Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently writing a fictionalised version of my grandmother's story - she left East Cork around 1923-1924 aged 15/16 to work in England, joining her sister and brother in or near Oldham, Manchester.
I gather the City of Cork Steam Packet (poss B+I Line) went to Liverpool, which seems the most likely way she would travel rather than via Dublin. Of all the stories she told, I don't remember the details of this journey, apart from the devastation she felt at leaving..
I would appreciate any and all guidance about this please: I would like to have some authentic and accurate details about the possible journey and how she would have travelled, so will be grateful for directions to websites, books etc.
I didn't realise the B+I Line went back so far: it played a significant role in our ealry childhood, never lost the joy of the journey "home" on the Innisfallen or one of the others every summer, always felt like such an adventure. 馃槂
Thanks in advance! Marina

Registered
In 1923/24 the City of Cork SP Co ran twice weekly to Liverpool using the steamships "Kenmare" (1921, 1,675 grt) and "Ardmore" (1918; 1,145 grt). Service speed was just over 14 knots giving a passage time of about 22 hours. As well as passengers , cargo and livestock were carried.. Departures were from Penrose Quay, Cork with passengers being landed at Liverpool landing stage before the ship entered the dock system to discharge cargo. Kenmare carried 75 'saloon' passengers for whom there were cabins, dining saloon and lounge. 'Steerage' passengers were accommodated in the after part of the ship in rather more spartan conditions. This information comes from "The Irish Boats- Vol 2" by Malcolm McRonald (Tempus 2006). I suggest consulting Cork newspapers of the period for adverts ( for sailing times, fares etc) and also features about the "Kenmare" (new in 1921) which might describe accommodation details etc.

Registered
1604520708387.png
Circa. 1890's - Liverpool (Nelson Dock) to Cork : City of Cork boats. On Tues.,
Thurs., Sat., tidal service. Fares : 17s. 6d., 10.s.; return (2 months) 25s., 15s.

1917- all the Irish cross channel shipping Co''s taken over by Coast Lines

1920 to 1923 - 'SS Classic' - was chartered to the City of Cork SP Co. for the Cork 鈥 Liverpool 鈥 Fishguard services

Registered
1 - 4 of 4 Posts