Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 75th anniversary was celebrated this weekend in Auckland harbor some 24 vessels from around the world joined in the celebrations.
Unfortunately HMNZS Canterbury and HMNZS Te Mana were despatched to provide aid to earthquake stricken Kaikoura on the East Coast of the South Island, which was cut off due to destruction of road and rail links. The Singapore Navy also sent the RSS Resolution to assist, and assist in the evacuation of some 1,500 tourists, and some of the 2,000 Kaikoura inhabitants.
The Sail past in Auckland proceeded with out these vessels, and hope fully some one has some photos of the vessels that took part, HMAS Dechaineaux, HMCS Vancouver, USS Sampson, CNS Yangcheng, HMAS Darwin, ROKS Chungbuk, INS Sumitra, the Japanaese destroyer Takanami, and several ships from other Pacific nations.
The RN was represented by the First Sea Lord, but was unable to send a ship.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bet he was a tad embarrassed. At least, I hope he was.
I doubt many people saw him, it was all about the ships. RNZN has just announced another OPV, and a vessel very similar to RFA Diligence, they as well as the new tanker due next year, will be delivered by 2020.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The 75th anniversary was celebrated this weekend in Auckland harbor some 24 vessels from around the world joined in the celebrations.
Unfortunately HMNZS Canterbury and HMNZS Te Mana were despatched to provide aid to earthquake stricken Kaikoura on the East Coast of the South Island, which was cut off due to destruction of road and rail links. The Singapore Navy also sent the RSS Resolution to assist, and assist in the evacuation of some 1,500 tourists, and some of the 2,000 Kaikoura inhabitants.
The Sail past in Auckland proceeded with out these vessels, and hope fully some one has some photos of the vessels that took part, HMAS Dechaineaux, HMCS Vancouver, USS Sampson, CNS Yangcheng, HMAS Darwin, ROKS Chungbuk, INS Sumitra, the Japanaese destroyer Takanami, and several ships from other Pacific nations.
The RN was represented by the First Sea Lord, but was unable to send a ship.
they sent the royal marine band though

1 - 4 of 4 Posts