Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Spongebob
9,363 Posts
That needs a tune putting to it.

"Sheaf Arrow" could be a song for down the ages.
You are right Farmer but while a storm at sea demands the blare of brass , the thunderous roll of drums and the strident crash of symbols I feel that the ship's name invokes a more pastroral theme to my mind.
The Sheaf could be the gatherings of crops of wheat, corn , or even tropical sugar cane carefully woven to form a warm love nest beneath the twinkling stars , the Damsel, a sylphe like figure clad only in the figment of one's imagination and the Arrow could be plucked from Cupids hand upon his bow or from a lover's trousers .
We should not mention that serpent from The Garden of Eden.
Beyond this theme my words are deadened by a early dawn down under and perhaps Barrie might bring the sweet lyrics to enliven the scene

Bob

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Although built in 1964, the bridge and navigating officers' accommodation of the 63,000 dwt tanker ss "Regent Pembroke" was amid-ships. The saloon and galley and the rest of the ship's complement were located in the aft accommodation. So for the mates and me (the R/O) all meals necessitated a trip aft, across the main deck (there was no 'flying bridge' provided) which was only protected from the sea by rails, not bulwarks. Not a lot of protection against breaking waves in heavy weather when we were fully loaded running around the Cape of Good Hope from the Gulf to Trinidad.

The designers (and the owners) had thoughtfully provided an alternative route to be used in such situations - a tunnel below the deck, running along the port side between the aft accommodation block and the centre-castle. This was accessed via vertical metal ladders at each end and was shared with various pipelines, steamlines, cable-runs and the like. It was hot, filthy and not at all "friendly" to uniforms, especially whites.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
The Shell Bitumen carrier 'Partula' was midships for the Mates and me - R/O. After leaving Curacao for Dublin, we encountered a hurricane - or a bit of it - and were running just ahead it it. The Capt told his steward to collect as much food and sandwiches as he could muster for two or three days, and banned us absolutely from going aft for meals. His Steward enjoyed the owners suite for a few days. The main deck was awash for most of the time, and when we arrived in Dublin, All the Shell Super could say was 'the decks are looking a bit rusty Mr Mate' !!!

David
+

·
Registered
71 Posts
From the Gordon Lightfoot song “The wreck of the Edmund Fitzegerald” are the lines:

When suppertime came, the old cook came on deck
Saying, "Fellas, it's too rough to feed ya."

21 - 24 of 24 Posts