Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Hi David
I sailed on the "Ingleby" in 1955/56. Was senior apprentice.
She was the ex Ocean vengence.
Built in Richmond California May 1942
Scrapped in Taiwan 1969.
If you go to this website you can find out more info.
ww.aandc.org.
I was researching Ropnershipping and this website came up.
There was a section about the"Ocean"ships built during the war.
The covber ship "Heronspool" is as good as it gets as they were all the same.
Hope this helps
Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,934 Posts
David, She later became the "Maratha Enterprise" and I have posted a photo of her as such in the Tramp Steamers gallery which may be of interest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
I was on their Liberty ship Hurworth, master i cannot remeber,C/O was Blinky Hewson or Hughson from Hartlepool, the Third/Mate was a guy called Feather from the Whitby area the apprentices were put in with two A/B`s in the watches and were really made to work as well as doing all their studies
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,898 Posts
Ahoy David,
Did some research, and this is what came out, sorry no pic of her so far.
Name:Ocean Vengeance
Delivery date:May 1942
Shipbuilders:
Permanente Metals Corp., Richmond, California
Nom. Managers for MOWT: Raeburn & Verel Ltd.;
1946: Sir R. Ropner & Co, West Hartlepool;
History: 1947: INGLEBY, Sir R. Ropner & Co, West Hartlepool;
1960: MARATHA ENTERPRISE, Chowgule Steamships Ltd, Nassau, Bahamas;
1966: WELCOME, Welcome Shipping Co, Taiwan (Panamanian flag);
1969: Scrapped Taiwan.

The measurements of the 'Ocean' type ships was registered at 441.5' x 57'. Gross tonnage was 7,174 and deadweight was 10,500 tons. Speed was 11 knots.

Ingleby (2) 1942 7,174 Todd California Iron S.B. Corp., Richmond Ex Ocean Vengeance, 1947 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and renamed Ingleby, 1960 sold to Nassau renamed Maratha Enterprise, 1966 sold to Panama renamed Welcome, 1969 scrapped at kaohsiung
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Hi Bill

Many Thanks for this, will follow it up

David
+



******** said:
Hi David
I sailed on the "Ingleby" in 1955/56. Was senior apprentice.
She was the ex Ocean vengence.
Built in Richmond California May 1942
Scrapped in Taiwan 1969.
If you go to this website you can find out more info.
ww.aandc.org.
I was researching Ropnershipping and this website came up.
There was a section about the"Ocean"ships built during the war.
The covber ship "Heronspool" is as good as it gets as they were all the same.
Hope this helps
Bill
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Dave

Many thanks for this. Much appreciated

Dave
+




Dave Edge said:
David, She later became the "Maratha Enterprise" and I have posted a photo of her as such in the Tramp Steamers gallery which may be of interest.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi There

Many Thanks for this

Much appreciated

David
+


janbonde said:
I was on their Liberty ship Hurworth, master i cannot remeber,C/O was Blinky Hewson or Hughson from Hartlepool, the Third/Mate was a guy called Feather from the Whitby area the apprentices were put in with two A/B`s in the watches and were really made to work as well as doing all their studies
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ruud

Many Thanks for this. Much appreciated

David
+


ruud said:
Ahoy David,
Did some research, and this is what came out, sorry no pic of her so far.
Name:Ocean Vengeance
Delivery date:May 1942
Shipbuilders:
Permanente Metals Corp., Richmond, California
Nom. Managers for MOWT: Raeburn & Verel Ltd.;
1946: Sir R. Ropner & Co, West Hartlepool;
History: 1947: INGLEBY, Sir R. Ropner & Co, West Hartlepool;
1960: MARATHA ENTERPRISE, Chowgule Steamships Ltd, Nassau, Bahamas;
1966: WELCOME, Welcome Shipping Co, Taiwan (Panamanian flag);
1969: Scrapped Taiwan.

The measurements of the 'Ocean' type ships was registered at 441.5' x 57'. Gross tonnage was 7,174 and deadweight was 10,500 tons. Speed was 11 knots.

Ingleby (2) 1942 7,174 Todd California Iron S.B. Corp., Richmond Ex Ocean Vengeance, 1947 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and renamed Ingleby, 1960 sold to Nassau renamed Maratha Enterprise, 1966 sold to Panama renamed Welcome, 1969 scrapped at kaohsiung
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CQ de David

INGLEBY - I have now received a photo of the Ingleby albeit in another guise, but many thanks for all your help

David
+
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
hello,, I also sailed as cabin boy my first trip on the SWAINBY, met some great lads from the HARTLEYPOOL area this was in 1957,, if any of you are still around would be good to know how your doing the captain was called SNOW a gent, and 3 rd mate was called Terry Bowman sadly no longer with us best wishes to all on this site its great cheers Richard Palmer HULL..
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top