Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have info/pictures of Safmarine ships in 1970's. I was lecky on SA Merchant 1972/73.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Not sure if still in print but the World Ship Society published an illustrated fleet history of the Company. Details below.

SAFMARINE – The South African Marine Corporation Ltd – A Group History. W. J. Harvey, in association with C. R. Mackenzie.
The history of the Cape Town based company from 1946 until its 1999 break up and sale.
(Published by The World Ship Society, 2002 - ISBN 0 905617-98-3)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone have info/pictures of Safmarine ships in 1970's. I was lecky on SA Merchant 1972/73.
iain48
I am not a regular user of this site but I have come across your old post during a bit of a trawl.
I am sure that we sailed together on the S.A.Merchant I was extra 2nd them 2nd Eng.
Are you still active interested? Have some photos.
DWB

·
Registered
179 Posts
beermats of Safmarine cargo ships

I am not sure where I have got them from but I have a small blue box printed on the top 'with the compliments of Safmarine the box contains 6 square cork beer mats with black and white photographs of S.a. Tzaneen, S.a. Van Der Stell, S.a. Shipper, S.a Drakenstein, S.a.Merchant ,S.a. Statesman. The box is in excellent condition and the contents look like they have never been used. Anybody interested in them send me a personal message.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Can anyone tell me where the offices of Safmarine were in Cape Town in the 60/70s?

Thank you.
Hi Sparkie,

Just asked Dad who was with them in the 60's:

South African Life Centre,
Thybault Square
Capetown.

He doesn't think there was another office on the Docks as there was in Durban

Keep safe

·
Registered
526 Posts
safmarine

I am not sure where I have got them from but I have a small blue box printed on the top 'with the compliments of Safmarine the box contains 6 square cork beer mats with black and white photographs of S.a. Tzaneen, S.a. Van Der Stell, S.a. Shipper, S.a Drakenstein, S.a.Merchant ,S.a. Statesman. The box is in excellent condition and the contents look like they have never been used. Anybody interested in them send me a personal message.
i have 2 sets from the safmarine days - one as you mention - except mine are place mats and the other set is also place mats with sa vaal amongst others - refer to images attached

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
safmarine - union castle

I have both firmly fixed in my mind.
Thank you.

I was walking by the Waterfront complex only a few years ago.
there is a building in durban called victoria mansions on the old vicoria embankment that depicts a union castle line - on the top of the entrance to the building - it might be of interest to you

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts