Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 60 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hello M29 alan
Yes i remember you quite well, think you wereabout 6 or 9 months ahead of
of me at Riversdale, you probably with Simon Tudor-Jones class (RIP). Yes remember all those lecturers name as well but what about Gerry Ludden he very good in my mind and Johnny Halton too.
I stayed on for 1st class and radar thats maybe why we left around same time, me in june 67. Happy days indeed alan. 73's de ftf

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting.
When got to Riversdale in 1973 the Kingsman was already there and the Aigburth Arms was just off Elmswood road. Happy memories of both really.
Oh! And we were still drinking Brown&Bitter! Gallons of it.
Maybe you're thinking of 'The Kinsman' which was at the top of Beechwood Place (opposite Greasy Annies) - as opposed to The Kingsman?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Riversdale College

My friends flood of memories come back to me when I read about this college. I was their in 77 and comuted every day from St Helens on the train. Whilst I was their sanctions where in place on the teaching front so you could expect not to have any lessons till late afternoon, this being the case it was the norm to visit the Sportsman in St Johns precinct and on to the Hoffbrau house to watch the dancers and sup stynes. by the time you got back to lesson if capable it went by in a blur. still passed though. later after coming ashore I was working for a stevedore firm in Goole and whilst also being the companies trainer I met up with an External verifier for the qualification I was deliverring who on checking my CV was only a senior principal at Riversdale during my time their. So we spent most of that visit reliving the past. I also remember Ivor Thornton (get in the Barrell) doing Rule of the Road. Going away to Conniston for the week or weekend to Lawson House and spending many an evening in the Ship inn in Conniston supping Hartleys. Yes good times. What about the Chinese chippy for spring roles, where he would shout as you entered the door 'Wha you want'!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Riversdale revisited

All those memories flood back now as I read all the "posts" on the " Aiggie".
Sad to know its gone, as I guess is "riversdale house" the old B.F. hostal were i first stayed in 1961 before all the expansions started. The Aiggie and the pies over the road are good memories as were the girls from the teaching college who had such grand accom. !
Had planned to revisit all that area on day on a trip back to the U.K. but will now strike that one off the "bucket list".
Thanks to all for the postings and good to see the odd AH man about from my time.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
All those memories flood back now as I read all the "posts" on the " Aiggie".
Sad to know its gone, as I guess is "riversdale house" the old B.F. hostal were i first stayed in 1961 before all the expansions started. The Aiggie and the pies over the road are good memories as were the girls from the teaching college who had such grand accom. !
Had planned to revisit all that area on day on a trip back to the U.K. but will now strike that one off the "bucket list".
Thanks to all for the postings and good to see the odd AH man about from my time.
Paddy the pies were terrible !! Could not get a real meat pie ( Scotch Pie ) just the meat and potatoe version with very little meat > We used ( 3of us ) buy a fresh loaf of bread ; cut in in three and then get a shilling of chips ( split in 3 ) and stuff them into the loaf . A real "Chip Buttie " If we were flush we could get some Margarine to lubricate the mess!

Not very norishing but kept the hunger pangs at bay . This allowed us to have a brown ale or 1/2 pint at lunch for at least 3 days of the week before pay on a friday .

The Riversdale meals in the canteen were quite good but a bit expensive ! Aiggie and a chip buttie was the order of the day .

Happy Days Derek

·
Registered
169 Posts
Riversdale Tech

The best was a Brown mix. A newcastle bottle of brown over a bitter.

Do any of you remember the tale of two middies going through the wall of the house opposite the cricket Club.
In a Hilmam Imp?
We where both stone sober that thursday night even being at the Blue Angle as well.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hello M29 alan
Yes i remember you quite well, think you wereabout 6 or 9 months ahead of
of me at Riversdale, you probably with Simon Tudor-Jones class (RIP). Yes remember all those lecturers name as well but what about Gerry Ludden he very good in my mind and Johnny Halton too.
I stayed on for 1st class and radar thats maybe why we left around same time, me in june 67. Happy days indeed alan. 73's de ftf
Freddy
thanks for reply, yes Halton was the "erm" man.
Yes, I was with Simon Tudor Jones, Jim Laughlin, Richard Walton etc.
Gerry Ludden came from a private radio school that closed down and yes, he was good, especially on radio circuits.
Jim Laughlin went into lecturing, Richard Walton joined Marconi depot in Liverpool.
All the best
Alan

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Richard Walton transferred from Liverpool to Marconi's Chelmsford office and worked for me for a while. Moved to the department dealing with offshore comms and the last I heard was working for Shell offshore in the Shetlands. That was probably 20 years ago.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did Phase 3 Engineer @ Riversdale back in 82/83 and lived in the newer single cabin accommodation next to the original "Aulis" house of Ocean Fleets, although we still used the dining hall attached at the rear of the houses.Phase 1 & 2 cadets lived in the tower block towards the back end of the site
The Kinsman Pub was still the college local and the beer was truly terrible, thank god for the off licence over the road which sold draught beers / wines / spirits.
The young ladies of IM Marsh and others were still as predatory, cheered us on playing rugby at the Oydessey Club next door and played a mean game of hockey.
I had reason to go back to Liverpool recently with work, the old college site & Halls are now fashionable riverside mews houses, however the old Ocean Sports Club ( the Oydessey) is now a sports club.
The Swan in Wood St is still going - it was like a time warp going back, and rumour has it that the Cabin Club is still open, but the old Royal Infirmary Nurses Home is now a car park.
Happy Days(Jester)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Freddy
thanks for reply, yes Halton was the "erm" man.
Yes, I was with Simon Tudor Jones, Jim Laughlin, Richard Walton etc.
Gerry Ludden came from a private radio school that closed down and yes, he was good, especially on radio circuits.
Jim Laughlin went into lecturing, Richard Walton joined Marconi depot in Liverpool.
All the best
Alan

RIP Simon Tudor-Jones. Worked with him on RFA Black Rover, he 2 R/O, gunnery officer, also known as DWARFO - and anyone who knew Simon will know that he was vertically challenged!! Nice guy, sad to hear his loss.

I was at Riversdale 85-88. First year at Riversdale Rd. after that ended up in the city centre in temporary place until the radio section could be set up in Mabel Fletcher college in Old Swan. Madness!

Jim Loughlin is a friend, know him and his family well. My uncle used to be a priest at his church but unfortunately lost contact with him when we moved down to NZ 2 years ago. I know he was working for the RIS down in the midlands last I heard of him.

Happy memories of the place, Gordon Andrews, Willie Williamson to name a few, and Jim of course.

All the best to ex-Riversdale people.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was at Riversdale from 64-66 and remember the Eggie well. The beer (Walkers of Warrington) was pretty foul and most people seemed to drink it half and half with a bottle of Brown Peter (also awful tack!). My digs were in Alma Road. I made a nostalgic trip back about fifteen years ago and was disappointed to discover that the new Eggy was an ultra-modern soulless sort of place - nothing like the establishment which lost all it's tables and chairs to a pyramid on the main road one Saturday night!
I was living in digs at 144 Alma road at the same time - any connection?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was at Riversdale as BP Deck Cadet in 1980.
Stayed at Kinsman House in Beechwood road. Always remember Derek on the tannoy, "good morning its 0h seven thirty hundred hours"
And whenever an external call came through to the common room it would be announced on the tannoy, great sport getting him to announce " phone call common room Marc Bolan, etc etc".....
I remember the lunchtime orals with the legendary Ivor Rutherford, your turn in the barrel boy. sound one short blast on the ships whistle alter course to starboard and pass round the stern... he got me through those dreaded orals.
Few names I remember Alex Wetton, Dick Biscombe, Ian Starkie, Ian "bones" from RFA" John kennedy, Farhad Cheoum Kherabadi,a foreign Cadet I think, Miss Jones, Tim Leary, Craig (Bo) Story,

great to hear from anyone around that era.
I have photographs which I will post
Best reagards
David

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was at Riversdale about 1975-76 I think, on 1st year of OND marine engineers course. I was a trainee engineer cadet with Bibby Line, but I only stayed about 6 months - home sick (I was only 16 and not from a seafaring background) - I decided engineering wasn't for me after all, but I have fond memories staying at Kinsman House and visiting the Aigburth Arms and a soul music club in Liverpool on a weekend. I too remember that bloke on reception who did the wake up calls on the tannoy of a morning - he sometimes got it wrong "it is now 7:30, I mean 8:30" didn't he have a slight German accent? Anyway he was a good chap, he used to leave the fire door open round the back stairs so we could get in in the early hours of a Sat/Sun morning after a night out, otherwise it was a case of throwing stones up at one of the windows as the front door was locked at around midnight. I rember a formal meal (was it Christmas?) we had in the dining room with the top table occupied by the important folk (maybe the principal of the college was there I can't remember) - anyway I want to own up to what happened after the top table had vacated - whilst the meal was on a cork fired onto our table, so I sneakily throw it over my shoulder back to where I thought it had come from, then someone else on that table throw it back onto our table (this was whilst the top table was still occupied) - the cork was going back wards and forwards for a while followed by bits of orange peel etc - when the top table had vacated fully, a barrage of brussel sprouts were fired at the table nearest the back wall - they all ducked on that table and the wall was plastered with them! I also remember when we had just moved into Kinsman House dorms us freshers were visited one night by the older students and they turned over every bed in the dorms, some with folk still in them - they got a roasting for that! I wish I could remember the names of the other Bibby Line engineer cadets in the dorm with me - there was a lad surname Taylor from Yeadon, and a lad from Sunderland who I used to go down Liverpool with on a Saturday night clubbing, and a lad from Derby (Paul?) About a year or two after I had left Bibby Line they had one of their ships go down off Japan sunk without trace and there were cadets onboard so I think what might have been if I had been unlucky enough to have been on it - I hope none of the lads I knew were on it. I'm now a boring accountant still living in Huddersfield!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Crikey - what amazing memories flood back reading these posts. I was there in 1970/71 as a deck cadet with NZSCo. My other NZS shipmates there were Carl Rolaston (Roly); Bruce Hardy; Lawrence Mowatt (Mo); Tim King; Phil Jarman; Andy Wilson; Martin McCartan (Mac); and Roger Jones (the 'Vicar').

Anyone remember me/us?

Fond memories of 'Greasy Annies'; crowding round the TV watching TOTP; and smuggling a girl or two in from IM Marsh.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be!!

Gary (Jones)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Was at Riversdale tech as trainee R/O 1965 to 1967, did all my tickets here, some good lecturers and a great crowd of Radio lads on the courses, had some great times, how time flies.Ah! the memories. I would do it all over again if i could---no regrets at all.
Derek--did you not have some "gaffer tape" to fix the piece of wood back
together or did you need a souvenir?? from the pub up the road--ha-ha.
good old days eh!! regards ftf
PS shame it has all been knocked down now and a housing estate built in place of it.
I was there same time as you but didn`t complete the course as I was commuting by public transpoprt from Southport can you imagine that in `65?and went to sea as a purser.Do you remember Eddie Murphy or John Saphier? that lecturer with west country accent,Parker and of course Mr.Teasedale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was at Riversdale between 1975 and 1978 as a deck cadet for P&O. My main memory was from the Tower block, the Engineer cadets glued to the TV on a Sunday evening watching the Muppet Show. The really awful Mild at The Kinsman, Greasy Annie's and of course the Cabin Club on Wood Street ever weekend. Happy times

41 - 60 of 196 Posts