Ships Nostalgia banner

361 - 380 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
As for Clive Stevens, I loved Clive, but I bet you never had a useable pair of gloves/Gauntlets when he was around, Jesus, he was a hard case, he used Swarfega as lubricant!!!!! Hey, Alex, we are all old ****ers now, Happy days, wouldn't have changed a thing!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi WINMAR I can't see your name so I am not sure where we sailed together. That's a lot of names you mention and I think as far as the Captains go I sailed with nearly all of them, that list triggers a lot of memories. Of the Cadets in the first year I have only met Mike Kerr since, he was a Marine Superintendent, with James Fishers, I was a Technical Manager at the Company for a year in James Fisher Defence, but me and my team provided technical support for the companies vessels.
I was with Neil Lovesey on the Vegaman in Mexico, Harry Williams I was on the Bridgeman with and Eddie Vitols was on the Centaurman, I don't think he stayed. From the third year I am fairly sure I sailed with John Walker on the Orionman.
I had good times with Rowbotham's, and I learnt a lot in a short time from some very professional seamen and engineers. but I don't regret leaving when I did, especially considering the state of the industry these days. Since I left, I have spent a lot of time on different vessels, with different nationalities and flag states and quite frankly the practices, seamanship and depth of knowledge on some the vessels I have to deal with are not what they should be.
As for Clive, I remember his issue with gloves and the fact that he could go on deck in nice clean white boiler suit and have it completely black within an hour or less!!we are getting on a bit now, I am still working with no plans to stop just yet.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
Dave ***mins was the last Captain I sailed with before leaving Rockies on the Stellaman. Before that I sailed with him in BP when he was 2nd Mate and I was Deck Cadet back in 1973. He was a great guy but sadly passed away a while back now, as have so many other names on that list.
But as you say, the Company was a great one to work for and had some fantastic personnel on different vessels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nov 1983 - Jan 1990

Good to find this forum. I was one of the STS class 4 trainees starting with 7 guys at Gravesend. Through attrition I think 2 of us got a ticket in the end. I sailed as an AB and passed my class 4 to sail 3rd mate on the Tankerman with Rodney, then offered a trip as 2/0 over Christmas with Ian Storey as old man. I did a couple of years as 2/0, plenty of relief trips. Leaving in January 1990 at Canvey. I worked ashore with Fishers for nearly 4 years in personnel. Eventually made redundant by Mr Cobb the CEO, who followed me from Rowbotham and was busy "consolidating" numbers. Best thing that could have happened. Still in the industry on the insurance side. Read a lot of old names and people I sailed with, good an bad trips, but I mostly remember the good. Good to see people are still alive. Best - Chris Roberts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #368 (Edited)
2nd year: Andy Bourne, Neil Lovesey, Harry Williams, Martin Skinner, Lindsey Dowdall and Eddie Vitols.
There was a third year but I can only remember two guys, Paul Williams and John Walker/

Then Rocky's started to go with class 5 entries, these were lads who basically started as deck boys but the ones I remember below turned out to be great lads:-
Jon Whitford, Stuart Vallis, Tim Kelly, Chris Poole - Gleed, Ian Pinney, Jim Podger, Alec Gibbons, Terry Hitchens, Matt Black and my apologies, I cannot remember any other names.
We were all trained by great chaps, and I thank them secretly every single day, hope you all remember some of the following names? I am 60 years old now but am still that daft cadet! The following are my heroes, I hope they ring a bell for all you lads? Here Goes, in no particular order as they say on the telly!
Captain Derek Hunt, Captain Frank Craske, Captain John Bates, Capt Alex Mc Kinnon, Captain Alec Graham, Captain George Mount, Captain Noel Williams, Captain Rodney Burnett, Captain John Marsden, Captain William Millar, Captain John Phillips, Captain David Andrews, Captain Steve Pond, Captain Alan Everett, Captain David ***mins, Captain Ian Storrie, Captain Jim Mc Gregor,
Terry Frith, Bob Ord, Peter Marris, Joe Wilson, Kenny Plummer, John Steward, Tim O'Sullivan. Howard Swan, Colin Farmer, Gordon Coates, Chris Ford, Robin Ralling, Peter Turner, Mike Cooke, David Day and Dick Stevenson and so many others?
I wasn't an engineer but the following taught me and possibly you a lot?
Ian Shields, Graham Davies, Kevin Raby, Gordon Davies, Keith Boyles, Dougie Alexander, Peter Gough, Eddie Neylon, Bob Hedley, Kalli Aktar, Benjy Crentsil,Duncan Deefholts, Clayton(Sorry about the forgotten Christian name).
The real Rowbotham were a magnificent company, with great ships, great people and great training for us young and inexperienced lads. Everything I have I owe to all those great people. Apologies for anyone I have missed. I also feel I need to mention two amazing seamen that I still tell stories about, Boson's, Jimmy Ward and Ernie Horne! There is no one around today of their calibre! Class. I hope this post gives you all happy memories, it always makes me chuckle, great people, great character, great seamen and great role models!
Excuse any duplications, errors etc:
Mick Scanlon, Ted Thornley, Charlie Wescott (decd), DB Owen, Fred Windass, Steve Pond, Jerry Cosgrove, Bob Mallett, Willy Millar, Terry Frith, Norman Wardil, Trevor Hill, Gerry Whitehead, Alan Hepburn, Roger Havard (decd), Peter Brown, Bob Ord, Rex White, Arthur Smith, John Claxton, Alan Everett, Derek Hunt,Dave Andrews, Jo Wilson, Rusty Buchan, John Marsden, Dick Stevenson, Roy Stevens, Mr Witton, IP Odd,John Bates, Dave Muirhead, George Thompson, Howard Swan, Eddie Lees, John Blewett, Hughie Hall (decd), Allan Thurbon, Pete Marris, John Charlesworth, Frank Craske, George Cornwell, John Cook, George Patterson, Paul Burrell, Geoff Plastow, Ken Plummer, Alec Gibbons, Stuart Oberheim, Paul Mercer, Trevor Hill, Mike Cotton, Rod Burnett, Ian Shields, John Carolan, Dave Andrews, Kevin Raby, Steve Pond, Gordon Davis, Kenny McDonald, Turleogh MacMahon, Duncan Robertson, Gordon Sims, Dave ***mins (decd), Andy Shenton (decd), John Browning (decd), Kevin Geoghan, Chris Tate, Dave Roberts, Alec Graham, John Godwin, George Cheevers, John O’Brien, Brian Halliday, Phil Jameson, Keith Barnett, John Phillips (decd), Richard Lockwood, Mike Taylor, Capt Duffin, Gordon Kent, Harry Loughrey, Jim Cunningham, Billy Moshi, Tony Sheldrake, Mike O’Brian, Tim Kelly, Paul Larsen, John Henderson, Frank Craske, Chris Poole-Gleed, Clive Stevens, Alex McKinnon, Dieter Jaenicke, Gordon Coates, Eddie Neylon, Ernie Horne, Jim Podger, Ian Pinney, Paul Mercer, Colin Farmer.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hi I was a Boatman in Shoreham in the 60s and he was Master in one of the
Small Tankers Ruddeman or Steersman not sure he was a good Man
RIP
Granty

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hi
I have been informed my message about Frank left an idea that it might not read correctly
As said before I remember Frank when he was Master in the small Tankers and mentioned 2 names I put not sure I should have said not sure which of the small Tankers he was in it was about 39 years ago sorry if this lead to a misunderstanding he was a good guy he was always polite to me when I tied him up or went aboard to get my bill signed and let him go
Granty

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Excuse any duplications, errors etc:
Mick Scanlon, Ted Thornley, Charlie Wescott (decd), DB Owen, Fred Windass, Steve Pond, Jerry Cosgrove, Bob Mallett, Willy Millar, Terry Frith, Norman Wardil, Trevor Hill, Gerry Whitehead, Alan Hepburn, Roger Havard (decd), Peter Brown, Bob Ord, Rex White, Arthur Smith, John Claxton, Alan Everett, Derek Hunt,Dave Andrews, Jo Wilson, Rusty Buchan, John Marsden, Dick Stevenson, Roy Stevens, Mr Witton, IP Odd,John Bates, Dave Muirhead, George Thompson, Howard Swan, Eddie Lees, John Blewett, Hughie Hall (decd), Allan Thurbon, Pete Marris, John Charlesworth, Frank Craske, George Cornwell, John Cook, George Patterson, Paul Burrell, Geoff Plastow, Ken Plummer, Alec Gibbons, Stuart Oberheim, Paul Mercer, Trevor Hill, Mike Cotton, Rod Burnett, Ian Shields, John Carolan, Dave Andrews, Kevin Raby, Steve Pond, Gordon Davis, Kenny McDonald, Turleogh MacMahon, Duncan Robertson, Gordon Sims, Dave ***mins (decd), Andy Shenton (decd), John Browning (decd), Kevin Geoghan, Chris Tate, Dave Roberts, Alec Graham, John Godwin, George Cheevers, John O’Brien, Brian Halliday, Phil Jameson, Keith Barnett, John Phillips (decd), Richard Lockwood, Mike Taylor, Capt Duffin, Gordon Kent, Harry Loughrey, Jim Cunningham, Billy Moshi, Tony Sheldrake, Mike O’Brian, Tim Kelly, Paul Larsen, John Henderson, Frank Craske, Chris Poole-Gleed, Clive Stevens, Alex McKinnon, Dieter Jaenicke, Gordon Coates, Eddie Neylon, Ernie Horne, Jim Podger, Ian Pinney, Paul Mercer, Colin Farmer.
I have just learnt of the passing of Gordon Coates, former Mate and Master with Rowbothams and sailed predominantly on the chemical ships.

He actually passed away 3 years ago but I have just been informed of this sad news today from another ex-colleague from the Robo days.

Gordon was a down to earth person, never got in to flap, and kept things straight down the middle.

I was aware he went to Stolt's in about 1997 but lost touch with him shortly after that.

As per the link below Gordon became a London river pilot, ............ he was only 63 when he passed away.
RIP Capt Coates.

http://www.pilotmag.co.uk/2017/07/20/obituary-gordon-coates-1953-2016-london-pilot/

·
Registered
209 Posts
On the Bow , Another Cow

Well , it's been a long while since I ventured on SN , but good to read loads of names of former Rockies Crews.
They certainly trained me up well & I'm grateful to all who took the trouble to teach me the high standards that were expected in Rowbotham's in those days.
I have trained up a few to those same standards , while in other companies , and one is now Master with Fishers .
I left in late 83 so haven't keep in touch with many from way back then but have traced the last heard whereabouts of those first Class 5 Deckies who joined in 1978

Stuart Vallis - Owner / CEO of a Marine Consultancy

Jim Podger - Master with Maersk Tankers

Alex Gibbons - Master offshore mining ?

Chris Poole-Gleed -Owner of a Saw Mill in the West Midlands

I think these lads will all be approaching the big 60 soon , so time to knock it on the head and retire (Thumb)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
Well , it's been a long while since I ventured on SN , but good to read loads of names of former Rockies Crews.
They certainly trained me up well & I'm grateful to all who took the trouble to teach me the high standards that were expected in Rowbotham's in those days.
I have trained up a few to those same standards , while in other companies , and one is now Master with Fishers .
I left in late 83 so haven't keep in touch with many from way back then but have traced the last heard whereabouts of those first Class 5 Deckies who joined in 1978

Stuart Vallis - Owner / CEO of a Marine Consultancy
Jim Podger - Master with Maersk Tankers
Alex Gibbons - Master offshore mining ?
Chris Poole-Gleed -Owner of a Saw Mill in the West Midlands

I think these lads will all be approaching the big 60 soon , so time to knock it on the head and retire (Thumb)
Did you know Tim Kelly, another of the Class 5s? I keep in regular touch with him, he now works at the Adriatic LNG terminal.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
BRYAN PORTER has asked me to pass on his best wishes to all those that knew and remember him.

He says "It is now 30 years since I last had any dealings with Rowbotham’s personnel and along with yourself I only keep in touch with Howard Robinson, Allan Thurbon and Sylvia Fisher"

·
Registered
15 Posts
There must be plenty of ex-Rockies on here, certainly some threads following on in the picture gallery would indicate that, so, in the words of a Norwich City Chairwoman.."Let's be 'avin you!"

Me - mate & 2nd mate - March 1980/July 1987......Rudderman (x3), Helmsman, Tillerman (my regular vessel x17), Orionman, Leadsman (x3), River Shannon (x4), Oilman (x3), Pointsman, Oarsman, Eastgate, Quarterman, Echoman (x4), Polarisman, Stellaman.
Neil 1 Started as a AB ended up as mate served on Orionman eastgate, westgate, Northgate Irishgate, Rudderman, Tillerman, Steersman,Guidesman,Cableman, Polarisman Anchorman, Tankerman,Chartsman, finishing off on the Westgate in 99.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi just came across this forum, I started with Hull Gates originally on the Natalie, Per, Humbergate (dc electrics! Seven was chief engineer), Westgate in Ethiopia and I was on the Eastgate for sometime with Andy Shenton. By that time Rowbotham had taken over, I did trips on Stellaman, Marsman, Polarisman and I'm sure a few more! I left to come ashore back in 87.
Great days

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re:#06 Guidesman

I was an EDH in the Guidesman in January and February 1968. Looking at my old book the Master does look like Tommy Williams. I remember three Captains in two months. The first was a Geordie, who was seasick all the time, was that Tommy Williams? I joined her in Harwich and payed off in Cardiff. There were three on Deck. A young Irish lad who joined with me and the Bosun, Ritchie, who came from the Channel Islands. We all kept watches. The first port was Eastham on the Mersey. I must have had the eight to twelve because I went ashore after lunch and don't remember being in a rush to get back. I stayed in the pub till closing time (mid-afternoon in those days). When I came back aboard I found that Joe the regular Bosun had returned from leave and the Irish lad had been sacked. The only time that being in the Pub saved my job rather than lost it

John

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Re:#06 Guidesman

I was an EDH in the Guidesman in January and February 1968. Looking at my old book the Master does look like Tommy Williams. I remember three Captains in two months. The first was a Geordie, who was seasick all the time, was that Tommy Williams? I joined her in Harwich and payed off in Cardiff. There were three on Deck. A young Irish lad who joined with me and the Bosun, Ritchie, who came from the Channel Islands. We all kept watches. The first port was Eastham on the Mersey. I must have had the eight to twelve because I went ashore after lunch and don't remember being in a rush to get back. I stayed in the pub till closing time (mid-afternoon in those days). When I came back aboard I found that Joe the regular Bosun had returned from leave and the Irish lad had been sacked. The only time that being in the Pub saved my job rather than lost it

John
Tommy Williams, a great guy, lived somewhere on the South Coast. I sailed with him on the Pointsman and I don't recollect any mal de mer (Thumb)

361 - 380 of 392 Posts