Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks to oldsalt1 for a good write-up. I should mention that after leaving the Sunek in Kitimat, I went to work for Alcan, Kitimat. It was with nostalgia that I visited Saguenay ships in Kitimat. (All my old crew-mates had my phone number) It's true what they say, "It's difficult to swallow the anchor"
Eventually did time with Canadian Armed Forces, Sea Element.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I spent 2 years on the Sunwalker and Sunbrayton, 1968-1970 on the weekly run between Mackenzie, Guyana and Chagaramas, Trinidadian. Skippers were Hobbes, Roberts, McOnie and Pakri. It was a bit 'wild' but great fun and lucrative. During the 2 years there was growing 'nationalisation' as officer jobs had to be filled by Guyanese nationals - usually Demerera river pilots.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Old shipmates

I spent 2 years on the Sunwalker and Sunbrayton, 1968-1970 on the weekly run between Mackenzie, Guyana and Chagaramas, Trinidadian. Skippers were Hobbes, Roberts, McOnie and Pakri. It was a bit 'wild' but great fun and lucrative. During the 2 years there was growing 'nationalisation' as officer jobs had to be filled by Guyanese nationals - usually Demerera river pilots.
You mentioned skippers Hobbs and Roberts.
Both names ring a bell.
Chief mate on the Sunek 1966 was Roberts.
He was English with a large family and had a large house in South England. Had lived in British Guana (probably born there)
Had lived and worked in Canada probably in the Great Lakes area.
I think he served in WW11
Was a great help in assisting me to pay-off in Canada

·
Registered
489 Posts
Capt Roberts

You're right, he was raised in Georgetown, Guyana.

His brother was editor of one of the local papers...maybe the Guyana Graphic, and a very nice house right next to the cricket ground where we went for dinner and drinks one night with my missus who stayed in Guyana for 3 months at the Park Hotel.

Alan Hobbes left Saguenay and became a Humber pilot.

Did you sail with Eddie Wells, by any chance, when with Saguenay. He and I did our tickets together and used to meet up when on leave. He's now living in Canada.

·
Registered
23 Posts
shipmates

You're right, he was raised in Georgetown, Guyana.

His brother was editor of one of the local papers...maybe the Guyana Graphic, and a very nice house right next to the cricket ground where we went for dinner and drinks one night with my missus who stayed in Guyana for 3 months at the Park Hotel.

Alan Hobbes left Saguenay and became a Humber pilot.

Did you sail with Eddie Wells, by any chance, when with Saguenay. He and I did our tickets together and used to meet up when on leave. He's now living in Canada.
I do not recall Eddie Wells.
I was 4th. Eng.
I remember one navigator from Trinidad
One Engishman who emigrated to Vancouver.
Cadet was Hemmings.
3rd. Mate Patrick Peirce was from India and ex-BNI
He visited me regularly in Kitimat and decided to also emigrate to Canada.
He paid off in Panama and found his way to Vancouver, and worked on the BC. coast eventually becoming a BC pilot residing in Victoria.
We met when I was in the Canadian Forces visiting Esquimalt.
He now lives in Abbotsford BC and we are in frequent communication.
When I was on the Sunek we had three Greek junior engineers, recruited in Rotterdam.
I was on the Sunek when we collided with, and sank, the Lawrencliffe Hall in the St. Lawrence River.
Had a good time in Levis dry-dock

·
Registered
489 Posts
Bob Hemmings, the cadet, was a real "Jack the lad". He sailed with me as an uncertificated 3/0 on 'the shuttle'. He couldn't take his drink.

I met him some years later in South Wales, along with Eddie Wells. He had married a school teacher and was very much under her control. The thumb print was clearly visible on the top of his head!

I was on a cruise last December on the Queen Victoria and met one of the engineers who worked on the Sunek at the drydock back then. Small world!

·
Registered
23 Posts
We took Hemmings ashore in Bellingham, Washington. Aged 19 he was not permitted to drink, but he sat along-side us, in the restaurant section separated by a rope. He drank coke.
Miltos the Greek junior kept topping-up Hemmings coke with rum. OK till Miltos dropped the rum bottle on the floor. The waitress (Madam Hitler) dashed over and sniffed the "Coke"
We got out just before the arrival of the "Boys in blue"

Always wondered about Hemmings after we introduced him to "Demon rum" after the 8-12 watch

canada tom

·
Registered
23 Posts
which engineer/

Was it a ships's engineer or one of the dockies?
Our second Peter Allan was big and a Scot. The 3rd Joe Markof was from Yorkshire.
Then Tom a hard working 4th.
I did all the nights on board
I took bunkers. I took the first night on board. Joe did the second night.
But we were seldom in port 2 nights.
Hence the 2nd never had nights on board.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The missus has just reminded me. The engineer is French Canadian, and is first name is Giles. He worked for Saguenay for about 5 years, I believe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
French Canadian Engineer

We did have a FC eng. cadet. He lived in the Gaspe peninsula.
Originally worked on the "Lakers"
Deep sea time was equivalent double the lakes time.
His intention was to return to the lakes as wages there were excellent.
We dry docked at the Davey shipyard.
I was contacted by a Quebecois, who had resided on the banks of the St.Lawrence close to our collision point.
He sent me an excellent copy (in French) of the report he had compiled.
One evening, waiting for the bus, outside the Davey Yard, in the company of Mac, my welsh Junior, a Quebesoise lady said, in English,
"Have you been here long?"
Mac said, "Six weeks"
The lady replied, "Then, I haven't missed the bus."

True! I didn't make that one up.
canada tom

·
Registered
489 Posts
Giles

Hi Canada Tom,

I laughed out loud ("lol" as my daughters tell me) at the bus story.

Here's a photo of Giles, the engineer.....40 years on from when you met him (if indeed you did). He's on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Canada Tom,Amazing ! Blast from the Past I rememberboth Pete Allan & Joe Markam I joined the Sunrhea in Port Esquvel Jamaica 6 March 1968 as 4th Engineer and paid off in Rotterdam 21st December 1968 with Jimmy Carolan
2/eng & Joe Markam 3/eng did Kitimat, Sundsval Sweden. Marseilles France there for 2weeks height of summer Good criagh John Richards

·
Registered
23 Posts
small world

Canada Tom,Amazing ! Blast from the Past I rememberboth Pete Allan & Joe Markam I joined the Sunrhea in Port Esquvel Jamaica 6 March 1968 as 4th Engineer and paid off in Rotterdam 21st December 1968 with Jimmy Carolan
2/eng & Joe Markam 3/eng did Kitimat, Sundsval Sweden. Marseilles France there for 2weeks height of summer Good criagh John Richards
I think Peter Allan went on the Lakes.
Joe Markham was on the Sunrhea after the
Sunek
Met both of them regularly in the bar in Kitimat
(there was only one bar)
This thread is sure spinning out; that's good,

·
Registered
23 Posts
in the bar

I think Peter Allan went on the Lakes.
Joe Markham was on the Sunrhea after the
Sunek
Met both of them regularly in the bar in Kitimat
(there was only one bar)
This thread is sure spinning out; that's good,
Maybe we met in the Kitimat bar.
There were other crew members in the bar with Joe.
I'm a Scot and at that time worked at the Alcan smelter

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi Canada Tom, I do remember the bar @ The Kitimat Hotel in fact we where in there one night and a Big Brown Bear was trying to get in the foyer of the hotel ! The manager shood it away, he said they are coming out of hibernation because the smell of the bakerey then they go routing in the bins. I vaugely remember another place we used to drink a resturant something resembeling a Swiss Chalet also some meeting like a Caledionian Club Pipes and a band dancing etc or was that somewhere else. I might have met you , we used to talk to some lads from the Alcan Plant good atmosphere. I remember going ashore one night and looking up at these huge banks of snow that had been cleared by the snow plough , the driver said they had 26 foot of snow recently. Anyway Tom I have fond memories of Kitimat, We sent one of the J/E`s ashore to buy a rifle for target shooting we had permision of the Skipper, The J/E came back with a 308 cal bear rifle and a bag of bullets! I took it back and bought a more sensible 22 rifle and boxes of ammo, left the rifle onboard when we paid off in Rotterdam. Cheers Tom. John Richards

·
Registered
489 Posts
The chief engineers on the shuttle boats I sailed on were Karl Reinholdt and (I think), Fred? Williams.....but there was a third one who was something of a character/oddball whose name I can't remember. For the 6 months he spent on board he just has a bag the size of an aircraft carry-on bag.

I understand that he'd inherited a load of shares for the LaBatt breweries, and was worth a mint. Reputedly his home address was the penthouse flat at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in downtown Montreal. His personal hygiene left much to be desired, but fortunately he took his meals in his cabin.

Did you come across him?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Sailed on a 13 month voyage on the "Sunjarv" on charter to Saguenay. We were on the bauxite trade.
Part cargos from Mackenzie, Guyana and top up in Chuagaramus, Trinidad. Thence to either Europe, usually Norway, or to Port Alfred. We also did one trip from Port Alfred to Kitimat.

Derek
Was the "Sunjarv" owned and manned by Elder Dempster personnel.?
Johnl

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
In 1958 I joined Constantines in Middlesbrough in their agency department, the most hated job was the sending out of Cargo Circulars for the regular Saguanay Sailings....we employed a Cargo Canvasser in MIddlesbrough. The Head Office in London was the joint UK Representative for the Line along with Bahr Behrend in Liverpool. Whilst Avonmouth figured on some sailings, then Liverpool, we were more interested in the Glasgow & Tees loadings where we were agents. These circulars had to be issued within 48 hours of our receipt of stemming and that meant that if the girls couldn't get the Banda to do the labels then I, as office boy, had to take about 250 of them home and handwrite the addresses..........then post them the following day.

This service was full Liner only and was to the West Indies,multi-port, with a wide variety of goods, mainly industrial and agricultural....they were loaded at Dents Wharf in Middlesbrough.

Saguanay UK Ltd had an office on London Wall I believe..

geoff

21 - 40 of 71 Posts