Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What becameof her? 1300 tons gross, built in 1926 and owned by Newbiggin Shipping Co. Ltd of Newcastle.

I served on her in 1956 on the timber run to Archangel. In 1958 I saw her in Colombo under the Italian flag - I knew it was her, because her radar mast was made from an old derrick on the port wing of the bridge!!

Obviously she's no more, but does anyone know where she met her end?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't know what happened to her......was on her in the 50's, coal run from Newcastle and Hamburg. Must be the worst ship I was ever on ! I posted my comments on another thread a couple of months ago, but can't find it now. I imagine she went down somewhere as a lot of that type and age that were sold off did.

fred

" play it Sam "

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Greathope,2328 tons built 1926 by Burntisland SB Co, 3 cyl up & downer built by NE Marine. 310.1 x 41.9 x 19.7. DF & Radar. Registered Newcastle, British flag. Code flags GJBF. Owned by Newbigin SS Co.

·
Registered
231 Posts
GREATHOPE 2297grt Built Burntisland 1926
Renamed AVIOR 1957.Sank in gale near Socotra 23.7.59 on Voyage Rijeka/Bombay.
Information from BLACK DIAMOND FLEETS (NORMAN MIDDLEMISS)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greathope

spartan said:
GREATHOPE 2297grt Built Burntisland 1926
Renamed AVIOR 1957.Sank in gale near Socotra 23.7.59 on Voyage Rijeka/Bombay.
Information from BLACK DIAMOND FLEETS (NORMAN MIDDLEMISS)
Do Black Diamond have a web-site?
Many thanks for the information

·
Registered
231 Posts
Afraid no web site,but book was published by Shield Publications Ltd.P.O. Box 5,Low Fell,Gateshead.NE9 7YS in July 2000.If that is any help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spartan said:
Afraid no web site,but book was published by Shield Publications Ltd.P.O. Box 5,Low Fell,Gateshead.NE9 7YS in July 2000.If that is any help.
Really hooked on this one! I want to find out as much as I can about her. Is there any chance you can send me a scan of the pasage from your book, or failing that, signpost me to where I might go next? I've tried stacks of web-sites, but all to no avail!

Regards

Trevor Waddington

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Trevor,only mention of Greathope in the book is the bare bones info in the fleet list. Afraid don't know of any other available resources to point you to.
Cheers.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
wa002f0328 said:
Hi Tev
The GREATHOPE, was one of the heaveyest colliers on the coast, that is why we gave her a miss, all those Hatchboards oh no, that is the 58 one, she was ugly, but probably did her job well and served the company well, when they could get a crew!!!

30 odd years there must have been some poor buggers about? (Thumb)

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
wa002f0328 said:
Hi Tev
The GREATHOPE, was one of the heaveyest colliers on the coast, that is why we gave her a miss, all those Hatchboards oh no, that is the 58 one, she was ugly, but probably did her job well and served the company well, when they could get a crew!!!
Ahoy wa002f0328,

She wasn't that ugly, I've seen worse.
Here attached a piccie courtesy/© by A.Duncan:

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
ruud said:
Ahoy wa002f0328,

She wasn't that ugly, I've seen worse.
Here attached a piccie courtesy/© by A.Duncan:
This is the first "Greathope". The picture flatters her!. Absolute tub! I didn't even have a proper cabin - my bunk was in the Radio Room.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
greathope

Trevorw said:
This is the first "Greathope". The picture flatters her!. Absolute tub! I didn't even have a proper cabin - my bunk was in the Radio Room.
sorry trev my apologies got her mixed up with another collier (Thumb)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts