Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Stephen

What was perfect about the grey of the hulls of both Sagafjord and Vistafjord was that it was a green/yellow shade. When the ships were taken on by Cunard this was changed to a more regular pale grey. A perfectly acceptable colour but nowhere as smart as the distinctive NAL shade. The livery that Sagafjord wore during her brief time as Gripsholm is a total mess. The Transocean logo looks all wrong on her shapely funnel and the two shades of blue stripes along her hull are wholly unnecessary. They are placed too low and accentuate her sheer, which does not need to be accentuated. It was fortunate that this was only a brief time in her lengthy life. The Saga livery was a great improvement and I think she looked better in Saga colours than in Cunard colours. However, the scheme that you suggest would have been better still.

Clive

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Clive,

A better description of the NAL 'grey' was more of a 'warm grey', not greenish but grey with a touch of ochre or buff. The shade of grey works with the funnel buff. definitely not just a 'fluke', NAL were quite right to pick a perfect colour. Transocean was a mess as you said, but I could live with it... with eyes half shut! What I didn't like, apart from the messy stripes, was the white funnel. Blah! Sadly, when Saga bought the wanted a new livery. They kept the Transocean thin black top but changed to blue with a very thin white stripe and then the canary yellow. It didn't carry very well. The funnel already had great welded stripes from NAL, it would have been so easy to make the blue top wider and then a nice white stripe and the yellow. Even if the yellow was more buff! Someone told me that wanted a Britannia type blue. Imagine of the funnel had gone for Britannia pale buff. Nice!

Now it is 2019 and the new Saga ship is close to completion. The Saga livery is going to be stunning in their blue and yellow. She will look perfect compared to almost 99% 'all white' ships.

Stephen

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Saga stipulated that no photographs were to be taken of the ship during the scrapping. The surveyor was on site was there to ensure that all legal requirements as far as disposal of any asbestos, lead, unused oils etc. The surveyor also took photos that were given to Saga. All of this material is not available and is kept in the company vault. This photo shown above was one that was taken 'illegally'. To my knowledge this is the only photo that has ever surfaced.

When the ship arrived in the yard the ship was hosed down with fresh water. All flags up. The ship was clean and even all of the beds were made up! A team of the final voyage did all of the work when the handover was made. Sad ending of a great ship.

Stephen

·
Registered
526 Posts
saga rose - saga ruby

Saga stipulated that no photographs were to be taken of the ship during the scrapping. The surveyor was on site was there to ensure that all legal requirements as far as disposal of any asbestos, lead, unused oils etc. The surveyor also took photos that were given to Saga. All of this material is not available and is kept in the company vault. This photo shown above was one that was taken 'illegally'. To my knowledge this is the only photo that has ever surfaced.

When the ship arrived in the yard the ship was hosed down with fresh water. All flags up. The ship was clean and even all of the beds were made up! A team of the final voyage did all of the work when the handover was made. Sad ending of a great ship.

Stephen
thank you for the feed back regarding the image of the saga rose scrapping - and to be honest - surprised at your comment - not because i disagree with it - but because there were a lot of images of her counter part - the saga ruby - at the breakers - all images obtained on public domain fyi

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Ye Old Se Dog,

Great photo of the RUBY. First photos of her scrapping I have ever seen.

The difference between RUBY and ROSE.... Saga were in charge of the ROSE right to the end. With RUBY the ship had been sold for further 'use' and Saga could not control over the event.

Thanks for the RUBY photos. I'd love to see all of the cruise ships that SHOULD be scrapped!!!

Stephen

21 - 29 of 29 Posts