Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another gratuitious "found this whilst researching something else" newspaper clipping:

R.M.S. BERENGARIA arriving at South Shields for breaking up 8 December 1938 from "The Shields Gazette"... I am starting my project on DOMINION MONARCH and what a pleasure to "do" a Tyneside-built ship if only for the wonderful newspapers of the area which recorded practically every phase of their construction back when ships were the lifeblood of these places.

Anyway, a rather sad photo of a once great ship going to her reward. In another year, she'd been worth her weight in gold.

Peter Kohler

Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Vehicle Royal mail ship

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worth her weight in gold? 50/50 chance she could have sunk with ten thousand troops.

Old and tired out by 1940... too risky.

Stephen
Oh I don't know about that... we tend to think of the Ballin Trio as lumbering and old before their time but speed-wise, they remained among the fastest ships of the inter-war era. BERENGARIA, too, was structurally a lot stronger than her sisters, not having the divided uptakes. Her biggest flaw, like so many German liners, was her wiring. But if AQUITANIA, EMPRESS OF ASIA and EMPRESS OF RUSSIA could serve in their second world war, why so could have BERENGARIA!

Peter Kohler

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
The my point is that sooner or later, these large transports could be sunk. No matter how well built or maintained they were. The 'risk' was not the seaworthy condition. People probably do not even think about EMPRESS OF BRITAIN. She was lost some 45 in the sinking. The crew and pax on board was only 643. Had she been carrying 8,000 it would have been a disaster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The interiors of the trio were designed by the same English interior design firm that designed the RAC. The swimming pool of the RAC is karger but almost identtical even down to the tiles on the pillars. Similarly other rooms including the main bar. So the trio lives on in a strange sort of way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts