Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SAGAMORE and EDENMORE were two medium size ore carriers built at the Blythswood yard for Furness Withy and SAGAMORE is seen here inbound to Glasgow.
She was scrapped in 1992 as CAPETAN ALBERTO.EDENMORE went in 1984 as WELCOME.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Also EDENMORE became Italian ,after WELCOME she became DUGLASIA and
was scrapped a few time later CAPITAN ALBERTO .

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also remember a similar ore carrier BEECHWOOD I think becoming an Italian ship,CAPETAN FRANCO V I think and was very colourful.Will look for photo.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Yes you have good memory CAPITANO FRANCO V was BEECHWOOD and had
a sister build as ALDERSGATE and scapped as DANUBE in middle 80s.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sagamore/Aldersgate

They say you learn a little every day and today it is my turn big-time. I sailed on the Sagamore for BISCO running between Workington and Russia(mostly) in 1972/3. Never realised that it was a near sister to the Aldersgate which I sailed on as a very young cadet in 1967 from South Wales to Rio (of all places!) and back to Rotterdam. The memories don't come flooding back, too much water under the keel for that, but I remember arriving at Rio on a ship almost out of fresh water and enjoying the local "night" life. I believe that the Aldersgate was owned or managed by the Bishopgate Shipping Company. Happy days!

·
Registered
7 Posts
FROM THE SUN NEWSPAPER JANUARY 1976
Aship cat has been saved from death by a special clause in a boat bying contract.
Furness Withy the british ship owners,insistthat the Italian buyers should do there best to keep the Siamese cat Princess Truban Tao-Tai,happy in her old age.
And that means the cat who has never left the 15,500-ton Sagamore since she joind the crew in 1959 will continue to have the run of the captains cabin
the Princess has traveld more than 1.5 million miles in the Sagamore and Furness Withy pleaded with the Italians not to have her put down.They eventually agree.A Furness Withy spokesman said "She is coming to the twilight of her life now and we didnt want to see her distroyed

·
Registered
54 Posts
does anybody remember the sagamore sailed from dublin in 73, to rio it was my first deep sea trip as a deck boy, the bosun was sandy maccloud would like to here from any crew members from the ship or any photos

·
Registered
54 Posts
hi mick it must have been about the same time i sailed in her , dublin to rio we had two weeks at anchor in rio nearly lost half the crew what a trip

·
Registered
987 Posts
As a Furness Withy apprentice I got orders to join one of them, the Sagamore I think it was, but the orders were changed before I got there. They seemed to spend most of their time running between Canada and Port Talbot in those days.
CBoots

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I seem to remember that the Sagamore caught fire in one of the Welsh ports with the loss of 1 life,the sparkie I seem to recall. Apparently they were having a christmas party for some local kids and the decorations caught fire. I sailed on the Edenmore, lovely job. Cheers Jan.

·
Registered
54 Posts
sailed on the sagamore in 73 great mixed crew English Irish Scots and welsh the only names i can remember is sandy mcleod bosun from stornoway and a Des jack from Dublin

·
Registered
18 Posts
M.V. Sagamore

Shipmates,

I have found that information regarding the Sagamore is very hard to come by. Very few books make reference to this particular vessel at all and the internet turns up next to nothing.

The only information that I have been able to obtain so far is the fact that the Sagamore was owned by FURNESS WITHY & CO LTD and was built in 1957. She was approx. 10,792t, with a total length of 505 ft and breadth of 67 ft.

Any information/photos/stories regarding this particular vessel would be greatly appreciated. I would also be delighted to hear from anyone who actually served on the Sagamore.

Kind Regards,

BPCadet

·
Registered
6 Posts
M V Sagamore

One of 2 ore carriers operated by Furness Withy.Sister ship was M V Edenmore.Both had Johnston Warren type names ending in -more.
Sagamore was built in Glasgow 1957 and Edenmore completed in 1958. Both mainly operated on charter to British Steel Corporation.
Hope this helps.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Ian and Nigel,
Thank you for your good support (with the gentle and kind reminder that it is good to do a 'search' using the key word) - BPCadet's thread [which starts at # 15 and then your # 16 and #17] has now been merged with this main Sagamore thread, which was started way back on 12th October 2004.
(Thumb)
Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shipmates,

I have found that information regarding the Sagamore is very hard to come by. Very few books make reference to this particular vessel at all and the internet turns up next to nothing.

The only information that I have been able to obtain so far is the fact that the Sagamore was owned by FURNESS WITHY & CO LTD and was built in 1957. She was approx. 10,792t, with a total length of 505 ft and breadth of 67 ft.

Any information/photos/stories regarding this particular vessel would be greatly appreciated. I would also be delighted to hear from anyone who actually served on the Sagamore.

Kind Reg

BPCadet
Hi Reg
I sailed on the Sagamore. Joined her in 1958 as S.O.S. I believe it was her 3rd voyage,
Stayed on her until she was laid up in Blackwater Creek in 59. Lack of orders.
I joined her again as A.B. in 1959.
I can only speak highly of the ship. The food was spendid. The Officers and crew mingled very well. The Captain on both occasions was a slightly built man from Wales I believe ,the Ist Officer was Mr Taylor(quite a chatacter)
The Bosun was from Cardiff (Great man)
Did all the Iron Ore Ports...Narvik ....Oslo ....Seven Islands... Belle Isle...Lisbon....Algiers... Casablanca... Monrovia...Vitoria.
Verey happy memories.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I remember the good ship "Sagamore"
I was the agent for the Furness Withy Group back in the 70's when the Sagamore called at the West Thurrock Power Station just before she was sold.
I also recall the special clause in the sale contract when the ships Cat had to spend the rest of her natural life onboard the vessel in the masters cabln.

I also have a picture of the cat. I will see if I can find it and upload the picture.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts