Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
We passed each other with Oranje going north somewhere around Dakar. About half an hour later I had to call for a medical emergency. This was my first and only time using the XXX Medico calling procedure. Instant answer, very impressed.

David

+

·
Registered
24 Posts
What a beauty.... I remember seeing S.A. ORANJE alongside the Western Docks in Southampton on 14 August 1974 when calling there in SS FRANCE en route to Le Havre and, another classic African mailship... AUREOL was in the Royal Docks.

BTW, a visit to the Mount Nelson Hotel, Cape Town in 1983 (arriving in RMS CENTAUR)... when it was still owned by the Cayzers, revealed chairs and tables in the lounge with "RMS PRETORIA CASTLE" stenciled on them... so obviously landed during her final call. Back then, all the china and silver in the hotel was British & Commonwealth marked, too. It was as close to "voyaging" Union-Castle as you could get without going to sea.

Peter Kohler

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a beauty.... I remember seeing S.A. ORANJE alongside the Western Docks in Southampton on 14 August 1974 when calling there in SS FRANCE en route to Le Havre and, another classic African mailship... AUREOL was in the Royal Docks.

BTW, a visit to the Mount Nelson Hotel, Cape Town in 1983 (arriving in RMS CENTAUR)... when it was still owned by the Cayzers, revealed chairs and tables in the lounge with "RMS PRETORIA CASTLE" stenciled on them... so obviously landed during her final call. Back then, all the china and silver in the hotel was British & Commonwealth marked, too. It was as close to "voyaging" Union-Castle as you could get without going to sea.

Peter Kohler
you were lucky to have been on the france - my favorite ship of all time - regarding the mount nelson - or nellie as we locals call her - she proudly still stands - and has an entire floor dedicated to union castle line in including
Picture frame Lighting Interior design Wood Floor

this model of the windsor castle

·
Registered
24 Posts
So that's where it wound up.... I remember this having pride of place of the famous Union-Castle Pub in the equally missed Helmsley Hotel right behind the Mount Nelson which was a veritable U-C museum. Lots of memories of the old Cape Town which I haven't seen since... gosh, I think 1991.

FRANCE was special... my "first ship" and travelling alone as a 16-year-old high school student using CGT's $179 "Student Fare", well $220 after the "Fuel Surcharge" (something we might see again soon!). Two years ago, I managed to acquire one of her original liferings that belonged to her NCL captain on her delivery voyage to Bremerhaven for conversion.

Peter Kohler

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So that's where it wound up.... I remember this having pride of place of the famous Union-Castle Pub in the equally missed Helmsley Hotel right behind the Mount Nelson which was a veritable U-C museum. Lots of memories of the old Cape Town which I haven't seen since... gosh, I think 1991.

FRANCE was special... my "first ship" and travelling alone as a 16-year-old high school student using CGT's $179 "Student Fare", well $220 after the "Fuel Surcharge" (something we might see again soon!). Two years ago, I managed to acquire one of her original liferings that belonged to her NCL captain on her delivery voyage to Bremerhaven for conversion.

Peter Kohler
Property Building Sky Fixture Facade
Font Material property Document Advertising Signage
Plant Sky Building Property Daytime
Building Window Tree Residential area Landmark
Building Window Font Poster Landmark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts