Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original version of this post was in the Ship Research Forum (WW1 RN Ship's boats), it was suggested that a better location might be the Royal Navy Forum.
The initial post has been answered to my complete satisfaction. So, this is a modified version of the original.

Is there anywhere where a complete list, and descriptions, of the ship's boats used by RN warships during the early 20th Century can be viewed?

·
Premium Member
11,610 Posts
The original version of this post was in the Ship Research Forum (WW1 RN Ship's boats), it was suggested that a better location might be the Royal Navy Forum.
The initial post has been answered to my complete satisfaction. So, this is a modified version of the original.

Is there anywhere where a complete list, and descriptions, of the ship's boats used by RN warships during the early 20th Century can be viewed?

Ian,

The boats I mentioned in the other post were the 'standard' boats used by RN ships. The 'whaler' is one of the most common used. All of these are basically way back from the 1800s up until the 1970s! The whaler was two versions, a 27 ft and a 31ft. There is a 32ft cutter.

The capital ships in the early 90s would have all kinds of boats as well as barges and pinnaces.

I'll have to to dig out my WW1 Admiralty Manual if Seamanship. :)

Stephen

·
Premium Member
11,610 Posts
One steam pinnace still afloat!

Search the National Maritime Royal Naval Museum, Portsmouth.

You never know, they might have a small book of the vessels that were used by the RN.

Stephen

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, as I understand it the steam pinnace was often a midshipman's first taste of command.

Somewhere I have seen a cartoon of a very proud middie standing alongside a wary and worldwise cox'n.

·
Premium Member
11,610 Posts
Yes, as I understand it the steam pinnace was often a midshipman's first taste of command.

Somewhere I have seen a cartoon of a very proud middie standing alongside a wary and worldwise cox'n.
Had to be good at it or the Captain would not be happy! The pinnaces were for the captains on the larger ships and the higher the rank, the bigger the boat.

Stephen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts