Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am assuming these were all Ropner managed ships, apologies if I have this wrong. I kept hold of a fleet movement page when I was Radio Officer on the Besseggen and thought the lists of personnel on the Besseggen and the other ships on the page might jog peoples memories of others they sailed with.
Incidentally if you are on the Besseggen list please say hello,
Regards,
John

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Have you got the answers to the quiz?

Would be keen to know all the answers.

BW

J:cool::cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you got the answers to the quiz?

Would be keen to know all the answers.

BW

J:cool::cool:
Sadly as I worked for Marconi and not Ropners I never got to see the next edition of the booklet which had the answers in it, I have however googled the questions and found answers to all but one of the questions and will attach them rather that put here as that would ruin the fun wouldn't it. If you do find out the answer to the one I couldn't find please be sure to let me know ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I was with Ropners roughly `79-`82, & by that time they were not managing any vessels other than there own, & certainly never saw a fleet movements sheet.

Q7, Have been led to believe that the poinsettia was a Christmas flower, but open to other offers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was with Ropners roughly `79-`82, & by that time they were not managing any vessels other than there own, & certainly never saw a fleet movements sheet.

Q7, Have been led to believe that the poinsettia was a Christmas flower, but open to other offers.
I was thinking that too, although I've never had too much luck with Poinsettias blooming on Christmas Day ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
The Besseggen and Rondeggen made regular stops at Astoria (Oregon) from around 1963 to 1976, replaced by the Trolleggen (which had been chartered by a Greek company until then), they didn't return until 1983 as Venezeulan ships.
There are a few photos in my gallery.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you will find that the ships were owned / managed by Huntings of Newcastle.
Tony,
Thanks for the correction, as I did say I wasn’t sure, I assumed Ropner as my previous two ships had been managed by them, the stamp in my discharge book just had an owners stamp rather than management.
Thanks again,
Regards,
John

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Besseggen and Rondeggen made regular stops at Astoria (Oregon) from around 1963 to 1976, replaced by the Trolleggen (which had been chartered by a Greek company until then), they didn't return until 1983 as Venezeulan ships.
There are a few photos in my gallery.
Hi Eric,
Are you saying the Besseggen used to call at Astoria until 1976 but didn’t after that, that makes sense as we never called there when I was onboard. We travelled between California and mainly Vancouver Island,
Regards,
John

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
Hi Eric,
Are you saying the Besseggen used to call at Astoria until 1976 but didn’t after that, that makes sense as we never called there when I was onboard. We travelled between California and mainly Vancouver Island,
Regards,
John
Yes, both the Besseggen and Rondeggen ran from British Columbia with paper or ground pulp to Astoria and San Francisco, with occasional stops in Eureka. The crews were usually Norwegian, with the odd Canadian or two. They were built identically, with a slightly different Trolleggen, which was being used by a Greek company, and the Norwegians were not amused when they re-took possession, as they had different standards of ship maintenance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, both the Besseggen and Rondeggen ran from British Columbia with paper or ground pulp to Astoria and San Francisco, with occasional stops in Eureka. The crews were usually Norwegian, with the odd Canadian or two. They were built identically, with a slightly different Trolleggen, which was being used by a Greek company, and the Norwegians were not amused when they re-took possession, as they had different standards of ship maintenance.
Eric,
I didn't know any of this but certainly when I sailed on the Besseggen from Sept 1978 to March 1979 the Officers were all British, I can't remember the nationality of the crew, and we shipped timber between ports on Vancouver Island, Ocean Falls or New Westminster to California.
The only photo I have of the complete ship was taken by my cousin when we were leaving San Francisco (below)

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
Eric,
I didn't know any of this but certainly when I sailed on the Besseggen from Sept 1978 to March 1979 the Officers were all British, I can't remember the nationality of the crew, and we shipped timber between ports on Vancouver Island, Ocean Falls or New Westminster to California.
The only photo I have of the complete ship was taken by my cousin when we were leaving San Francisco (below)
View attachment 686762
Officers and engineers were all Norwegian, too.

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts

Photos on board the Rondeggen, March 25, 1969.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was Radio Officer on the Lake Atlin, a Canadian ship, in 1957. She was managed by Ropner. Canadian captain, rest of the officers and crew were English.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I recall seeing the Besseggen and Rondeggen often in San Francisco and Captain John Wilson was their contracted docking master/pilot. In the 1970's they would berth at Pier 48 south of the Ferry Building just across from where the San Francisco Giants play baseball today. To the best of my knowledge the officers were Norwegian as Eric states. If memory serves correctly, I believe I may have docked one of them at Pier 48 one time.
As a very young midshipman, I boarded the Rondeggen (different ship than those in the photos) at Pier 45 in San Francisco. I recall the Norwegian Captain showing me how fast the rudder was which was indeed very fast from hard over to hard over.

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
I recall seeing the Besseggen and Rondeggen often in San Francisco and Captain John Wilson was their contracted docking master/pilot. In the 1970's they would berth at Pier 48 south of the Ferry Building just across from where the San Francisco Giants play baseball today. To the best of my knowledge the officers were Norwegian as Eric states. If memory serves correctly, I believe I may have docked one of them at Pier 48 one time.
As a very young midshipman, I boarded the Rondeggen (different ship than those in the photos) at Pier 45 in San Francisco. I recall the Norwegian Captain showing me how fast the rudder was which was indeed very fast from hard over to hard over.
I have a memory that may be inaccurate in this case, but I seem to remember the gantry cranes on both the Rondeggen and Besseggen were painted a medium blue. Maybe that was just the color of the primer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts