Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I was looking for information on the Roysterer and Rollicker today on Google and found this site. It was the Roysterer that went down in the Indian Ocean but I'm not sure what year. The Rollicker was scrapped in 2006, information on that I found on Sea Web.

My Grandad was Master of both Rollicker and Roysterer, the Roysterer being his last ship which he retired on in 1981. I can remember going onboard in Portland in around 1978 when I was 3. He was also Master of the Typhoon and Envoy and was out in Singapore on the Typhoon.

I have met a few people who sailed with him, and one Plymouth taxi driver who sailed with him (I think as Radio Officer or 2nd Mate) said that he was known as drag em under Dunkley as the Roysterer once had a tow overturn in the Bay of Biscay? Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
R Class

You might like to know that the ROBUST is currently up for sale in Florida (can't recall the website) as a pleasure vessel or motor yacht! She has been completely cleared of all asbestos and is 'sound' by American standards. Given that the R class rolled on a wet tissue then I'm not sure I would buy it as a pleasure craft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, As a kid back in the late 60s early 70s I remember seeing these tugs being dragged down the river Hull from Beverley, at the time they looked massive and they could only float them down on high tide so it took quite a few days to get them down the river for fitting out . Our house backed on to the river Hull so over the years saw quite a lot of shipping heading for the fitters yard.But the three tugs I will always remember.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was 2nd engineer on Rollicker at the Falklands in 1982 and the last Chief engineer on Roysterer and Robust. Good vessels but uncomforatble in bad weather.,

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Sam,
Sorry I can't find your tug site.
The side numbers for the three sisterships are:
RMAS Roysterer (A361)
RMAS Rollicker (A502)
RMAS Robust (A366)
The site you have found evidently shows Robust and another of her sisters.
Can you try going back to your site sometime and carefully copy its address.
Cheers and well done, (Thumb)
The side numbers you refer to are actually called pennant numbers.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Admiralty Tugs Deep Sea

In the 60's or 70's I am not sure whether again it was on the tyne or on the humber: There where 3 new deep sea tugs built for the admiralty, and | wonder if they are still around.
RollicKer, Rollister and ??? Nmaes escape me precisely??? Buit at Clelands/ on the Tyne or at Hessle on the Humber.(Flowers)(ballet)

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
In the 60's or 70's I am not sure whether again it was on the tyne or on the humber: There where 3 new deep sea tugs built for the admiralty, and | wonder if they are still around.
RollicKer, Rollister and ??? Nmaes escape me precisely??? Buit at Clelands/ on the Tyne or at Hessle on the Humber.(Flowers)(ballet)
C.D.Holmes,Beaverly.
ROYSTERER'72,r/nAMLOESE'96
ROLLICKER'73,r/n JOSEPH BROWN,AL FAHD,FAHD,b/u Alang,7.3.06
ROBUST'74

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
the last i heard of the r class was that one had sunk , one had been scrapped , and one was up for sale abroad.never sailed on them myself as there wasnt one based at rosyth.one was based on the west coast of scotland and the other two were down south.they were not the most comfortable vessels in rough seas apparently.i always thought they looked massive but originaly they were supposed to be longer than they were.think the original design was chopped by a good few metres.G.R.T.-1036 tons.Dimensions-54m x 12m x 6m.Speed-15 knots.no doubt someone on here will have more info david.thats all i know.cheers.ROO

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Rollicker

Was sold and became joseph brown and was sent to tow jupiter and hermione to the breakers which took an epic 6 months due to various issues the tug broke down out in the solent with 2 leanders being toqed side by side mod refused to let them back into portsmouth so they went into southampton to effect repairs.
Moving on joseph brown was sold and re named Al fahd and scrapped at alang 2006

41 - 53 of 53 Posts