Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to establish the itinerary of this ship for December 1910. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
"Saghalien" (1880; 4050 grt) From 1898 transferred from Far East to 'Levant' routes. Marseilles, Alexandria etc, Beirut.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Eddyw.

I'm aware that the 'Saghalian' departed somewhere on or about 2nd December 1910 and some days later it was steaming east and docked in Naples. The ship later reached Athens and Izmir (Turkey) and Constantinople. After that the ship appears to have headed south again in the direction of Syria. I'm looking for dates and places.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
One of the convoluted itineraries about this period is given as Marseilles, Naples, Piraeus, Smyrna, Dardanelles, Constantinople, Vathy or Rhodes, Beirut, Larnaca, Mersina, Alexandretta, Lattaquie, Tripoli, Beirut, Jaffa, Caiffa, Beirut. Though of course it might have varied according to inducement. Note that name is definitely spelt "Saghalien" which might help with your enquiries.
https://www.wrecksite.eu/img/wrecks/saghalien_sc_15.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eddyw, once again many thanks. When I earlier wrote that the ship departed 'somewhere' on or about 2nd December 1910 I guess that somewhere was Marseilles. Thanks too for the photo of the ship and the correct spelling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts