Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
802 Posts
Repeat of my previous response message dated 26th October at 18:49 hrs :

6,140 ton cargo ship, built by Tyne shipbuilders John Readhead & Sons, in 1944, as the 'Empire Grey' for the M.O.W.T., with management in 1944-1945 by Meldrum & Swinson then in 1946 the Eskdale Shipping Company.

1947 : 'Burhill' for the Zinal S.S. Coy
1951 : 'London City' for the Golden Cross Line
1951 : 'Chepman' for the Barberry's S.S. Coy
1957 : 'Jag Janani' for the Great Eastern Shipping Coy

Went for breaking at Bombay in 1961

NB : Sorry - should have checked before posting, you already had a response from Marconi Sahib. There are four good images of what I believe to be your ship, as the 'Chepman', on an 'old steamships' website which, I think you can get through the following link :

http://www.photoship.co.uk

· Registered
802 Posts
According to Mirimar :

1944 : 'Empire Grey' for the Ministry of War Transport (MOWT)
1947 : 'Burhill' for the Burness Shipping Company
1951 : 'Chepman' for Runciman of London
1951 : 'London City' for the Golden Cross Line
1957 : 'Jag Janani' for the Great Eastern Shipping Coy

· Registered
183 Posts
In 1935 Anchor Line went into liquidation and control of the company went to Runciman in London. By 1965 Moor Line in Newcastle upon Tyne and managed by Water Runciman merged with Anchor Line and by 1968 all operations in Newcastle were transfered to Anchor Line in Glasgow and Newcastle office of Runciman was closed.
Lovely building at the bottom of Pilgrim Street in Newcastle (now wine bar or texas steak house or some such).
good days !!!

· Registered
1 Posts
Walter Runciman wrote a book, Before the Mast - and After:
The Autobiography of a Sailor and Shipowner
by Sir Walter Runciman, Bart.
I have a doc.
He mentions my GG Grandfather John Swallow Waddle who was lost with the Henry Cook in December 1874. Runciman describes the night in detail. He also says that John's Son was a very able Captain of his for some years. I only know that John's son Thomas Keswick Waddle was a seaman but no references to any moor line ships or even references that he was a Captain.
Does anyone have a list of captains gong back to late 19th century early 20th? or anything that might be useful?

· Registered
1 Posts
MV Kirriemoor towed Mulberry Harbour Caisson

Hi

If it's of any interest to you, my Grandfather sailed on the MV Kirriemoor (a Runciman ship) a few days after D-Day and towed one of the Caissons destined for Mulberry Harbour B.

Unfortunately due to poor weather and heavy seas, the Caisson broke free and was lost at sea.

Fortunately many Caissons made it and the rest is history!

Steve

· Registered
16 Posts
Runcimans

My grandfather was a bosun, on Runcimans first Nethermoor. I think it was the companies 6th steamer ? Last year, l stayed at Doxford Hall, a former home of Lord Runciman. The Hall is now a luxury hotel and l can imagine my grandfather smiling down on me from the heavenly decks of the Nethermoor.theood l ate

· Registered
7,139 Posts

I was familiar with Anchor Line/Runciman/Moor Line operations at Liverpool from about 1950 to about 1975.

The names of some Masters were (in no particular order):-

James McGill Brown
Walter Thompson
Angus Colquhoun
Ramage
Sinclair
Mackenzie (Shore Superintendent)
Bob Harris
Lamont
Blair
Barclay
McVicar

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Walter Runciman wrote a book, Before the Mast - and After:
The Autobiography of a Sailor and Shipowner
by Sir Walter Runciman, Bart.
I have a doc.
He mentions my GG Grandfather John Swallow Waddle who was lost with the Henry Cook in December 1874. Runciman describes the night in detail. He also says that John's Son was a very able Captain of his for some years. I only know that John's son Thomas Keswick Waddle was a seaman but no references to any moor line ships or even references that he was a Captain.
Does anyone have a list of captains gong back to late 19th century early 20th? or anything that might be useful?
Recently was given this book by a friend after visiting Seahouses on the Northumbrian coast. On opening the book found that he lived just
outside same.
It must have been a very hard life in those days of sail where many ships and crews were lost on the east coast of the UK and elsewhere.
A good read about someone who started at the bottom and progressed to building a shipping company.
Davie

· Registered
32 Posts
could anyone recall this company?
also there ship named chepman cheers.
Yes vaguely I sailed as junior R/O on the MV Cameronia bulk carrier in 1974 I think it was amalgamated with Anchor line Out of Glasgow. I have a Runciman pennant flag here of the same ship and a slightly moth eaten large Red Anchor on a linen background Anchor line flag. Can’t be many of those left about if any. Other than that can’t remember much

· Registered
32 Posts
#9i sailed on the Cameroonian with a captain called Howlett in 74 for 6 months

I was familiar with Anchor Line/Runciman/Moor Line operations at Liverpool from about 1950 to about 1975.

The names of some Masters were (in no particular order):-

James McGill Brown
Walter Thompson
Angus Colquhoun
Ramage
Sinclair
Mackenzie (Shore Superintendent)
Bob Harris
Lamont
Blair
Barclay
McVicar