Ships Nostalgia banner
161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
6,433 Posts
Neil,
You have rattled some cobwebs there - I too had Bond for Heat, Nobby and Kenny for Electrotech - I was there for Phase III in 83. Another guy I remember is Dandy but don't know what subject.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
In my days ; teachers were George Harwood Maths ; Lt Cmdr Kenworthy Neal
Heat Engines ; Mr Endbinder Electo tech : George Saltrese EK,s and many others
who escape me now ; but the names will come back ( brain is on dead slow ahead in fog ) Derek

·
Registered
6,433 Posts
Derek, wasn't George Saltrese a BOT examiner at some stage? He seemed to be around forever and then a day!
Rgds.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
George Saltrese

I very much doubt it . George when giving lessons would come out with amazing stories which usually ended up with him telling us he had invented the item under discussion . We had very little belief in most of his stories ; however they were entertaining . Derek

·
Registered
1 Posts
Long Time ago

I think that Jim Cullen might have been Jim Culkin.

Now, Riversdale Road was always full of dog **** and Jim, bless him, who was also also resident in River House, used to maintain a map showing all the latest deposits. This was fine when heading to the Aiggie, but a bit (s)hit and miss on the way back to River House.
Hi Greg,

I am replying to your post of 3 years ago so this may not reach you, I hope it does.

I found this site when searching the Net after a recent visit to Liverpool. Good to see that Mike G and Pete Gil are in touch.

Some more names I remember from River House are Bob Mathews, Ray Roberts, Barry Maynard, Teddy Finn and Alan Kevan. From Ferdie’s year I remember Bob Smith and a guy called Fothergill. Alan and I did degrees at Liverpool Poly and I am still in touch with Alan. He lives in Bolton and I live near Market Harborough in Leicestershire.

I have a very, very, very vague memory that I may have produced a dog s**t map but I will proudly take the credit anyway. Of course, It would be different if I had a reputation to loose.

Hope this reaches you, best wishes Jim C.

·
Registered
20 Posts
An age before time, even

Hi Jim,

Yes, it reached me just fine; good to hear from you.

I was in Liverpool on Saturday (17/11/18) and, after June's Calder College reunion lunch, we visited Paddy's Wigwam, where I wondered where both you and Ted Finn may have ended up.

I left EDs in 1970, having sailed as 3rd on Pegu, and went to Sheffield Poly for my degree. Every job bar one since then had something to do with either ships or the sea, although, whilst in the one that didn't, I did design the hydraulic cylinder that operates Peterhead Harbour bridge.

Bob Matthews came from Chester and I was there a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't recall his surname. Yes, I've reached the point in life where I keep losing my place in the script. Mind you, there's still a lot of EDs, of which I have many fine memories.

Best regards,

Gregor

Hi Greg,

I am replying to your post of 3 years ago so this may not reach you, I hope it does.

I found this site when searching the Net after a recent visit to Liverpool. Good to see that Mike G and Pete Gil are in touch.

Some more names I remember from River House are Bob Mathews, Ray Roberts, Barry Maynard, Teddy Finn and Alan Kevan. From Ferdie’s year I remember Bob Smith and a guy called Fothergill. Alan and I did degrees at Liverpool Poly and I am still in touch with Alan. He lives in Bolton and I live near Market Harborough in Leicestershire.

I have a very, very, very vague memory that I may have produced a dog s**t map but I will proudly take the credit anyway. Of course, It would be different if I had a reputation to loose.

Hope this reaches you, best wishes Jim C.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Derek, wasn't George Saltrese a BOT examiner at some stage? He seemed to be around forever and then a day!
Rgds.
Dave
I took up Judo in mid 60s in Liverpool,a George Saltrese was a well known Black Belt instructor at the time. Would it be the same person?.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Riversdale & Kinsman House

I was at Riversdale 1970-74 marine engineering. I remember George Saltrese being a Judo expert and he was kicking on in age back then.

·
Registered
6,433 Posts
Maybe that is where I remember GS from, judo! I shall have to ask my Dad when I next talk to him.
Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
170 Posts
Riversdale 1970 - 73

I was at Riversdale in 1970,71,72 as a Radio Officer student so didn't mix too much with the non-R/Os. I wonder if any ex-Riversdale R/Os are reading this?
Hello Steve - I should probably remember you as I was a Marine Radio Student at Riversdale 1970-73. I lived in Kinsman House (the Tower Block Hostel , 6th floor) all of that time.

Managed to pass my MPT and City & Guilds and got a job with Marconi. Had my interview in Pall Mall, Liverpool alongside Pete Barnard who had been in the other radio class but also lived in the hostel.

I stayed with Marconi until I was made redundant in 1986 and now live in Aberystwyth, Mid Wales which was where I came from originally.

All the best

john Davies ( aka Ivortheengine)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi at Riversdale for phase 1 engineering 84-86 then back in 88 for phase 3. Only girlie doing engineering at the time. Does anyone remember Mr Christian? Can't remember the tutors name that took machine shop who's pride and joy was his Morgan. Good days.

·
Registered
6,433 Posts
Hi at Riversdale for phase 1 engineering 84-86 then back in 88 for phase 3. Only girlie doing engineering at the time. Does anyone remember Mr Christian? Can't remember the tutors name that took machine shop who's pride and joy was his Morgan. Good days.
Nobby Christian, remember him well! I did phase 3 in 1983 at Riversdale. We were told that pumps/hydraulics never came up. We did not study hydraulics. They did! All 18 of us in Ocean Fleets had to repeat our exams. I am very au fait still with pumps.
Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
6,433 Posts
George Saltrese

Maybe that is where I remember GS from, judo! I shall have to ask my Dad when I next talk to him.
Rgds.
Dave
Well,

Talking with my Dad, I got chapter and verse on George Saltrese.

Apparently, he was a bit of a mystery man. He went to sea with Blue Funnel. He was a master of Ju Jitsu and Judo and was on the Welsh Judo Board. According to my Dad, George was a very underrated Dan belt.

His main interest was Mu Shin, the empty mind. The symbol in Chinese is a simple circle in a broad black ink brush stroke. Mu Shin is the concentration of the mind to produce nothing. It can be used as a defence/weapon in very precarious situations. The eyes take on a glassy, dead appearance, the person has no thoughts and become almost hollow, a sort of "living dead". The whole point being, where does the mind/soul go when someone goes Mu Shin? George was very coy on the subject and would allude to time/space travel!

He was also a master of Shiatsu, the manipulation of nerves, making people unconscious/dead and bringing them back. Now a lost/black art in modern Judo.

One day, he turned up, out of the blue, at a Judo grading. he got talking to my Dad and asked him to help organize a Shiatsu course. This, they duly did. George's fee was only petrol money from his home in North Wales.

George set up the Shiatsu Association as head and my Dad became Secretary. However, before it took off, George had a car accident. Although he survived unscathed, according to him because he went Mu Lin a split second before the impact, age took its toll and he passed away.

He left all his papers and writings to my Dad, but Jimmy Griffiths of the Poulton Victoria Judo Club, who was a big mate of George, picked the papers up from George's wife to "give to my Dad". Nuff' said, Jimmy too died and the papers were forever lost.

George shared the same birthday as my Dad. George was "on the square", Woodchurch Lodge.

Apparently (although, looking at the dates, Dad may be confused) George was the leader of the recovery of the HMSm "Thetis" and his photograph featured, aboard the rescue tug, sporting a sidearm in the Liverpool Echo. My Dad has been forever moved by Thetis and the needless loss of life due to burocratic wrangling at the Admiralty.

So there you have it. A little bit of history/nostalgia about a man who created an impression on his students for his love of Marine Engineering and his masterpieces in chalk on a simple blackboard, never to last beyond the end of the class!

RIP - George Saltrese, wherever Mu Lin might have eventually taken you!

Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Response to Keith Ideson (April 2018). We wee on the same valses on Phase 1 1970-72 & I think Phase 3 in 73/74. Thinking it will be 50 years since we started in September 2020. Are you in touch with anyone else from our year?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Phase 3

Response to Keith Ideson (April 2018). We wee on the same valses on Phase 1 1970-72 & I think Phase 3 in 73/74. Thinking it will be 50 years since we started in September 2020. Are you in touch with anyone else from our year?
John
Beleive we were under the same roof with Peveril Walsh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi John, good to hear from you. You are correct we shared a flat in Hunts Cross with Bob Dixon, Pev Walsh, you & me. I’m still in contact with Pev but haven’t seen or heard of Bob since we left in Summer 74. How are you, where are you & what happened to you after Riversdale?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi John, good to hear from you. You are correct we shared a flat in Hunts Cross with Bob Dixon, Pev Walsh, you & me. I’m still in contact with Pev but haven’t seen or heard of Bob since we left in Summer 74. How are you, where are you & what happened to you after Riversdale?
Sailed with Houlders till 1979 got my 2rd ticket and part A chief’s last job with them was 3rd when I decided to leave they offered me 2nd job but turned it down and left to work ashore . Still live in France in the auvergne region. Have 3 children and am retired since 2015 was in sales and purchasing most of my working year’s changed job’s frequently like on board once you know how it works it gets boring Is Peveril still with Hilary ? I remember leaving Hunts cross before you did the landlord get upset remember the flat was in a bit of a state there was a hole in the side of the fridge? we are all confined in France with this virus that why I opened up nostalgia Well thats the latest great to hear from you Didn’t you live north of Liverpool?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sailed with Houlders till 1979 got my 2rd ticket and part A chief’s last job with them was 3rd when I decided to leave they offered me 2nd job but turned it down and left to work ashore . Still live in France in the auvergne region. Have 3 children and am retired since 2015 was in sales and purchasing most of my working year’s changed job’s frequently like on board once you know how it works it gets boring Is Peveril still with Hilary ? I remember leaving Hunts cross before you did the landlord get upset remember the flat was in a bit of a state there was a hole in the side of the fridge? we are all confined in France with this virus that why I opened up nostalgia Well thats the latest great to hear from you Didn’t you live north of Liverpool?

Left Fyffes 1 trip after Riversdale & joined Shaw Saville. They were amalgamated into Furness General Shipping & I stayed with them until I joined Houlder Marine Drilling in 1982, shortly after getting my Chiefs ticket. Worked in Oil & Gas Exploration & Production (offshore/onshore) for the rest of my career & retired 3 years ago. Maggie & I have been married 40 years this year, we have two married sons & 1 Granddaughter. We live on the Fylde Coast in Lancashire.
Are you in touch with anyone else from Riversdale days?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi John
Have sent two previous messages and for some reason they been ditched
So you were part of the John Houlder team on the rigs
Sailed with a few guys that went on the rigs ( dry boats)
PEV sent me some photos from Windermere Christ I had long hair a few months later the French navy cut then short ��
When you were with SS did you know Ian Rogers and Paul Holmes ?
Well I’ll cut off and see if this message gets throu
Take care

161 - 180 of 190 Posts