Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I don’t know if anyone noticed but today was the last time for the “UK theme” on the BBC. At just before 6.30 am CET I was sad to hear the announcer tell us that it was the last and to “enjoy” as she put it. Not very nautical you may say but this little reassuring bit of UK includes ‘Rule Britannia’, ‘Sussex by the sea’ and the classic hornpipe ‘What shall we do with the ...etc.’ another little bit of ‘olde’ England down the tubes.

If I understood what she also said, the format of the Shipping Forecast will be altered – it will only be for a limited number of inshore sea areas. Even if I’m not your actual working sailor man or even close to the sea, I did rather like hearing the full forecast as I shaved, it was nice to know what the weather was like off Malin head...............R (Cloud)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Richard,

There were a lot of objections to these changes in the UK but the people that run the BBC would have no truck with the wishes of the majority of their listeners as they know better. (Cloud)

Change can be good or bad. Most changes made in the BBC tend to be dumbing down - this is no exception.

Brian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here is an excerpt from a script for the new forecast for shipping .......

"For any of you rough-tough sailor lads in the sea between England and France (we call it the English Channel but the French call it La Manche - and they are perfectly entitled to do so under EU equal opportunities legislation) there will be some of those fluffy white clouds, and it may just give you a sprinkling of rain so you better dress up warm and put your packamacs on ............ you don't want to catch a cold do you?

Anyone on the left-hand side of Scotland is in for a treat. Plenty of blue skies and you will need to put some factor 9 suntan cream on so you don't burn those gorgeous arms of yours .....

etc."

Brian

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
I think this is the politically correct brigade at work again, the same lot who don't want us to be English anymore and fly the flag of St George. The BBC is most likely doing as it is told?!. But as Brian says, they have no truck with the wishes of their listeners. David

·
Banned
21 Posts
Rule Britannia

Is it my imagination, or does it seem like parliament and the big institutions, seem hell bent on destroying our English heritage.

Everything appears to being done away with, or somebody is making a suggestion to do away with something relating to our history, our sayings, our way of life, our flags. Its not just the Maritime aspect, its into everything that we held and still hold proud.

I seems as if somebody or selection of people just want to irradicate our history. If it carries on then this country will soon have no identity anymore. Nothing to remember and nothing to hold dear.

Chris.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Santos/David,

Despite my comments I am actually more optimistic than you about this. I believe very much in the old saying that "What goes round comes around".

Sooner or later it will be realised that getting too far out of step with the British Public means getting out of office. This will either result in a change in behaviour, or getting pushed out of office. We are lucky enought to live in a democracy and do have some power to influence our future - though it it a very slow process.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
We have democracy now Brian, but in the future, who knows?. I am freindly with people with power, but no power. The people of many countries revolt when they find out things are not going their way, but still helpless to do anything about it. One must just hope and pray the same situation do not happen here and that we will always have the oppotunity to vote those out of office we do not like. I am being very carful here not to make political comment as I have had my knuckles wrapped on that before?!. So I don't want to go down that road again because I am not for or against any political party. I just look at fact as it presents itself whatever party is in government. But it does seem that our English heritage is being destoyed, and if so, for what underlying reason?. David

·
Banned
21 Posts
Rule Britannia

Fully agree with everything you say David. I have asked myself the same question, WHY ?.

We have a wonderful history, a history that many many countries dont have. We had a major, Merchant Fleet and a major Navy. Now we have neither.

The way things are going we wont be allowed to remember them soon.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
I think it is jealousy of our history Chris?. As you say, we once had a major merchant and naval fleet, the biggest in the world at one time I think. Our tiny islands is responsible for helping to populate other countries, America, Australasia, you name it our empire was everywhere. Some countries may not have wanted us interferring, and wanted independence. But like us or not, I don't think there is a single country in the world not enriched by our presence?. Other countries were leberated by us. Yet the very same countries seem to want to do what Hitler and others could not do, bring us to our knees. We have built the best ships and the best aircraft. After the war, when others were still using turbo prop planes, we closed our doors for a few years only to open them to bring out the first jet airliner, the Comet. We were years ahead of the rest. In the 60s we had the most advanced fighter plane of it's time the TRS2. It was years ahead of it's time, yet we dumped it. That is not being biassed, it is known fact. Here on the island we had a thriving industry. We invented the hovercraft, and could have kept the building here. Now, hovercraft are built all over the world. We invented the islander aircraft, and could have kept the business local. We had the best shipyards anywhere in the world building two of the most famous ships in history, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth at John Brown Scotland, and many other famous ships around our tiny islands. I went on Queen Mary in long Beach if 1972, and the guide tride to tell us they built her and sailed her. We invented cricket and football, and many other things. I am talking about Great Britain in general of course, but we should be proud to be English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh and able to fly our flags. But nothing can take away the fact that without these islands of ours the world would not be what it is today.

Perhaps this is best in the Mess Deck forum?. David

·
Registered
318 Posts
The shipping forecast is being extended to give a more comprehensive coverage to inshore waters because it's leisure "boaters" who now form the greater part of the audience!! I shall miss the tune, it forever reminds me of dodging about the North Sea at the time of the Falklands war, it seemed to sum up the spirit of Britain that "Johnny Foreigner" should not prevail. Brought a tear to the eye at the time.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Charlie_Wood said:
The shipping forecast is being extended to give a more comprehensive coverage to inshore waters because it's leisure "boaters" who now form the greater part of the audience!! I shall miss the tune, it forever reminds me of dodging about the North Sea at the time of the Falklands war, it seemed to sum up the spirit of Britain that "Johnny Foreigner" should not prevail. Brought a tear to the eye at the time.
To quote another Victor...I don't believe it...actually...I do but I fail to see what an election will do? Each side is equally as bad as the other when it comes to PC. Only by exiting the EU would you get the satisfaction of what you (some of you) seek. Vix (K)

·
Registered
17 Posts
More BBC Stupidity

(Apologies in advance - I know this is not about shipping but I think there is a link to the earlier postings about the shipping forecast)

The BBC website carries this story today:

BBC sports show Grandstand is to end after 48 years.

The programme is to be phased out as part of a sports overhaul at the BBC, and replaced with individual shows such as Football Focus.

Both the Winter Olympics and Commonwealth Games were shown without the Grandstand banner this year, with FA Cup Football and the Grand National likely to follow.

The programme is to be phased out as part of a sports overhaul at the BBC, and replaced with individual shows such as Football Focus.

Both the Winter Olympics and Commonwealth Games were shown without the Grandstand banner this year, with FA Cup Football and the Grand National likely to follow.

Personally I don't watch sport apart from the Grand National but know many people who enjoy this programme. According to the BBC announcement by the unspeakable idiots that run the place, it is being changed as "a re-branding exercise" and to embrace the "digital on-demand world". (Cloud)

Funny - I thought it was a highly popular sports programme - but what do I know about it - I just pay the licence fee!

Does anyone have a spare sick bag?

Brian

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The British... why give them cake when they have rice..??? heard that some where before i think..was it the Russian revolution.?

·
Registered
508 Posts
jim barnes said:
The British... why give them cake when they have rice..??? heard that some where before i think..was it the Russian revolution.?
Jim, Thought it was Marie Antoinette...let them eat cake if they have no bread!! Trotsky said, "Come ze revolution we will all eat caviar!" To put that in words of a popular advert currently running here...'Yea, right!' so...remember...½ a loaf is better than no bread! Or...Oscar Wilde's famous quip..."Work is the curse of the drinking class...read that and weep...Mermaid!! LOL vix (Night)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't want to panic you guy's still in the old dart, but we in the colonies can only except a few more white faces, then the door's will be shut, so move out quickly,and please form a queue.
From down here it's not looking good over there.we see you have now been give a new name by Brussel's, you are Section 9 North of the E.U. (Cloud)

Remember, You can take the English out of England, but you can't take England out of the English... Bazza

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Sorry to hear about the demise of Grandstand and (even more) the Shipping Forecast - what about the poor folk wallowing around Fishnet and Stocking wondering what to do with themselves?

Is it only the English speaking world that is being subject to all this political correctness, or is it going on everywhere? Over to you Ruud, have the managed to turn Mevrouw into Ms yet?

John T.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi All,

I guess I opened a door to some pretty strong emotions here. I'm not surprised. We (France) may have invented PC, tho' the Yanks claimed they did (just like the QEII) but the old country perfected it especially under this Govt. I've been naturalised French for more than twenty years, which incidentally doesn't mean I've got 70 kilos of dried vine leaves stuffed up me fundament and two glass eyes, but I do like to keep in touch with reality and the Beeb was "it". I'm just sad that they have to muck about with something I really liked and appreciated and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.......R

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Thanks VIX knew i heard something some where"Voices in the head garbled at times " chears ..lol (Thumb)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well gents at least you cant blame the Demise of britain on my generation, that honour lies fairly and squarely on your generation.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts