last one was taken at Lawson Park in Phase 1.
Sky Building Plant Cloud Window
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Smile
Wheel Tire Car Smile Land vehicle
Building Window Mass production Engineering Factory
Smile Shirt Facial expression Vertebrate Muscle

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for posting a great set of photos. I did Phase 3 in 1966-67, when the workshop was still setting up. During that time, we took delivery of a 3-drum Yarrow boiler, which came from a Navy survey ship. The plan was always to steam it and run machinery. Did this ever happen?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you for posting a great set of photos. I did Phase 3 in 1966-67, when the workshop was still setting up. During that time, we took delivery of a 3-drum Yarrow boiler, which came from a Navy survey ship. The plan was always to steam it and run machinery. Did this ever happen?
Sure did! Did my 3rd phase there,shared cunard flat with Paul swindlehurst and Ian Armstrong,magical time of my life.Anyway back to the chainblocks,we flashed aforementioned blr and ran the triple expansion engine and had enough magic mist to gently spin the T/A,quite a good setup really with the cooling tanks as a source of condensing water.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sure did! Did my 3rd phase there,shared cunard flat with Paul swindlehurst and Ian Armstrong,magical time of my life.Anyway back to the chainblocks,we flashed aforementioned blr and ran the triple expansion engine and had enough magic mist to gently spin the T/A,quite a good setup really with the cooling tanks as a source of condensing water.
Road
Great. The T/A was there in '66, but the triple expansion later. I guess that the large, classic, Weir recip feed pump was pressed into service too. I was with EDs and lodged, for Ph 3, in Alma Road, off Mersey Road (Alan Campion was the Cunard rep there) after Ph1 in River House. A magical time indeed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cornish, We stayed at 10, horringford Road Aigburth, us guys upstairs and our lovely landlady miss Anne Dowde downstairs. The privet hedges along that street had a fair few dents in them after our nights in town.

181 - 190 of 190 Posts