Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone can help. I never got the chance to talk to my grandfather about his Royal Navy career. He left Scotland and moved to the south coast. I have some flight logs from the beginning of his career but some say Royal Air Force on the cover even though he never joined RAF. I believe he was based around Coyden as that is where my father was born.
During WW2 he spent the bulk of his time on HMS Delhi and lived in around Southampton.
Can anyone explain the flying then joining a ship? I believe he was a radio operator/navigator as he also flew with Imperial Airways when he left the Royal Navy. He was on board boat planes that flew from Southampton to places like South Africa.
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, without a few dates it is difficult to reply to your request, but I can provide a few broad details.

If your grandfather was with Imperial Airways that would have been pre war. Imperial Airways became the British Overseas Airways Corporation in 1940. So, he would have returned to BOAC after the war.
Imperial was based at Croyden but flyingboat services operated from Southampton pre-war.

Long story short - RN flying between the wars was controlled by the RAF. So, depending on when your grandfather joined (was he a pre-war reserve?), he could well have been issued with an RAF log book.

Flying from HMS Delhi he would have been a crewman on a Supermarine Walrus flyingboat. The Walrus had a crew of three and was a metal hulled biplane that was catapulted off the ship, To return it had to land on the sea alongside the cruiser and be hoisted aboard.

If you wish to ask me any questions please send a private message. I will do my best to answer.

Best regards
Ian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts