Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
1959-1960

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone had any information or records of the SS Orsova from 1959 and or 1960?

My grandfather was on the ship on one of these years, maybe even 1961.
He lost his old crew list and itinerary many years ago and I was wondering if any of you knew anyone that might still have them? Or any info of the ship from these years really.

It's his birthday coming up in September and I was hoping to find something for him, maybe even reunite him with old friends.

His name was Joseph Marsh.

If anyone even knows where I can start looking that would be greatly appreciated.

Christian.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Orsova

I'm trying to find sailing dates or cruise number for the Orsova in 1958 from Los Angeles (in May or June) to England. It was a 20-day journey. My mother, my sister, and I were on that cruise. i have photos and memorabilia (Children's Fancy Dress Party invite, etc.). I cannot find more specifics about the sailing dates. I do know that we stopped in Panama City, Trinidad, and Le Havre on the way. Help! When I learn how to post photos, I will.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My family sailed to Australia on the Orsova on it's maiden voyage, May 1953, I was 5 years old at the time, we returned to the UK 2 years later on the Oronsay.
Homesickness has a lot to answer for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Panama Schedule

I'm trying to find sailing dates or cruise number for the Orsova in 1958 from Los Angeles (in May or June) to England. It was a 20-day journey. My mother, my sister, and I were on that cruise. i have photos and memorabilia (Children's Fancy Dress Party invite, etc.). I cannot find more specifics about the sailing dates. I do know that we stopped in Panama City, Trinidad, and Le Havre on the way. Help! When I learn how to post photos, I will.
---------------------------------------
I have a 1963 Panama Schedule P&O Orient Lines.
It does not show Orsova as the vessel but Oronsay.
Wrong year and vessel but maybe the port stops might help

It shows a 20 day Journey Leaving May 10/63 arriving May 31/63

Ports stop are :
Los Angles Acapulco Balboa Cristobal Trinidad
Barbados Bermuda Le Havre Southampton

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! My grandmother also travelled his ship nz to Australia in 1968/69 June and David Patterson. I would love to find photos or lists or anything if possible

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad worked on the Orsova, he said it was the best ship he ever served on. Many years after he died my uncle told me a story about when the old boy was in Sydney, He and a few other crew members went ashore for a few beers, some hours later and much the worse for ware he decided to head back to the ship. On the way back he decided to pop into a harbour shed and have a rest, he promptly fell asleep, many hours later he woke up and headed back to the ship, on arrival at the quayside he discovered the ship wasn't there, to his horror he found the ship had sailed to Auckland without him. Around the area where the ship was berthed a lot of police activity was going on and being a nosey Glaswegian with nothing better to he decided to ask a member of Sydney’s finest what was going on, the police officer informed him that a crew member from the Orsova left a local pub late the previous night to head back to the ship and wasn't seen again, my dad was so horrified by this knowing the chances were good that he would know the unfortunate sailor. He asked the policeman the name of the crewmember, the cop replied Bill Bremner. The search was called off immediately and the old boy was taken to the station and allowed to phone the office. He was then flown to Auckland where he met the ship. His punishment was confined to ship for the rest of the voyage and weeks wages. I was informed by my uncle the punishment he received from my mother was harsher.
Hi Lindsay. I sailed out on the Orsova with Billy several trips. I have a couple of pics if you would like me to send them. Also have a couple more stories regarding your Dad. Hilarious. He was in my cabin. 4 berth. I was on her from Feb 65 till Oct 67.Great times. Martin.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In 1974 I was a Junior Sparks in Orsova, the Chief R/O was Bill Keeling, I remember the R/O I was on watch with was Ron Atkinson. I came across Bill Keeling in 1980's when we were both working for Sealink in a boat named Rhodri Mawer

41 - 48 of 48 Posts