Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm writing on behalf of my grandfather, Dr Alexander Harper. He served as RMS Caledonia's doctor between 1960-1963. We have read through several crew member and passenger's accounts which have brought back many fond memories. Many accounts would indicate my grandfather sailed with said crew members and passengers.

He would have been 24 when he joined the Merchant Navy and will be 88 this July. He joined the Merchant Navy on the 25th February 1960 and sailed around four times a year from Glasgow to Bombay, picking up passengers from Birkenhead en route. He still has his seamen's record book, including certificates of discharge, detailing a Captain Blair, Captain Gibson.

If anyone has any information or recollection of these dates, or even my Grandfather, would you please be able to reach out. :)

Best,
Sarah Harper

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I'm writing on behalf of my grandfather, Dr Alexander Harper. He served as RMS Caledonia's doctor between 1960-1963. We have read through several crew member and passenger's accounts which have brought back many fond memories. Many accounts would indicate my grandfather sailed with said crew members and passengers.

He would have been 24 when he joined the Merchant Navy and will be 88 this July. He joined the Merchant Navy on the 25th February 1960 and sailed around four times a year from Glasgow to Bombay, picking up passengers from Birkenhead en route. He still has his seamen's record book, including certificates of discharge, detailing a Captain Blair, Captain Gibson.

If anyone has any information or recollection of these dates, or even my Grandfather, would you please be able to reach out. :)

Best,
Sarah Harper
Hello,

Best,
Sarah Harper
Sarah - Noted your Grandfather’s Voyage Details - was he only on RMS Caledonia throughout or did he also sail on Cilicia or Circassia ? - these are the two vessels I sailed on over that period - I am sure there will be a reply from an ex Caledonia Crew Member. His name does come to mind and have an idea he also sailed on the above sister vessels at some point.
Bob Logan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sarah - Noted your Grandfather’s Voyage Details - was he only on RMS Caledonia throughout or did he also sail on Cilicia or Circassia ? - these are the two vessels I sailed on over that period - I am sure there will be a reply from an ex Caledonia Crew Member. His name does come to mind and have an idea he also sailed on the above sister vessels at some point.
Bob Logan.
Hi Bob,
He only sailed on the Caledonia. It appears there are a lot more fellow former Caledonia, Cilicia and Circassia Crew Members on here than we anticipated! Thank you very much for getting back to us. :)
Best,
Sarah Harper

·
Registered
18,939 Posts
Your Grandad may not have been all that pleased to see the end of "Caledonia" - alongside as a floating doss house in the late '60s during the hippy invasion of Amsterdam.

John T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts